• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oktoberfest question

Hi, there!

After a year in the bakery at my work, I'm back to being a cook again (woooooohooo!). On a day-to-day basis, I'm now the saucier, responsible for soups, stocks, sauces, etc. However, for a cooking class later on this month, I've been asked to put together a meal (four or five courses) on the theme of Oktoberfest.

Now, I do have a reasonable grounding in German food, and coming up with individual dishes is not a problem as far as that goes. My question is whether there are dishes that are generally identified with Oktoberfest, or at least seasonal? As far as I know, most O-fest food is of the "eat-while-strolling-with-a-beer-in-hand" variety, which doesn't really lend itself to a cooking demo. I guess I could show them how to make bratwurst, if it came to that.

Format is demonstration-style rather than hands-on, with me having roughly 90 minutes to prep the dishes before the wondering eyes of the (20-35) paying customers; after which we all sit down and eat the food (which would be prepared in quantity by other kitchen staff, while I'm setting up and doing the demo). Should ideally be the sort of dishes that people might legitimately want to try at home, which is why I'm not keen on the sausage-making.

Whaddaya say? Any suggestions?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Anything with sauerkraut of course. Ribs and suerkraut, sausage and kraut, etc etc.

Schnitzel, red cabbage would be good too.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

There's a link here (in German) specifically about Oktoberfest food, complete with recipes.

Translating the list of recipes given:

Pretzel soup with chives

Liver dumpling soup

White sausage with pretzels

Bavarian sausage salad with onions and chives

'Obatzen', radish and pretzels (obatzen is a type of homemade cheese mixture - here, Camembert mixed with other flavorings).

Roast chicken

Roast leg of pork with coleslaw

Roast pork with caraway flavored cabbage and bread dumplings

Roast sucking pig with a potato and cucumber salad

Wild mushrooms with bread dumplings

Thanks for the great link anzu; liver dumpling soup is indeed both delicious and classic. One of my favorite German/Austrian soups.

Here's a few other ideas for a multicourse meal:

Liptauer Cheese with either rye or pumpernickel bread

Mushroom Barley Soup

Gemischtes Salat (a composed mixed salad of dressed greens, cucumber salad and (not mayo, but oil, vinegar, onions, parsley, etc) potato salad)

German Roast Pork with roasted potatoes and sauerkraut

Apple kuchen

Note: I'm not sure if the Liptauer Cheese is more Austrian than German, but it is a very good snack/appetizer with beer.

The bread dumplings might be fun to make with the pork; people may be less familiar with them In any case, if make the roast pork be sure to make a nice gravy to along with.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Hi chromedome!

This may be too late for your class, but I thought I would at least include it for future discussions on this thread.

I was reading a German/Austrian pastry book and came across a typical treat that is made and sold at Oktoberfest in Germany: Oktoberfest Lebkuchen-Herzen

They are lebkuchen cookies made in the shape of a heart, decorated with icing and made with two holes through which a ribbon is strung. They can be hung around your neck before eating.

Here is a quote from Festival Baking by Sarah Kelly Iaia"

Lebkuchen hearts are traditionally seen all over Germany, both at Christmas markets and at regional fairs such as the Oktoberfest in Munich.  In earlier times they were shaped in decorative wooden molds.  Today they are normally iced with chocolate and decorated with hearts, flowers, and nostaligic sayings in sugar icing.  They hang from satin ribbons in fair booths to be bought by a friend or lover and hung around ones neck.

Here's a link to a photo. The saying on this one is pretty cute, "Susse Maus" or "Sweet Mouse". I saw another one that said "Kuss mich" or "Kiss Me"...

Sounds like something fun to teach a class; they could even get involved in decorating their own cookies.

Have you decided on what you will be teaching in the class yet? It would be interesting to see what you decided on.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

What about sauerkraut balls? Don't have a recipe but they taste like they contain sauerkraut, pork, and some type of dough/filler....then deep fried. Good walking around a festival with a cold beer in one hand selection.