• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where Magazine

surfer_dream

I did not go to the awards but I'm always curious to the judging process. Seemingly it is based on tourist input but I have to wonder about an international publication and it's advertisment base and agenda. I have never actually seen an issue of the publication :shock:

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

BEST AMBIENCE: The Fish House in Stanley Park

I guess that's a subjective thing, but this was the only "award" I could argue with. Some were not to my taste, but nothing that left me shaking my head.

I think the big question here was asked by SBonner. Exactly how are these awards decided.

Another question: Does anyone care?

A.

I did not go to the awards but I'm always curious to the judging process. Seemingly it is based on tourist input but I have to wonder about an international publication and it's advertisment base and agenda. I have never actually seen an issue of the publication :shock:

A good friend of mine was an editor at Where Magazine, and I can confirm that the editorial content is completely ad-driven. You buy an ad, you get a favourable review. My friend was quite skilled at "finding the silver lining" when necessary.

I can't imagine that the awards are any different.

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Hey, I resemble that remark.

I won best bar on year. I think I beat Bacchus. I can't really remember.

I have some hardware around here to prove it.

The ads serve their purpose. I use it in the summer. It brings in some tourists etc.

The awards are just a fun afternoon out seeing all of the other restauranteurs in one spot being social. I certainly would not advise anyone to rush out and buy the latest Porche based on winning an award.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I like how Hon's got best chinese and Sumarai Sushi (this can't be the same place I'm thinking can it?) got an honerable mention :raz:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

BEST NIGHT SPOT: Glowbal Grill & Satay Bar / afterglow

1079 Mainland St.; 604-602-0835.

A trailblazer for trendy lounges, Afterglow is a sexy appendage to edgy Glowbal Grill and Satay Bar. Celebs like Avril Lavigne, Kevin Spacey and Robin Williams (and likely Sarah McLachlan), come as much for the discreet treatment as the sultry atmosphere and stylin’ cocktails. On the menu: small tastes like tequila lamb with lime-mint satay, and yam frites with sun-dried tomato aioli.

Memorable Meal Tidbit: Late night smooch: over fondues of smoked applewood cheese with short ribs and prosciutto grissini, or creamy milk chocolate with house-made biscotti, shortbread, banana bread and fresh fruit.

Honourable Mentions: Celebrities Night Club; Bin 941.

Hmmm, I had no idea there were edibles at Celebrities, just cocktails! :biggrin:

Stepho's, honourable mention for best European?? :huh:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

"The 10th annual Most Memorable Meal Awards reflect every experience from casual encounters with upstart noodle joints to sunset-blessed dinners in tranquil shoreline settings."

I'm assuming that I guess part of the most memorable meal awards reflect the ever-so-popular criteria of value, considering after all, this is not a critics choice/poll but one among readers' choices.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

"The 10th annual Most Memorable Meal Awards reflect every experience from casual encounters with upstart noodle joints to sunset-blessed dinners in tranquil shoreline settings."

I'm assuming that I guess part of the most memorable meal awards reflect the ever-so-popular criteria of value, considering after all, this is not a critics choice/poll but one among readers' choices.

Actually that's a good point. "Most Memorable" can certainly include sumarai sushi since their sushi can be best described as "memorable".

It's nice to see restaurants for the masses mentioned in here in retrospect. As I like to think of myself as a peon with foodie aspirations.

Edited by fud (log)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

:blink:

Honestly well I should really say where is it - honesty I mean! I'm extremely meticulous to details especially since this is something that is in my field of employ and when it comes to the realization that your info is 100% true, it leaves me little desire to ever take to my palate what certain critiques have to say.

I must say that I do enjoy catching up on issues of mags as I travel quite extensively and I just shake my head and put a smile on my face that, well I guess his/her dinner was just paid and complimented with a nice bottle of wine??

There has definitely been more than once when I have attended such gatherings that attendees all have the same thoughts under their breath! Perhaps if you ask around you can already be informed of who is going to be the Best Restaurant, Best New and perhaps who enjoys the most complimentary Heinikens. Same old, same old.

I was in for the awards and stayed just to see some past fellow colleagues as it really is the only time a can catch up with all that is new and of course hearing the same old - nothing changes!

My question for the the judges and please do not take this as a downright 'bash' for those places ever voted, can they honestly say they know what is happening in the scene or is just a question of accumulative freebies?

As per your comment based on editorial driven ad content, this is not the first time I've heard or actually seen this. Purchase 3 local food mags and review the ad content over a couple of years and it is exactly what you are stating - place a 5-10,000 dollar ad and hey you can always be the best - after all you are paying my hefty salary and feeding myself and my family most gratuitously. I therefore cannot complain - Next time replace the foi gras with tripe and see where that gets you - and oh yes of course the numerous imported beer!

A good friend of mine was an editor at Where Magazine, and I can confirm that the editorial content is completely ad-driven. You buy an ad, you get a favourable review. My friend was quite skilled at "finding the silver lining" when necessary.

I can't imagine that the awards are any different.