• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guinness in Dublin

Hi spaceman. I presume you'll be in central Dublin, so here are a few recommendations to start off:

* The Gravity Bar, a must for a Guinness lover. Located in the Guinness brewery museum off James' St, the views over the city are amazing. There is a charge into the museum, but its interesting and you'll get the best pint possible.

* The Palace Bar Fleet St, a really authentic Victorian pub with great Guinness

* Mulligans, Poolbeg St held by many to serve the best pint in Dublin

* Keogh's, Sth Anne St, McDaid's, Harry St , good Guinness, good atmosphere

* Neary's, Chatham St, for a quieter pint (nice in the afternoon with a newspaper)

* Doheny & Nesbitt's, Baggott St, Dublin's alternative news source, frequented by hacks, politicians, business people and all sorts. You could strike up some interesting conversations here over a good pint of Guinness. Stay in the old narrow bar area, the extended bit at the back is a recent edition (although not obviously so)

* The Long Hall, Georges St, is also pretty nice and a buzzy part of town with inexpensive restaurants. Hogan's which is trendier is also on this street, right beside L'Gueleton restaurant which is a good value good food spot.

Don't go near Temple Bar, which is very touristy, full of stag parties and the like. If you want an out of town destination restaurant, I'd recommend The Roundwood Inn in Roundwood in the Wicklow hills. They also do exceptionally good bar food, but don't confuse this with the restaurant which is quite good, but expensive (ideal for a long Sunday lunch). A quirky destination pub is The Blue Light beyond Rathfarnham in the Dublin hills. It's popular with bikers, the guy who owns it has a Morgan, its completely unfussy, and there's really nowhere like it. A posher destination pub is The Queen's in Dalkey which is a beautiful village on the coast in south Co Dublin.

My long overdue trip to test that assertion that Guinness tastes different in Ireland is imminent.

As far as I'm aware, Diageo have moved their production of Guinness (for the UK market) back from Park Royal to St James's Gate, so it should taste the same in England (presuming that the lines are well looked after) as it does in Ireland as it's all made here now.

Edited by postcode (log)

Hi spaceman.  I presume you'll be in central Dublin, so here are a few recommendations to start off:

* The Gravity Bar, a must for a Guinness lover.  Located in the Guinness brewery museum off James' St, the views over the city are amazing.  There is a charge into the museum, but its interesting and you'll get the best pint possible.

* The Palace Bar Fleet St, a really authentic Victorian pub with great Guinness

* Mulligans, Poolbeg St held by many to serve the best pint in Dublin

* Keogh's, Sth Anne St, McDaid's, Harry St , good Guinness, good atmosphere

* Neary's, Chatham St, for a quieter pint (nice in the afternoon with a newspaper)

* Doheny & Nesbitt's, Baggott St, Dublin's alternative news source, frequented by hacks, politicians, business people and all sorts.  You could strike up some interesting conversations here over a good pint of Guinness.  Stay in the old narrow bar area, the extended bit at the back is a recent edition (although not obviously so)

* The Long Hall, Georges St, is also pretty nice and a buzzy part of town with inexpensive restaurants.  Hogan's which is trendier is also on this street, right beside L'Gueleton restaurant which is a good value good food spot.

Don't go near Temple Bar, which is very touristy, full of stag parties and the like.  If you want an out of town destination restaurant, I'd recommend The Roundwood Inn in Roundwood in the Wicklow hills.  They also do exceptionally good bar food, but don't confuse this with the restaurant which is quite good, but expensive (ideal for a long Sunday lunch).  A quirky destination pub is The Blue Light beyond Rathfarnham in the Dublin hills.  It's popular with bikers, the guy who owns it has a Morgan, its completely unfussy, and there's really nowhere like it.  A posher destination pub is The Queen's in Dalkey which is a beautiful village on the coast in south Co Dublin.

My long overdue trip to test that assertion that Guinness tastes different in Ireland is imminent.

As far as I'm aware, Diageo have moved their production of Guinness (for the UK market) back from Park Royal to St James's Gate, so it should taste the same in England (presuming that the lines are well looked after) as it does in Ireland as it's all made here now.

Yep, you're right on this. R & D and brewing for the UK market are now based in Dublin. And as Guinness is now pasteurised (which it hadn't been years back: another historic reason for inconsistency along with the clean lines issue) the challenge to find a great pint is not the feat it used to be.

That said, there are some places that still show an old fashioned reverence for the pint and as their throughput is greater, the product tastes better. As a rule of thumb (in the UK more than in Ireland), if you don't see too many pints of Guinness or taps in the place, the pint will probably be punching below its weight. There still are some particulars about how to pull a pint. It should always be two pulls, (so takes time, as we know from the ads), and there can be issues with the consistency of the head. If you see someone using a knife on it... run.

And tomweir, I can't believe I left out The Stag's Head. One of my favourites, well caught, thanks!