• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McCormick and Schmick's- KC

Katie Nell

We are going to McCormick and Schmick's for my boyfriend's birthday tonight and just wondered if there were any must order items. I know it's late notice, but feel free to chime in for future reference too!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

My one experience at M&S's was at one of their Boston outposts a couple of years back. It didn't wow me but it was okay. Generally speaking, they're a high-volume place, so the turn-over should be steady -- and hopefully -- you can get good information from your server about what their freshest offerings are. That'd be the best tack, IMO.

As for "signature" items, I seem to remember some good offerings on oystsers and it is the right time of year.

hth,

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

My one experience at M&S's was at one of their Boston outposts a couple of years back.  It didn't wow me but it was okay.  Generally speaking, they're a high-volume place, so the turn-over should be steady -- and hopefully -- you can get good information from your server about what their freshest offerings are.  That'd be the best tack, IMO.

As for "signature" items, I seem to remember some good offerings on oystsers and it is the right time of year.

hth,

=R=

That's too bad... we've never been there, so I hope it's not just okay! If it is, the one redeeming thing is I'm making dinner tomorrow night for him and I know that will be good with some trusty old recipes!

Maybe someone has some other ideas for seafood in KC? I know that sounds like an oxymoron to some of the coast people, but surely there's some decent seafood around? We've tried the Bristol...

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I was extremely happy with the M&S in Indianapolis -- having moved to Indiana from New Orleans, we haven't had good luck with seafood (neither the supply nor the preparation).

I went for dinner one night, and had only one disappointment -- the bar my waiter described as "a full-fledged classic cocktail bar" couldn't serve me an Aviation, and made my old-fashioned with soda water and crushed ice (neither of these is unusual, though). Brought my girlfriend with me for lunch a couple days later after telling her about it.

I actually took some notes on it, let me dig them out to refresh my memory --

The oysters were the highlight for me, both in variety and quality; the Canada Cup oysters were the first raw oysters my girlfriend has liked. Again, coming from New Orleans to the Midwest, oysters are a huge deal when I can find them (and the funny thing has been that I never had non-Gulf oysters when I lived there, so getting oysters now is a combination of familiarity and discovery).

The crab tater tots were great, and served with two sauces -- a very good jalapeno tartar sauce and an unnecessary mango vinaigrette that just clashed with the crab. I would order these weekly if I could.

The calamari was the only good calamari I've had outside the Boston area, not rubbery at all.

I had river trout the first night and ono the next time -- the ono was slightly dry, the trout was a little oversalted for some people (although not me).

Atmosphere at dinner was nice -- low-key, leisurely, a Friday night when I stayed until closing, reading and drinking. Lunch was more hectic -- we didn't have a reservation and were put in a small booth-let that barely had room for the oysters and calamari, and my elbow kept hitting passing waitstaff. But I'm not going to fault them for being busy.

They'll also do simple off-menu preparations of whatever came in fresh that day -- just broil, fry, etc., your trout or bass or marlin or whatever it is you're getting -- which is a good option if you want the best possible fish they have but don't like the preparation they list on the menu. That's not uncommon, but I liked the fact that the waiter pointed this out rather than trying to sell me on a specific dish.

I went to the M&S in Kansas City a few years ago (2002?) and thought it was terrific. The oysters were my favorite; I haven't had much opportunity to try oysters, and at the time they had a tasting platter with a variety of oysters and an explanation about each one. I've forgotten now which were my favorites, but I thought them all good. I also had, and raved about, the swordfish. (I know, endangered, mercury, etc.) I told the waiter to tell the chef that they'd just changed my mind about restaurant swordfish; I'd nearly given it up as hopeless unless caught and cooked in New Bedford. Theirs was outstanding. Seems to me the wine recommendations were spot-on, too.

I'd go back to that M&S in a heartbeat, based on my experiences back then. I hope they haven't gone downhill.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I went there a few months ago for an anniversary dinner, and while I probably won't go back if I'm paying for it, you can do pretty well there foodwise. Definitely go with whatever is fresh, they should have a lot of different oysters for one thing. Something I've always liked on the regular menu would be the lemon sole, and there is a pecan or macadamia crusted tilapia dish that is a safe bet too. The oyster stew is a good choice as well.

