• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked Apples

johnjohn

I was thinking of baking some apples for dessert this weekend. Any suggestions on what type of apple to use and what to stuff them with. I've come across recipes that use nuts, dried fruits, granola, candy bars, maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, apple cider, brandy, etc... Any favorites?

Sooo many things you can do (I do this often for one, nuked in the microwave).

How about putting a knob of butter, calvados soakred raisins, brown sugar, a touch of gound cinnamon and gound allspice in the center, baking, and pouring heavy cream on top upon serving (warm, of course).

I never thought of cereal, but a knob of butter, granola, and spices baked in the center would probably turn out like a bastardized crumble. With ice cream or cream. Hmmm, idea.

A last-minute improvisation has since become a favourite fall dessert: Core some cortlands (preferably leaving the bottom intact) and remove the peel from the top third. Stuff with a mixture of chopped walnuts, golden raisins, light brown sugar and, if you've got any, stale pound cake crumbs. Place in a baking dish. Drizzle with melted butter. Bake. Serve warm topped with zabaglione made with marc de gewurztraminer.

I also like to stuff apples with a mixture of almonds, walnuts and dried cranberries. Or walnuts and maple sugar (drizzle with a little maple syrup or baste them as they bake to glaze the surface).

Was once served an incredible appetizer of a baked green apple stuffed with foie gras and served with cranberry jus.

When I was a kid, many of the most popular recipes for baked apples included Red Hots -- small, round hot cinnamon candies.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

There's a recipe in the latest Bon Appetit that uses honey, almonds, and ginger. They used ground ginger, but I think it would be even better with crystallized. They also used Fuji apples, and they look gorgeous in the picture.

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

equal amounts of chopped walnuts, dates, raisins, rolled oats. Mix in some Golden Syrup (I like the caramel note), brown sugar, vanilla, and calvados to make a firm paste. The amount of sugar depends on the sweetness of the apples and your own taste. Stuff cored apples (best to leave the bottom intact). Leave off the cinnamon because everyone expects it.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

• 2 weeks later...

My mom used to fill them with peanut butter mixed with sugar. :rolleyes: I will admit to still doing it once and a while. Maybe it contributed to my little brother's nickname: Peanut Butter Brain...

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I prefer to stuff tart apples (such as Granny Smith) with crumbled blue cheese, walnuts and chives. After they're done baking drizzle a bit of your favorite honey (lavender honey rules!) over the top.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Last weekend my husband and I took a little trip. We spent one night in Kingston, ON, at the Frontenac Club Inn, a delightful B&B, and were served baked apples as the first course of our breakfast. We asked, and were told they used (unpeeled) Honeycrisp apples: they're apparently somewhat rare in that area of Ontario, but they worked well for this. They were filled with a little granola, and I think some maple syrup also. The dregs were great for sopping with bread!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2