• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bleudauvergne

Cooking with 'The Cooking of Southwest France'

379 posts in this topic

Klary, your madeleines look way better than mine do. I'm afraid that it's my pan, which is a new mini-madeleine. I'm thinking that the little ridges are too tiny to really make a good impression on the dough. Bummer! But the texture of these madeleines is very nice, and we too talked abiout wanting more orange flavor next time.

I made my annual batch of quince paste at the same time I was doing the madeleines, so we were on the same wavelength.

Made the eggplant & garlic dish. Super. I used the Herbes de la Garrigue. It's so simple to make even my DILs will enjoy making it.

But did I read the directions right? Wrap each piece in foil separately? As I was only doing a test run for 1 serving, that's what I did. Next time when I make a larger amount, I will put them in a gratin dish covered with foil, then uncover briefly before taking out of the oven. (I don't like having my food right on foil.)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Made the eggplant & garlic dish. Super. I used the Herbes de la Garrigue. It's so simple to make even my DILs will enjoy making it.

But did I read the directions right? Wrap each piece in foil separately? As I was only doing a test run for 1 serving, that's what I did. Next time when I make a larger amount, I will put them in a gratin dish covered with foil, then uncover briefly before taking out of the oven. (I don't like having my food right on foil.)

I've wrapped mine individually as instructed & they've turned out fine. Think its the individual steaming that's wanted.

Let us know how the other method turns out.

I've wrapped mine individually as instructed & they've turned out fine. Think its the individual steaming that's wanted.

I think you're right. There was a bit of caramelization on one of the two pieces I made. That's why I thought I'd give it a shot of heat uncovered at the end if I make them in a gratin dish.

It'll be a while til I do this again as there are so many other dishes I want to try. I'm looking around for something different for T-day sides

It'll be a while til I do this again as there are so many other dishes I want to try. I'm looking around for something different for T-day sides

Make "Michel Bras' Stuffed Onions". I made them last year for xmas and they were a big hit.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Make "Michel Bras' Stuffed Onions". I made them last year for xmas and they were a big hit.

That's next on my list of "to trys." I love onions and have other onion dishes up my holiday sleeve typically. (A pissaladiere and Judy Rodgers' super pickled red onions.) If the Stuffed Onions turn out really well, I'll bump the onion tart. Sometimes I'll make sweet/sour cippolini for the holidays, but I like that better than my family does.

That's next on my list of "to trys." I love onions and have other onion dishes up my holiday sleeve typically. (A pissaladiere and Judy Rodgers' super pickled red onions.) If the Stuffed Onions turn out really well, I'll bump the onion tart. Sometimes I'll make sweet/sour cippolini for the holidays, but I like that better than my family does.

Yeap, love onion dishes as well...I like it when people are surprised that onions are not just there to be used as a base, they can stand their own. For this Thanksgiving I am debating making those onions again or an Onion Gratin that looks great in Jamie Oliver's new book. That's a discussion for a different thread though.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I'm new to eGullet, but have been cooking from this book for about 6 months. Having just returned from a cooking school in the Perigord, I could cook and eat this kind of food everyday.

My question is about the "Chicken in a Pot" (page 144) which is served with steamed vegetables and green sauce (page 145)- a deeply satisfying meal.

My problem is with the green sauce, which breaks every time I make it. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? Anyone see anything in this simple sauce that could be the cause? Any ideas how to fix it once it's broken? TIA.

Bill/SFNM

I think you're right. There was a bit of caramelization on one of the two pieces I made. That's why I thought I'd give it a shot of heat uncovered at the end if I make them in a gratin dish.

Not sure, but I'll look forward to hearing the results.

As you know although these eggplants taste great Its not the prettiest dish on the block. To help I sauteed some red bell peppers julienned lengthways. Sliced the eggplant lengthways into 6ths then sort of wove the two together over a bit of salad & sprinkled over the pan juices from the peppers. Looked a lot better & the flavours complimented well. Still wouldn't win any beauty contests, but c'est le vie.