Overall, like I mentioned I won't go back if I'm paying just because it's not a lot of bang for the buck. It's a nice looking place, they have a huge selection of fresh seafood (that alone in the midwest ranks them at the top of the seafood scale), but the prices are pretty high and the service is usually of the "I'm acting way, way too happy to be genuine/for a mere $15 more I think you'll like THIS wine much better" variety. Lots of upselling, lots of fake enthusiasm, lots of getting you the hell out of there so they can turn the table. Again, just one man's opinion, I could have had an off-experience the last time I was in there. Plus, I generally avoid the bustling plaza chain restaurants like they were serving heaping dishes of the plague, so I'm biased.

It's not a terrible restaurant, you'll have good food and good service. Just be ready for the friendly ultra-chain phone call the next day when someone calls to make sure your experience was a good one.

Jerry

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I went there a few months ago for an anniversary dinner, and while I probably won't go back if I'm paying for it, you can do pretty well there foodwise.  Definitely go with whatever is fresh, they should have a lot of different oysters for one thing.  Something I've always liked on the regular menu would be the lemon sole, and there is a pecan or macadamia crusted tilapia dish that is a safe bet too. The oyster stew is a good choice as well.

Overall, like I mentioned I won't go back if I'm paying just because it's not a lot of bang for the buck.  It's a nice looking place, they have a huge selection of fresh seafood (that alone in the midwest ranks them at the top of the seafood scale), but the prices are pretty high and the service is usually of the "I'm acting way, way too happy to be genuine/for a mere $15 more I think you'll like THIS wine much better" variety. Lots of upselling, lots of fake enthusiasm, lots of getting you the hell out of there so they can turn the table.  Again, just one man's opinion, I could have had an off-experience the last time I was in there.  Plus, I generally avoid the bustling plaza chain restaurants like they were serving heaping dishes of the plague, so I'm biased. 

It's not a terrible restaurant, you'll have good food and good service.  Just be ready for the friendly ultra-chain phone call the next day when someone calls to make sure your experience was a good one. 

Jerry

Now you're making me dread it!!! Other recs for seafood in KC then?

As much as I don't like the impersonal service at M&S, I'd say that if you're looking for a huge variety of seafood to choose from, check it out at least once and see what you think of it (I think of my mom as someone with good taste and it's her #1 birthday dinner destination).

I'm a little brain dead today and can't think of a "seafood" place to recommend, maybe there isn't one to think of, but as soon as I post this I'll probably think of one. My approach to seafood in the landlocked midwest is to see what's on special at the restaurants I already enjoy. Pachamama's in Lawrence generally has at least two or three fresh fish dishes on the menu, and of course 40 Sardines will have something good. For some reason a grouper dish I've gotten at Macaluso's keeps coming to mind, it must have been really good.

I guess my biggest gripe w/M&S doesn't have nearly as much to do with the food as it does the fact that you can take the same amount of money and eat just about anywhere in KC. BUT, if copious amounts of seafood is what you're after, they've got everyone beat in that department. That damn reservation software they use to keep track of you from cradle to grave is just MADDENING.......

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Sorry, Katie, but Zeemanb and I have agreed on this (for whatever that's worth) in the past...definitely not worth the $$. I wish I had seen this sooner. On the up side, their cole slaw is stellar;-)

40 Sards, Bristol, bluestem, The American bring much more bang for the buck. I'm having a seafood-in-KC braincramp, too.

I'm sure he'll enjoy tomorrow night's lovingly prepared dinner and think you're amazing when you out-do M&S, though. :smile:

[Edited because I can neither spell nor type.]

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Well, we went, we saw, we ate... it was... good. Just to give you an idea, I rate restaurants in my head this way: poor, okay, good, very good, and excellent, so I guess it was right there in the middle.

