• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bosch Ranges

weinoo

Does anyone own a Bosch range, which were introduced sometime last year?

I'm interested in the all-gas 30" Bosch (HGS 242 UC), and wondered how it compares to the GE Profile at a similar price point (around $1600 - $1750, msrp). I've been quoted a price of $1,160 (including shipping) for the Bosch, which I think is a great deal. One of the limitations I have is with venting (basically don't have any), otherwise I would surely step up to the next level - dcs, bluestar, wolf, etc., but really don't think they'd make the smartest purchase in our one-bedroom with a 95 square foot galley kitchen - which is twice the size of the kitchen in our last apartment!

Over on the gardenweb forum, they pretty much love the Bosch products - so I'm looking for input from the foodies. Thanks much.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have had a Bosch dishwasher for over a year now and love it! I like the straight forward controls and it runs absolutely quiet with only a few clicks when it changes cycle. A repair man I had in for another appliance said he has never seen a Bosch product in for repair, don't know about that but I'm happy with mine!

• 4 weeks later...

I'll chip in with a me too to the original poster's query.

I visited an appliance store here, and the salesman was pushing the Bosch. I'd like to know a bit more about them from somebody who's actually taken the plunge and put one through its paces. Especially interested in opinions about the cooktop.

Thanks,

Geoff Ruby

I have a Bosch cooktop + convection oven. I'm very satisfied with both. The burners are powerful enough for me (I do a pretty fair amount of cooking), though they could be a tad more sensitive at the low-flame end (I believe the unit has Gaggenau guts). The oven is great, but it's a steady learning process with convection on time vs. temp (mine has a non-convection setting as well, which I rarely use). Roasting is terrific. Self-clean feature does a good job. Great look, too. Bosch makes a (albeit pricey) counter-flush, pop-up vent. But it wouldn't fit on my counter, and for configuration reasons, I can't go with a hood. As a result, I regularly trip my smoke alarm.

Just this weekend, I purchased appliances for a unit I'm restoring. Decided on a JennAir range (2-burner + sealed burner grill + convection + down-draft) @ $2000. Modular 2-burner unit to swap out w/ grill is another $230. I asked about GE Profile, since you see 'em in so many rehabs. Salesman said he thought GE & competitors are good at the contractor level, but at step-up are overpriced for what you get. For just a few more $$, your get considerably more bang. How do Profile BTUs compare? And, e.g, does the Profile have cast-iron grates? Mine are super-durable and show no wear after five years. I also "interviewed" a customer looking to toss all the new contractor-plus-grade appliances in a condo he just bought. Said, e.g., the Profile was a PITA -- no real power.

I'm a big Bosch fan. I've also got a D/W, one with the controls hidden in the door. Super-quiet. OK, the board just fried after 5 years, but it was my fault. A penny got caught in the drain, and I ran the unit a few times to figure out what was up. Mistake. I've also got a Bosch washer and dryer (electric), and I'm completely satisfied.

While I don't know about Bosch ranges, that price seems fantastic if it performs like the appliances I've known. Good luck!

Edited by cinghiale (log)

I just happened to be reading Consumer Reports' overview of ranges last night (and I think this is short enough to quote without getting in trouble):

"Pro-style: still problematic. Like many other pro-style appliances, new gas cooktops from Bosch, DCS, Fisher & Paykel, and Miele offered little value. A pro-style gas range from Thermador performed well, but baking was mediocre.

In our last survey of stand-alone ranges, Thermador and Viking were relatively repair-prone gas brands and Jenn-Air was among the more repair-prone electric brands. Our new data indicates that Thermador and Viking have also been repair-prone for gas cooktops, while Dacor, Jenn-Air, and Thermador have been repair-prone for electric wall ovens."

I think this is from the Nov. 2005 issue, so you may want to check out the hard copy -- online ratings/reviews require a subscription, otherwise I'd set up the link.

The GE Profile came in much higher in their rankings than Bosch.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

• 1 month later...

I've got a Bosch all electric range/oven and I love it.

The electric, flat top part takes a bit of get used to, but if you are stuck using electric, its a fine way to go. The oven works like a charm, acutally it works just like its supposed to.

I cook A LOT .... and I'm happy.