:laugh: Very inventive. The ugliness factor is a problem when you're thinking of using this for entertaining.

Another possibility would be to chop it up and use it to make tartines, garnishing with the peppers.

:laugh: Very inventive. The ugliness factor is a problem when you're thinking of using this for entertaining.

Another possibility would be to chop it up and use it to make tartines, garnishing with the peppers.

Good thought!

From the "necessity is the mother ..." department, I was making the Creme de Potiron (p. 67) this weekend and had run out of homemade chicken stock. I had a carton of store-bought stock to which I added some leftover duck confit gel (p. 201). I used one cup of confit juice to 3 cups of stock. I would say the results were even better than using homemade stock.

Bill/SFNM

Edited by Bill/SFNM (log)

I made the "casserole of duck breasts with potatoes as prepared in the Bigorre" tonight. I think this is one of the easiest dishes in the book. I bought a large duckbreast today, not really knowing what I was going to do with it, browsed through the book and realized I had everything else for the recipe already in my fridge.

Despite this 'simplicity', it's a gem. Really really good. Potatoes browned in duckfat, now there's nothing wrong with that, but the juices of the duckbreast seeping into it while it finishes cooking on top of the potatocake, make it really special.

gallery_21505_2929_78216.jpg

I also made the celeriac/applepuree. Now I have a question about that. I cooked the celeriac and apple in milk as stated, but the acidity from the apple (I think) caused the milk to curdle and when I drained the pan there were lots of big and small curds. I picked out the largest ones (and ate them, very good actually, apply/celeriacy curds! :smile: ) but the small ones were still visible even after pureeing. It did not affect the taste but it looked a bit weird. Did I do anything wrong?

Klary, that happened to me once recently when I used low fat milk, but I've cooked the celery root and apples in whole milk several times without any curdling. Your duck breast looks fantastic!

Bill, what a good idea. I'm always looking for a use for duck jelly. It wasn't too salty with a full cup? Mine is always sort of like demi-glace, really intense.

last night we made the cabbage cake with sausage. it tastes really good (we aren't big cabbage fans but got some in our farmers box so wanted to use it) but it looked a mess. I think the sausages need to be cut thinner, it asked for them to be 1 1/3" thick. Also I'm sure I needed more fat in the pan.

But as I said it tasted really good and next time we get a cabbage we'll try it again!

Absolutly picture perfect meals Klary and Wendy! These onions are truly a triumph.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I'm in the early days of cassoulet production. I have my confit made, my various pork products purchased and I'm exploring my bean options. So cassoulet question. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask it, but since I suspect Paula follows this thread, here goes.

There is always mention when cassoulet is discussed about stirring in the crust up to 7 times. I somehow pictured this as turning over the entire casserole, however as I read the instructions on page 319 it reads 'Gently stir up the skin that has formed on the beans'. So does this mean that we simply 'disturb' the crust a few times, or does actual stirring happen?

..... I'm exploring my bean options....

[hijack]

Kerry, When you sort out your bean situation, please post a note here [or in the Vancouver / Western Canada section] saying what, from where, and how it worked.

We brought a pound or so of Tarbais beans back to BC from a european summer vacation and intend to try planting them in the spring, but meanwhile, what to use? The conift's aging, the homemade sausage is waiting, the weather is definitely saying cassoulet....

[/hijack]

cheers

Derek

I just lightly turn over the entire top layer, one spoonful at a time, only a spoon's width or so deep.

Thank you for clarifying this for me. This is how I shall do it. (when I get to that point - this really is a major project)

[hijack]

Kerry, When you sort out your bean situation, please post a note here [or in the Vancouver / Western Canada section] saying what, from where, and how it worked.

We brought a pound or so of Tarbais beans back to BC from a european summer vacation and intend to try planting them in the spring, but meanwhile, what to use? The conift's aging, the homemade sausage is waiting, the weather is definitely saying cassoulet....

