• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Neal St. Restaurant?

Has anyone been to Neal St?

I am taking 2 people I've never met to dinner tomorrow, and I was hoping to get better than the usual post/business pre-theater fare around Covent Garden. Is this a good spot, or is there better within reasonable walk/cab from Lancaster Place?

I would try Hakkasan, but one of the guests is visiting from Hong Kong. I've never been to the Ivy either--is that a better option?

Thanks!

yep

Neal street restaurant is quite good actually I like it.

Ivy? tomorrow night? for dinner? good luck!!

unless you happen to be rich and or famous :laugh:

Asia de cuba is pretty funky but maybe too close to the asian theme.

Belgo? its always a safe and reliable place and always an interesting place to take visitors.

Maggiores used to be excellent and has a very extensive wine list.

Bank, Axis and Indigo are all pretty good too.

really depends on what cuisine you want.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Has anyone been to Neal St?

I am taking 2 people I've never met to dinner tomorrow, and I was hoping to get better than the usual post/business pre-theater fare around Covent Garden. Is this a good spot, or is there better within reasonable walk/cab from Lancaster Place?

I would try Hakkasan, but one of the guests is visiting from Hong Kong. I've never been to the Ivy either--is that a better option?

Thanks!

Despite Origamicranes derision, give the Ivy a try, walk-ins for non-celebs are possible if they have space. I've walked in on a Friday and a Saturday night :smile:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up, Neal Street was Ok but not terrific. I did end up going to the restaurant in hopes of fresh porcini, but the daily special of huge, almost carbon-coated mushroom chunks with chalky centers and spiked with chilies did not delight. I'm all for experimentation, but if the chef is going to fly in Italian porcini, he could treat it with a bit more respect.

I have another lunch in Covent Garden tomorrow, same company. We'll give Origin a shot, Andy. Any suggestions on what to order or things to look for? I understand the restaurant is about prime sourced ingredients and small dishes.

Maybe I'll try walking into Ivy next time :raz:

Since it looks like I'll be in this area fairly frequently, I'm still open to suggestions, especially places that would work for interesting business meals.

I've been meaning to post but just haven't had a moment, I went to Moti Mahal on Great Queen Street the other evening, and it was terrific - fresh ingredients, interestingly prepared - and they serve until late too. Delicious food, decent prices, good service.

• 10 months later...

Thanks, Magnolia. I'm still having regular lunches in this area, so I'll definitely check out Moti Mahal.

I did go to Origin and enjoyed it as much as my recent gum surgery would allow. Portions were way tiny, I must say.

Moti Mahal was a great suggestion, thanks! Nice surroundings for the price, carefully prepared food well presented, good location and pre-theater menu.

Loch Fyne was pretty mediocre, however. What does it take to get a fresh fish on this island?