• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris no reservation establishments

PS

I'm visiting Paris over the weekend, but have managed to fail to plan (yes, for all you management gurus, I have therefore planned to fail... :wink:). I have bagged a table at an old favourite Chez Michel on the Monday night, but I fear I've left it too late to book something for Saturday or Sunday (tried Aux Lyonnais earlier, but they're fully booked).

So, the question here is, can anyone recommend an establishment that is:

a) open for Saturday and/or Sunday evening; and

b) will take hungry eaters without reservations from off the street?

Au Pied du Cochon springs to mind, but any advice will be gratefully received.

Merci bien,

Philip

PS

Edinburgh

Staying in the Latin Quarter. near the Sorbonne.

I'm eyeing up Le Comptoir for lunch on Saturday, which should take care of my gastronomic concerns for one day at least...

In the past I've managed to drop in to a few local bistros with good results. I'm just wondering there are any of the bigger bistro draws that one can be reasonably sure of not needing a reservation.

PS

Edinburgh

Rue Clément between Rue de Seine and Rue Mabillon has about 6 nice bistros which should be available without reservations; La Golfe de Naples, #8, has above average Italian food in a bistro setting; L'Instant Gourmand at #2, is open until midnight with some terrific casual food; Nicolas, across the street, is a great Wine Bar with some great small plates; Directly across from La Golfe is a wonderful bistro with their hook being every dish is cooked with fresh herbs. A beautifully-decorated place, with inventive, creative dishes.

If you want to try, down the block at rue Mabillon is La Petite Cour, a step up from a bistro but might be "complet" or Aux Charpentiers which is also in the similar category.

A slew of others also on Rue de Buci, including the bistro L'Atlas.

Bon appétit!

If you don't mind eating at 9:30 p.m. on Sunday, you might try calling or emailing Mon Vieil Ami. We were able to book there at that time on a Sunday on fairly short notice. In the same vein as Pied du Cochon, you could still probably book at Bofinger for Sunday.

I almost always book at the last minute. Look up a few restaurants you would like to try and call them that day. There are a few that will be impossible, (Regalade usually takes two weeks for me), but Mon Viel Ami, L'Ourcine, Vieux Chene, Entredgeu, etc...some or all may have reservations. Bon Chance!

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Thanks everyone - some interesting suggestions there.

It will certainly be an opportunity to try something new - who knows, on a pleasant evening stroll we may find one of those small scale local bistros that I keep hearing about!

PS

Edinburgh