[/hijack]

cheers

Derek

Now I have Tarbais envy. I've brought back any number of things from Europe over the years, but until now didn't realize I should have got Tarbais. I'll let you know what beans I decide on, but I don't have a basis of comparison, never having had cassoulet before.

[hijack]

[/hijack]

cheers

Derek

I recently made up a big batch of cassoulet from scratch using duck confit sous vide and Toulouse Sausage from Paula's book (although not her recipe for cassoultet). I used French Tarbais beans for the first time and couldn't detect any benefit over less expensive and more available white beans.

Bill/SFNM

[hijack]

[/hijack]

cheers

Derek

I recently made up a big batch of cassoulet from scratch using duck confit sous vide and Toulouse Sausage from Paula's book (although not her recipe for cassoultet). I used French Tarbais beans for the first time and couldn't detect any benefit over less expensive and more available white beans.

Bill/SFNM

So what white beans would you use if you didn't have access to the Tarbais?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By weinoo
      Le Coucou is the new restaurant (opened for reals last week) collaboration between restaurateur Stephen Starr and Chef Daniel Rose of Spring, a fairly acclaimed restaurant located in Paris. That backstory need not be explained here; suffice to say that Significant Eater and I have had the pleasure of dining at both the tiny Spring 1 (once), and the more ambitious Spring 2 (a number of times), and it was always a fun and delicious time.

Plenty of restaurants open in New York City; often they come with lots and lots of hype. Le Coucou is certainly one of them, as the PR bandwagon got rolling a while ago. And normally we like to give restaurants at least a little while to get their footing, but with this one we just couldn't wait, so off we were to Lafayette Street - on night two of service. I didn't even know if we'd get a table, since we were sans ressies, but we figured we could just grab a cocktail, even if we couldn't have dinner. But arriving early, we were offered a table by the charming Maître D' and lovely hostesses and hosts, though we did have a drink first, in their rather intimate lounge area.

Now, I'd introduced myself and Sig Eater to Daniel at Spring years ago, as a friend of a friend. And again, when we were lucky enough to dine at the new Spring. But here, even before I was seated, Daniel (who had zero idea we were coming to have dinner) was by our side, greeting me by name and with hugs and cheek kisses - you know, that lovely French way. And even though he looked like he wanted nothing more than to pass out on the extremely comfortable banquette, he returned to our table any number of time during our meal, to make sure we were enjoying our dinner, to see if there was anything we'd like him to "whip up." Basically the consummate host.

French has been seeing a serious revival in NYC over the past couple of years, and that makes us happy, as we love French cooking.  I mean, one need look no further than Rebelle, or Racines, or MIMI, or Chevalier, or...well, you get the picture. And here, with classic French technique executed fairly flawlessly, we were in heaven. One of our favorite dishes is a simple Poireaux, poached leeks served in a bracing vinaigrette. Here, chef adds a little something extra, topping the leeks with sweet, roasted hazelnuts. What about fried Delaware eel? Normally, my eel exposure is limited to sushi bars, where the earthy eel get a sweetish topping. At Le Coucou, the Anguilles frites au sarassin are as light as a feather, the eel's buckwheat batter playing well with curried vinaigrette and a subtle brunoise of citrus.

Mimolette is a French cheese that as recently as a few years ago had its import halted by the food police, aka the FDA. It's back, and here it graces Asperges au vinaigre de bois. It's a simple lightly-roasted asparagus salad, made special by a smoked wood vinegar sourced somewhere in the wilds of Canada.

Asparagus salad
      One of the dishes chef sent to our table was a knockout - a whole sea bream stuffed with lobster - and my guess is the menu is changing daily, because as I look while writing this, it's not on the online menu now. But here's a picture anyway.