I had North Atlantic Salmon stuffed with dungeness crab, bay shrimp, and brie and it came with mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus. It was good, but I'm not so sure there was even any crab or shrimp in it, maybe one piece. I've had much, much better. The asparagus was awful... mushy and flavorless. The mashed potatoes were mashed potatoes. My boyfriend had the shrimp and scallops Newburg and it came with steamed broccoli and I think it was supposed to be a rice pilaf. It was okay, mine was better. The broccoli was along the same lines as my asparagus, and the rice was bland. Oh, we also got the crab cakes for an app... The Bristol blows them out of the water on this one, so does Yahooz for that matter! Then dessert... he got the complimentary apple pie for his birthday and I had tiramisu... they were both good, and for once, a dessert kicked my butt! It was huge!

The service was not very attentive, but I think she was genuinely friendly, so not great, but not awful. They were busy and it definitely was not an intimate experience, so that part could have been a lot better. You were right... it's not a lot of bang for your buck as far as quality goes. We probably won't be back, but it was fun to try a new place and it definitely wasn't the worst eating experience of my life! The wine was good, the company was good, and we had fun!

As far as your recs go, we love Pachamama's... it's our favorite, and Piropo's for that matter! His parents are taking us to Piropo's tomorrow night, and then my parents are taking us to Potpie next weekend... so, not a bad week for eating! :wink:

I was not impressed with 40 Sardines when we went last year, but I think it might of been circumstance and it's not going to stop me from trying again! We just moved to KC last December and are just now being able to not care so much about what we're spending on food, so we will be trying some of your recs soon, I'm sure! I can't wait to try bluestem! Thank you everyone for your input... I'm so glad to see there are some other Midwest people out there besides Chicago! We need to discuss more on this board, I think! Anyway, thanks again!

I was feeling badly after we all dissed M&S when it was too late for you to really do anything about it. It sounds like your impression is the same, though. It *is* ok, but ends up costing as much as places that are much better. And the space is problematic for me (loud, traffic-congested); I wonder if that is a standard 'footprint' for them? The servers seem to always be running into one another and woe betide the unfortunate diner who has to navigate from table to restroom in mid-meal. But you're right...good company, good wine, make the best of it. If every dining experience were perfect we wouldn't appreciate it.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Thanks for reporting back, I'm glad to hear you had an acceptable experience. I think my girlfriend got the same dish as you when we went there last, and had a similar reaction. Funny about the crab cakes, we got those too and thought it was bizarre that they can't come up with a better rendition, especially for the price. They're on par with Red Lobster, seriously. For great local crab cakes; some people love him, some people hate him, but Tommy Macaluso's restaurant serves a great version.

As far as atmosphere at M&S, the thing that really saved us (and something to remember for possible future visits) is to request one of the private booths with the curtains when you make reservations. I think they're called a "snug". For a similar kind of decor and good food, I'd totally agree with the Pierpont's and City Tavern suggestions. And if the Savoy Grill was just more friggin' dependable as far as food quality.....I don't think the Grill Room can be beat when you're looking for that type of vibe. It's truly old school, not a contrived version of old school.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

And if the Savoy Grill was just more friggin' dependable as far as food quality.....I don't think the Grill Room can be beat when you're looking for that type of vibe.  It's truly old school, not a contrived version of old school.

I can honestly say that the Savoy was the most awful eating experience of my life. I don't know what went wrong, but the food was horrible, the service was horrible, and I will never go back! Very strange, considering everyone else seems to like it, but honestly, my food was inedible. There were 6 of us, and we all thought it was terrible! Is that unusual?

It's not unusual but, as Jerry said, it is very inconsistent. If you've been eating there forever, it's hard to give it up completely, so we'll go back occasionally. We've had a couple of bad experiences and stayed away for a while but it's just such an incredible place and so good when they are "on" that we keep going back.

Their caesar salad is the standard by which I judge all others. Ditto Steak au Poivre. But I have had utterly inedible lobster tails there, too, so it can go either way. It's a pity since it was the go-to place for many people, for many years. With everything that's happening downtown, I do wish they would make the effort to fix whatever is wrong in the kitchen, train the servers to the previous standards, and give us that special experience we once depended on!

