• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ramadan Fare

Well, the holy month of ramadan is upon us. During this month, you'll find a myriads of stalls mushrooming in every neighborhood. In my neighborhood, there are at least 3 different 'ramadan food bazaars'. I couldn't make it to one yesterday as it was thunderstorming. But rain or shine today, I was determined to visit one. The skies cleared up for me at exactly 4 pm today, just as the stalls were opening.

My camera's battery was running out, so I couldn't snap as much as I wanted to. Here's some of them. I'll do the labelling later...I'll let Laksa and Michael have some fun identifying them for a bit.

Eat your heart out, guys....I've got a whole month to explore! I'll be adding pics as I go along, specially for you, Laksa and Michael. :smile:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Check out the Ajinomoto apron on that fish (?) guy. I wonder if he uses any MSG in his cooking...

Okay, let me help with some of the translation...

Air Mata Kucing. So what do tears from a kitten taste like? Can't believe they're allowed to sell that stuff!!

Check out the Ajinomoto apron on that fish (?) guy.  I wonder if he uses any MSG in his cooking...

Okay, let me help with some of the translation...

Air Mata Kucing.  So what do tears from a kitten taste like?  Can't believe they're allowed to sell that stuff!!

:raz:

I can't remember what mata kucing is called in English.

I recognize a lot of stuff, like some of the juices/waters (coconut water and so forth), pulut hitam, curry puffs, some kinds of kuih, etc., but I'll let you label them. :wink:

Is that tapai (sweet fermented tapioca root or rice) in the plastic bag on the left side of the bottom photo?

Michael aka "Pan"

Air Mata Kuching. The guy with the Aji No Moto apron. I actually expected that would be 'highlighted' by Laksa. :wink:

As usual, our jungle man was trying to be funny with words, a sour-graped triggered reaction, since he can't get his hands on those food....

Mini lesson in malay language

Air - Is not the air we breathe. Think many more times condensed. It's water. Pronounced Ah yeer...but faster.

Mata - Eyes

Kuching - Cat

Air Mata - Tears

Mata Kuching - small fruit from the lychee family.

Now, you can see why I was thinking of doing a daily bahasa lesson thing but in the end decided against it. Easy but not that easy.

Michael, that wasn't tapai...just thick plain coconut milk.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Air Mata Kuching. The guy with the Aji No Moto apron. I actually expected that would be 'highlighted' by Laksa.  :wink:

As usual, our jungle man was trying to be funny with words, a sour-graped triggered reaction, since he can't get his hands on those food....

Mini lesson in malay language

Air - Is not the air we breathe. Think many more times condensed. It's water. Pronounced Ah yeer...but faster.

Mata - Eyes

Kuching - Cat

Air Mata - Tears

Mata Kuching - small fruit from the lychee family.

Now, you can see why I was thinking of doing a daily bahasa lesson thing but in the end decided against it. Easy but not that easy.

Ohhhh, but if you did do one, it'd be sooooo appreciated... :wub:

In some places Mata Kuching is called Longan

Doesn't longan (Chinese) translate to "dragon's eye"? Wonder how they got "cat's tears" in Malaysia!

No, it's "cat's eye." The name of the fruit is "mata kucing" and "air" means water or juice and is not part of the name of the fruit. Look at Tepee's explanation above.

Michael aka "Pan"

First of all, Rambutan...your moniker tickles me!

How the fruit is named is interesting, isn't it? Although, the mata kuching in some places are loosely called longan, I think it's smaller than the smallest longan, though. Perhaps, that's why longan is dragon's eye :smile: which is bigger than a cat's eye! For pictures of the fruit, pls scroll down to the middle.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Doesn't longan (Chinese) translate to "dragon's eye"? Wonder how they got "cat's tears" in Malaysia!

No, it's "cat's eye." The name of the fruit is "mata kucing" and "air" means water or juice and is not part of the name of the fruit. Look at Tepee's explanation above.

Ooops... my bad!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

If anyone is interested in scrolling through pages of Malaysian Ramadan FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, just click on this link and go through the pages. These are taken by my photography mates, the friendliest bunch of people I've ever 'met'. Warning: You may have to change your keyboard after this.

BTW, we are all speaking malaysian english in that site. If you need any explanation, just holler.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

If anyone is interested in scrolling through pages of Malaysian Ramadan FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, just click on this link and go through the pages. These are taken by my photography mates. Warning: You may have to change your keyboard after this.

Ah, another resource!!! :smile:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

If anyone is interested in scrolling through pages of Malaysian Ramadan FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, just click on this link and go through the pages.

I was very interested in one of the pictures there at the fair. They roast many chickens using some metal pipes. At first I was thinking: no way... how can they get the chickens to turn? After taking a closer look, I discovered that they use a small pin to pin down the bird! (Probably like a screwed on pin or something) How clever! Simple and effective!

And that's RM 11 for a whole roast chicken??? = US$3.00? Wow... awesome!

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Tepee, what a great idea for a thread, thanks for starting it! Your photos are fabulous, we have much of the same food here as well.

Ramadhan is such a special time for our family, many of the foods taken to break the fast only appear during this time. Such as this sweet dish for ifthar. A specialty of my husband’s family, a close relative made it....it’s a special treat.

It’s called Pisang Kenari / Baked bananas with a crunchy nut topping. These are a particular kind of banana that when baked turn into a lovely mauve and its nectar is absolutely luscious. The ground cinnamon in the topping perfumes it all.

gallery_11814_1914_105965.jpg

gallery_11814_1914_128663.jpg

gallery_11814_1914_130138.jpg

gallery_11814_1914_32091.jpg

gallery_11814_1914_110900.jpg

gallery_11814_1914_3876.jpg

gallery_11814_1914_93195.jpg

gallery_11814_1914_47563.jpg

gallery_11814_1914_3949.jpg

gallery_11814_1914_64356.jpg

gallery_11814_1914_68000.jpg

Marhaban Ya Ramadhan.