• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roast chicken to go

I'm going to probably wind up at QFC or Safeway tonight, but I was wondering if there was a better source for whole roasted chickens in Seattle (preferably between the U-District and Ballard).

I sure miss Capon Rotissere!

(If there was a previous thread on this, feel free to chastise me, I couldn't find it.)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I'm going to probably wind up at QFC or Safeway tonight, but I was wondering if there was a better source for whole roasted chickens in Seattle (preferably between the U-District and Ballard).

(If there was a previous thread on this, feel free to chastise me, I couldn't find it.)

I second the vote for Ken's, and I do feel uncomfortable even saying it, but Costco has a very good roti chicken. In a completely different league than Safeway and QFC and Larry's.

cburnsi

I second the vote for Ken's, and I do feel uncomfortable even saying it, but Costco has a very good roti chicken. In a completely different league than Safeway and QFC and Larry's.

cburnsi

No need to be uncomfortable, Costco's roast chickens are very good. Unfortunately, Costco isn't a very convenient location for most people to grab a chicken on a busy weeknight. I usually get mine at either Whole Foods or Safeway. Not too fond of QFC's-they tend to be dried out a lot of times. I like Pasta and Co's, but they are usually cold which is sometimes fine, sometimes not. I wish Seattle had a Mexican-style chicken place where you could get a grilled half or whole chicken with tortillas and beans...maybe someday.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I wish Seattle had a Mexican-style chicken place where you could get a grilled half or whole chicken with tortillas and beans...maybe someday.

Seagal, if you are ever out in Burien, you might try Taqueria La Estacion. They have a big grill outside that they use to grill their chickens. I asked the owner and he basically said it's just for that purpose. (you can see the grill from the road when you drive by, which is what prompted me to stop there). I've only eaten there once (keep meaning to get back) and didn't try the chicken, but it looked really good. They also have goat, so I'm tempted to try that as well! It's a family business and real friendly.

Taqueria La Estacion

14820 Ambaum Bldv.

Burien, WA 98166

206-439-3944

edit to add: I've also had the Costco roast chicken and liked it. The seasonings really seem to permeate the entire chicken, and the meat stayed moist.

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

Costco's Chickens are the best value they are much larger, juicy, slightly salted better finished that anyone else in Seattle except Restaurants. [Le Pichet is my favorite]

The Whole Foods Birds are taste very good, but are Roasted from very young smaller Chickens that only weigh about 2 1/2 pounds dressed. At a price of $9.99 each they are very expensive [2 Costco Chickens]. There is a French name for this size bird [Pousons ?] They have small wings, legs and thighs.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Why the discomfort?

I don't know, maybe guilty pleasure? I have this big beautiful grill with a big strong roti at home, set up in a very convenient spot, easy to use, but I can't get enough of that fat juicy chicken. It is certainly less expensive than I can buy a good raw one for and roast it, let alone brine it for an hour or more :smile: . And you have that whole immediate gratification thing (I try to stop short of eating it in the car on the way home.)

There is a French name for this size bird [Pousons ?] They have small wings, legs and thighs.

Poussin-- sometimes they come really small. Don and Joes sell bags of tiny ones as quail. I think the term is usually just a general one for "spring chicken" and not a specific breed or species.

Edited by ladybugseattle (log)

I work 40 hours a week and have dialysis/transport to-from for another 20 hours a week. Sundays are the only days I have the energy to cook and clean up after myself.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I'm all for convenience, but really, it's ridiculously easy to roast your own chicken. If you brine it and know how to tell when it's done, you can easily outdo any supermarket.

How about "Honey baked Hams" do they do chicken? or mabe Uwajimaya, I know they have duck???

For convenience I often if I'm in the north of Seattle stop at the Ranch 99 Market in Edmond's where I pick up a 1/2 Roast Duck, 1/2 Red cooked Chicken, Char Sui and cut of Whole Roasted Pig then stop at the steam table to get noodles, rice plus different veggie combos and enjoy a varied mindless meal at a reasonable price. Last time had a whole Pomfrit Fried at the Seafood section for less then $5.00.

There are also many places in the International District where they have a larger variety and even better Roasters. Some places even offer several types of Chicken and other delicacies.

I like the taste of Poultry at the Chinese places since it is rarely overcooked and they are very fussy about the quality. They buy most local fresh.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.