M.F.K. Fisher

I just can't figure out the deal with the Savoy. I've had meals that range from the absolute best steak (T-bone) of my entire life, to something that resembles hospital food. We went there for Valentine's this year, and the service was fantastic but the food wasn't really anything to remember.

I hope they can get their act together, because once the savior of our city (the new Sprint Center :rolleyes: ) rises to the sky like a corn pone messiah, I fear for any downtown business that doesn't have a distinct strip-mall appeal. How many Chipotle's CAN they fit into the space formerly occupied by the Savoy?.......that's scary to think about.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I just can't figure out the deal with the Savoy.  I've had meals that range from the absolute best steak (T-bone) of my entire life, to something that resembles hospital food.  We went there for Valentine's this year, and the service was fantastic but the food wasn't really anything to remember.

I hope they can get their act together, because once the savior of our city (the new Sprint Center  :rolleyes: ) rises to the sky like a corn pone messiah, I fear for any downtown business that doesn't have a distinct strip-mall appeal.  How many Chipotle's CAN they fit into the space formerly occupied by the Savoy?.......that's scary to think about.

I'm giving up on the sprint center doing anything positive for KC (unless they mimic Columbus, OH's Arena District) so I'm focusing all prayers on JoCo or KCK passing the Wizards' soccer complex...of course, that's probably the die-hard Wizards fan talking...but I digress...

I hope they can get their act together, because once the savior of our city (the new Sprint Center  :rolleyes: ) rises to the sky like a corn pone messiah, I fear for any downtown business that doesn't have a distinct strip-mall appeal.  How many Chipotle's CAN they fit into the space formerly occupied by the Savoy?.......that's scary to think about.

Bunch o' questions:

1) Where is the Savoy Grill now?

2) Do they still use the advertising tagline "A new, different and exciting restaurant over <insert decade> years old"?

3) Chains are going into its old space?

4) The Kings and Scouts both bombed; do you all really think that if they build the Sprint Center, they will come?

5) Where exactly is Sprint headquartered now? Their new, redesigned website says the merged company is "headquartered in Reston, Virginia," but the press room page still lists "Sprint World Headquarters" as being 6200 Sprint Parkway in Overland Park, and just about all the media-relations people there have phone numbers in area code 913 rather than 703. Maybe this is like TWA (nominal headquarters: New York City; actual center of operations: Kansas City) or the old Bell Atlantic (nominal headquarters: Philadelphia; actual center of operations: Arlington, Va.)?

--Sandy, Sprint PCS customer

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Bunch o' questions:

1) Where is the Savoy Grill now?

9th & Central

2) Do they still use the advertising tagline "A new, different and exciting restaurant over <insert decade> years old"?

not that I am aware of but haven't seen any ads for them recently

3) Chains are going into its old space?

no plans for that at this time...always concerns that the usual suspects will flood into any kind of entertainment development though. The Sprint Center and other Power & Light District 'stuff' is well south and east of it. I think Z was shooting for the imagery of horror -- Savoy Grill Room turned into mall food court. A chilling prospect indeed, but as far as I know nothing more than a bad dream.

4) The Kings and Scouts both bombed; do you all really think that if they build the Sprint Center, they will come?

personally, no, I don't -- but I hope I am wrong

5) Where exactly is Sprint headquartered now? Their new, redesigned website says the merged company is "headquartered in Reston, Virginia," but the press room page still lists "Sprint World Headquarters" as being 6200 Sprint Parkway in Overland Park, and just about all the media-relations people there have phone numbers in area code 913 rather than 703. Maybe this is like TWA (nominal headquarters: New York City; actual center of operations: Kansas City) or the old Bell Atlantic (nominal headquarters: Philadelphia; actual center of operations: Arlington, Va.)?

I think the TWA analogy is probably pretty close to the truth. Friends working on the merger had to travel to Reston frequently but remain firmly based here at their sprawling campus in Overland Park. Can't imagine they'll abandon it for the pricey real estate in VA.

M.F.K. Fisher