• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramadan Fare

gahhhhh drooooool, I love buka puasa food, best time to savor the many varieties of Malay in one location!! Ayam perchik, nasi dagang, east coast keropok (I can't remember the name), air ros with biji selasih, yum!

Payuh = quail?

Malay food is what I miss most from home! You just can't find it here in the US. All the M'sian restaurants are chinese hawker food, Malay food is hardly ever represented.

If anyone is interested in scrolling through pages of Malaysian Ramadan FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, just click on this link and go through the pages. These are taken by my photography mates, the friendliest bunch of people I've ever 'met'. Warning: You may have to change your keyboard after this.

BTW, we are all speaking malaysian english in that site. If you need any explanation, just holler.

...east coast keropok (I can't remember the name), air ros with biji selasih, yum!

Payuh = quail?

Malay food is what I miss most from home! You just can't find it here in the US. All the M'sian restaurants are chinese hawker food, Malay food is hardly ever represented.

east coast keropok = keropok lekor I just discovered a very nice version of this at my girls' school canteen. The lekor is sliced very thin and deep-fried like the regular crackers. Yum! Especially, dipped into the sweet chilli sauce.

Yes, payuh is quail.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Friday evening found Shiewie, maukitten, (Boolicious, Splashie Boy and a few more non-eG friends) and I at one of our celebrity chef's restaurant called Rebung (which means bamboo shoot). At the last minute, ecr and DH couldn't make it...<ecr! We ate your share for you...hooooo!! Hope mr ecr is feeling better. >

Here's the evening spread......Klik di sini (click here).

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

TP, looks like you all had a big feast! Where is the establishment located? I'm also curious about the musicians: Were they hired by the store or did they play for tips?

Michael aka "Pan"

Yes, indeed, Michael, we had a Feast! Rebung is situated in Bangsar, KL. Have you been there? Though bursting at the seams, Shiewie and I still managed to sample some delectable Indian sweets brought by Boolicious!

The musicians were hired by the restaurant; apparently they play every night. Really sets the ambience. Tips? What tips?

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

I'm a little confused about Ramadan in Malaysia. I thought that generally, during Ramadan people weren't supposed to eat between sunrise and sunset, but it looks like those stalls were out during the daytime (maybe late afternoon?). Are Ramadan rules different in Malaysia, or are the stalls out just for buying food for the after-sunset feast, or are they mostly for the non-Muslims?

Those pictures certainly made me hungry, I can only imagine what the sight and smell of the stalls does to someone who hasn't eat for several hours!

I'm a little confused about Ramadan in Malaysia.  I thought that generally, during Ramadan people weren't supposed to eat between sunrise and sunset, but it looks like those stalls were out during the daytime (maybe late afternoon?).  Are Ramadan rules different in Malaysia, or are the stalls out just for buying food for the after-sunset feast, or are they mostly for the non-Muslims?

For Muslims buying the food, they pack home to break fast after sundown. Most of the stalls open around 4 pm...as office hours are condensed shorter since the usual lunch hour is spent working. Non-muslims are real happy campers too during this period.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Heheh, Tepee and I seem to be posting at around the same time with the same info. :laugh:

"I'm not sure about Malaysia, but here in Bandung, some food stalls open at around 4 pm. This is especially convenient for those of us who may be out of the home and/or too busy to prepare meals for the break or dinner. We just make our selections and have them packed up to take home in time for sunset, which is around 5:45 pm my time."

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Yes, indeed, Michael, we had a Feast! Rebung is situated in Bangsar, KL. Have you been there? Though bursting at the seams, Shiewie and I still managed to sample some delectable Indian sweets brought by Boolicious!

The musicians were hired by the restaurant; apparently they play every night. Really sets the ambience. Tips? What tips?

Not for the food; I know that much!

I took the LRT past Bangsar a lot but don't remember getting out there. I guess there's always a next time, God willing.

