• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Red Bean Dessert Soup

hzrt8w

Could this recipe be adapted for the crock pot?

Does making the white tapioca soup follow the same process?

Sure, red bean dessert soup can be made in a crock pot. I did my burbur chacha in a 6-quart crock pot. If yours have a temperature setting: First set to high to boil the soup, then lower it to simmer. If not, then first boil the ingredients in a regular pot then transfer over to the crock pot to continue. If you want to do it all in one step, adjust the cooking time. e.g. set for 6 hours, simmer only.

As for "white tapioca soup": I am not familiar with what that is.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

As for "white tapioca soup": I am not familiar with what that is.

Ah Leung, it's the "other" Chinese dessert soup that's served in Chinese restaurants.

The soup is white in color, with the tapioca pearls and coconut milk. If you omit the red beans, I think that's the soup I'm trying to describe. Does that help?

BTW, what's "burbur chacha?" Is that the next recipe?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

The soup is white in color, with the tapioca pearls and coconut milk. If you omit the red beans, I think that's the soup I'm trying to describe. Does that help?

BTW, what's "burbur chacha?" Is that the next recipe?

Laksa, where are you??? :laugh:

Burbur chacha, which I should have typed as "bubur cha cha", is a dessert popular in Malaysia. It is very close to our Cantonese red bean dessert soup. They use red bean, white bean, taro, sweet potato, coconut milk. In fact, we (Hong Kong)might have been influenced by them for using coconut milk. I had some red bean dessert soup in Guangzhou before. I could not taste a trace of coconut milk.

The recipe has been posted before. It was discussed here.

Sorry, I am not a dessert person. I cannot figure out the dessert that you described. I could think of 2 Cantonese (Hong Kong) dessert soups that have tapioca pearls added: almond and honey dew.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"