• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charleston Cheap Eats

timothycdavis

Hi all.

I'm headed to Charleston, SC tomorrow for a wedding, and, as I'm subsisting (barely) on a freelance salary, wondered if anyone had any ideas of good, hearty cheap eats in the immediate area. Thanks in advance!

TCD

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

My cheap eats selections with their addresses would be something like this:

Hominy Grill ... 207 Rutledge Avenue, Charleston, SC

Sticky Fingers Restaurant ... 235 Meeting St, Charleston, SC

Wild Wing Cafe ..... 36 N Market St, Charleston, SC

Five Loaves Cafe .... 43 Cannon St, Charleston, SC

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Restaurant ... 99 S Market St, Charleston, SC

Bubba Slyes Deli ... 70 1/2 Beaufain St, Charleston, SC

Hyman's Seafood CO ... 213 Meeting St, Charleston, SC

Liberty Cafe .... 9 Magnolia Rd, Charleston, SC

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Two places come immediately to mind:

What might be my pick for the best restaurant in the U.S. - the Oyster Room at Bowen's Island for shovelfuls of roasted oysters dumped on your table to shuck and eat.

Your Place - for sure the best hamburger in Charleston and one of the best I've had anywhere. They moved this year. The Editor of Charleston's alternative weekly sent me their new address, but I lost it, so ask once you get there.

If you're so inclined, check out some of the other places on Charleston SC at HollyEats.Com. There's a bunch of good, cheap eatin' to be done in Charleston. Other top of mind options: Gullah Cuisine and if you happen to be in the area on a Friday, the H&R Sweet Shop for a traditional plate of red rice and fried fish. Both of these places are just north of Charleston, across the bridge in Mount Pleasant.

Let us know what other places you find.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody mention Martha Lou's? Or a pimento cheese sammie at Burbage's? Also, if you have even a little money, that wine store near the Ashley is really, really worth a stop.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

• 7 months later...
If you're in Charleston on a Fri or Sat, it's well worth the hour drive to Sweatman's BBQ in Holly Hill.

Went based on Holly's advice and I can not stop thinking about this place. Amazing is all I can say. This was the first meal on our road trip down from Toronto to FL and wholly crap was it good. Not easy to find but well worth getting lost to find!

officially left egullet....

Sweatman's in Holly Hill is supposed to be outstanding, though the mother ship in Eutawville is magnificent.

Was in Charleston last weekend running around and had a great cheap big seafood meal at the Anchor Line on Folly Rd. out towards Folly Beach. You get a seafood feast (i went with shark and deviled crab) for about $15.00, which you would be hard pressed to beat anywhere else in the city.

I'll second Holly when talking about Bowen's, it's a gem.

Jestine's on Meeting St. is quickly becomming an institution and they also have pretty good cheap eats.

Stay away from most of the restaurants close to the slave market. Bubba Gumps, Hyman's and the like probably won't be anything special and definitely won't be a good deal.

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"