Oh, it just occurred to me that I bought some Ramadan food this evening: Hilwa dates from Al Madinah Dates Co., which of course come from Madinah in Saudi Arabia. (I bought them at Spice Corner, a shop owned by Muslims who I believe to be from the Indian Subcontinent.) I have to say that while they're alright, they are quite disappointing, in that high-quality California medjools are superior. But they're from the Holy Land, if you're a Muslim, so that makes them special. :hmmm: I remember getting really wonderful Saudi dates in Kuala Terengganu back in the 70s, and there was that great Iraqi date paste that was sold in plastic packages. These are nowhere near as good as either. The Iraqi date paste was made from medjools, I believe, but that Saudi dates were probably deglet, and were just way better than the ones in this package.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that Ramadan is coming to a close. Are there special foods or feast dishes associated with the end of Ramadan?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Eid el Fitri (various spellings), the celebration of the end of Ramadan, has a lot of foods associated with it. I don't know if we already have threads on Eid; I suppose we do, but I'm not sure how to search for them effectively, as "Eid" is a 3-letter word and thereby not searchable using the site search. If anyone could post a link, that would be great.

Michael aka "Pan"

For Muslims buying the food, they pack home to break fast after sundown. Most of the stalls open around 4 pm...as office hours are condensed shorter since the usual lunch hour is spent working. Non-muslims are real happy campers too during this period.

I'd be a very happy camper around those food stalls! And I don't know if I could wait until I got home (or until after sundown) to eat any of it. I have very little self-control. One of my great weaknesses!

Eid el Fitri (various spellings), the celebration of the end of Ramadan, has a lot of foods associated with it. I don't know if we already have threads on Eid; I suppose we do, but I'm not sure how to search for them effectively, as "Eid" is a 3-letter word and thereby not searchable using the site search. If anyone could post a link, that would be great.

I was in Morocco during Eid el Khbir and I remember sheep brains with eggs being one of the special dishes. I didn't get to see the slaughter of a sheep, but I did eat some fabulous homemade couscous and some kind of lamb tagine that day.

Is Eid el Khbir the same as Eid el Adha (the feast of the Haj or Hari Raya Haji, as it's called in Malay)?

Ummmm.....yes? No? Maybe? :biggrin::huh:

I looked it up, and yes, it's the same. In Morocco it's commonly known as "Eid el Kbir" (sorry, I put an "h" where it didn't belong in my earlier post), "Kbir" meaning "big".

Is Eid el Khbir the same as Eid el Adha (the feast of the Haj or Hari Raya Haji, as it's called in Malay)?

I looked it up, and yes, it's the same. In Morocco it's commonly known as "Eid el Kbir" (sorry, I put an "h" where it didn't belong in my earlier post), "Kbir" meaning "big".

Interesting. In Malaysia and Indonesia, both of the Eid are big (Raya).

Michael aka "Pan"

Eid Mubarak, Selamat Hari Raya Idul Fitri!

This year we didn't start off with our traditional feast. But you can see some of what we had today on the Dinner! thread.

Peace, love, harmony and good health to all.

Yetty

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Eid el Kabir: "Big Eid"

Also known as "Eid el Adha" or Eid of sacrifice, because you sacrifice a lamb and distribute the meat in gratitude for having your relatives come back safely from Haj.

Eid el Sghir: "Little Eid"

Also known as "Eid el fitr" or (roughly) Eid of breaking fast. Basically, the Eid at the end of Ramadan.

Eid mubarak, in any case!

Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri to all Muslimin and Musliman!

In Malaysia, festive occasions are celebrated with Open Houses. Even our Prime Minister (who lost his wife to breast cancer on Oct 20) and his ministers had one for the masses yesterday. Hmm...I'm still pondering which house to crash....with my festive greetings, of course.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

• 11 months later...

Bumping this up for that time of year. With ramadan, mooncake festival and deepavali all round the corner, it's time to wear clothes with elasticized waistbands.

Lots of pix here. Enjoy!. You'll see some of my pix in there too.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Bumping this up for that time of year. With ramadan, mooncake festival and deepavali all round the corner, it's time to wear clothes with elasticized waistbands.

Lots of pix here. Enjoy!. You'll see some of my pix in there too.

Yep, I did see a set of highly drool-inducing photos by you. Thanks for the link! All the photos of beautiful Malaysian food, Malaysian scenes and Malaysian people (especially the beautiful Malay women in some of the photos) make me really "homesick."

Michael aka "Pan"