Lobster stuffed sea bream
       A classic of the French culinary canon is Quenelle de brochet. As Julia says in Mastering the Art I, "A quenelle, for those who are not familiar with this delicate triumph of French cooking, is pâte à choux with a purée of raw fish...formed into ovals or cylinders and poached in a seasoned liquid. Served hot in good sauce, quenelles make a distinguished first course. A good quenelle is light as a soufflé..."

Quenelle de brochet, sauce américaine
      Yes it is. And indeed it was. Our main course, which we shared because we wanted to save room for cheeses, was Bourride, a Provencal fish stew that might be known in places like Nice as bouillabaisse. Here, the fabulous fish fumet is stocked with halibut, mussels, clams, and Santa Barbara spot prawns. Served alongside, toasted baguette slathered with aïoli. Suck the head of those prawns, dip the bread, and pretend you're somewhere other than Chinatown - it's easy enough, once inside, because this is a lovely space.

Our 3-cheese selection (all American) was swoon-worthy to Significant Eater, and served alongside was an accompaniment of 3 different beverages, which I don't really know if everyone gets - or if Daniel was just being extra nice to us.

Speaking of nice, the service staff is super. There was a horde of people working on both the floor and in the kitchen. The front of house people were professional, yet casual. There have a been a few notable restaurant openings this year, where service has been a bit "clumsy." Not here, where everyone is on the same page, and that enhances the experience greatly.

What else can I write? Well, I am sad we didn't get to enjoy dessert - we just ate too damn much, but next time! And while we were unexpectedly treated like old friends, with 3 comped dishes from the kitchen and a couple of glasses of champagne when we sat down at our table, I looked around the restaurant any number of times, and everyone sure looked happy. The wine list is extensive - maybe that's part of the reason? There are tablecloths on the tables. There are comfortable chairs. Reservations are taken. All grown-up stuff. But most of all, once you taste this cooking, I think you're going to be happy as well.

Le Coucou

• By borgr
      I want to leave my sourdough (itself, not baked loaves of sourdough bread) for a while (going abroad) but I do not want it to die, can I leave it in the freezer? do you have other ideas?
    • By Lisa Shock
      The team over at Modernist Cuisine announced today that their next project will be an in-depth exploration of bread. I personally am very excited about this, I had been hoping their next project would be in the baking and pastry realm. Additionally, Francisco Migoya will be head chef and Peter Reinhart will assignments editor for this project which is expected to be a multi-volume affair.
    • By Chris Hennes
      While not a new cookbook by any means, I haven't really had time to dig into this one until now. We've previously discussed the recipes in Jerusalem: A Cookbook, but not much has been said about Plenty. So, here goes...

Chickpea saute with Greek yogurt (p. 211)

This was a great way to kick off my time with this book. The flavors were outstanding, particularly the use of the caraway seeds and lemon juice. I used freshly-cooked Rancho Gordo chickpeas, which of course helps! The recipe was not totally trivial, but considering the flavors developed, if you don't count the time to cook the chickpeas it came together very quickly. I highly recommend this dish.
    • By Bickery
      Hey Everyone! I'm kinda new to all this, so excuse any violation of mores.
      Searching google for anything on Mr. Steingarten on the web led me to
      this forum. It appears te me that most of you are food professionals or
      nearly that, while i'm just a 21-yr old student who likes to cook.

I own both Jeffries books, and i've started putting together a list of
      all the books he sort of recommends in his writing. Thus came an idea
      for this forum, wouldn't it be fun to concoct a list of say 50
      cookbooks from the world over? I everybody, and hopefully mr
      Steingarten along with them, would contribute his or hers favourote
      books, this could be very interesting.

Due to my limited library on the subject (most cookbooks i've read are
      mom's) i shall begin by contributing my current favourite.

I shall put it in last place, because i'm sure a lot of you will have
      thing to say on the subject.

so:

50. La cucina essentiale - Stefano Cavallini

I hope a lot of suggestions will follow!

Yours Truly,

Rik

(Host's Note: Thanks to eG member marmish, who has compiled a list of everything mentioned as of the end of July 2009: it can be found here. -CH)