• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In praise of a bread machine

Jonathan Day

I've had good results using the recipes from Rustic European Breads in my Zojirushi.  The recipes begin with a bread machine to prepare the dough which is then shaped and baked in a conventional oven.

I love this book! I also recommend it to people who don't have bread machines, it's a good introduction to baking bread.

Also note that Zojirushi has recently introduced a new model of their bread machine BBCCX20.  It doesn't appear to have any new significant features that would merit replacing my BBCCV20.  .  Does anyone have experience with the new model?

I don't have personal experience with the new one, but there's a good Zojirushi BBCCX220 Review, if you haven't already seen it. Summarizing:

While I don't think the Zojirushi BBCC-X20 is worth upgrading to for the Zojirushi BBCC-V20 owners it is a wonderful machine for those just getting in to bread machines or those with older or more basic machines. You can't go wrong with a Zojirushi.

I have the V220, I use it 3-4 times a week and I'm in no hurry to upgrade :biggrin: - but the new power failure protection would be nice. :hmmm:

The Zojirushi bread maker is horizontal with 2 paddles, and seems to be infinitely programmable.  I love mine--have been running it almost non stop for the last couple of days.

If this thread made you want a breadmaker but you were waiting to find a good one at a great price, check out the Zojirushi BBCC-V20 Home Bakery Traditional Breadmaker. It is on sale at Amazon for $141.82 (from $250). In addition, it currently listed in my Gold Box for $120.55, so check yours to see if you can get it at that price.

I wish people wouldnt' show me these things :biggrin: now i want one of these :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've had good results using the recipes from Rustic European Breads in my Zojirushi.  The recipes begin with a bread machine to prepare the dough which is then shaped and baked in a conventional oven.

Also note that Zojirushi has recently introduced a new model of their bread machine BBCCX20.  It doesn't appear to have any new significant features that would merit replacing my BBCCV20.  .  Does anyone have experience with the new model?

eGullet Amazon links for:

Rustic European Breads and Zojirushi model #BBCCV20

Buying by using direct links (like those above) or by clicking the amazon links at the bottom of the page, help us bring you eGullet.com. Thanks for your support.

eGullet Amazon links for:

Rustic European Breads and Zojirushi model #BBCCV20

Buying by using direct links (like those above) or by clicking the amazon links at the bottom of the page, help us bring you eGullet.com. Thanks for your support.

My ongoing lament. I wish they shipped to Canada :sad:

Marlene

Anna,

Glad you're enjoying this bread as it's one of my favorites. I just tried a new recipe tonight. I think you will like this. Great sandwich bread. You might have to adjust the water a bit. I had to add a few teaspoons while kneading as it looked very dry. Also, I used instant yeast instead of active dry yeast - just use slightly less. Not sure if active dry yeast would work in a bread machine. Let me know if you try this.

Betty K. I have been out of circulation for a while due to a move to a new house. I have been baking bread two to three times a week though, since I moved, using the bread machine to do the kneading and the oven to do the baking and I am a total convert to this system. I have tried quite a number of recipes from white sandwich bread to multi-grain country-style breads and all have been outstanding. I will certainly try your "new" recipe and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your interest.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You can certainly use active dry yeast in a bread machine, although I tend to use the fast rising yeast, but either works well. And I'm in agreement with AnnaN, that kneading and rising the bread in the machine works well and then take it out and bake it in the oven makes for a nicer finished product.

Marlene

• 2 weeks later...
eGullet Amazon links for:Rustic European Breads and Zojirushi model #BBCCV20

The Zojirushi model, linked above, is in my gold box again, another $20 off, now for $110.49. Check yours if you're interested, I don't see how much lower it can go. :wink:

Note: New ASIN number, so click the link in this post, not the one upthread. This one will show it on sale for $120, then check the gold box (but of course, there's no guarantee that it will be in there.

new to this forum ( have lurked for awhile) but I have to say - I gave away my bread machine a couple of years ago. I bought it thinking it would serve the purpose of fool proof ....proofing, so to speak.

At any rate, I make bread 2 - 3 times a week, some artisan, some just good old sammich bread, and don't miss the machine. Can't even see why I needed it.

Just my 2 cents. :smile:

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

eGullet Amazon links for:Rustic European Breads and Zojirushi model #BBCCV20

The Zojirushi model, linked above, is in my gold box again, another $20 off, now for $110.49. Check yours if you're interested, I don't see how much lower it can go. :wink:

Note: New ASIN number, so click the link in this post, not the one upthread. This one will show it on sale for $120, then check the gold box (but of course, there's no guarantee that it will be in there.

It cost me $50.00 a couple of months ago just to replace the pan in my Zojirishi, and that didn't even include new paddles. My Zo is over five years old so I didn't mind replacing the pan I also have the Rustic European Breads book and like it, and the Bread Machine's for Dummies book, which is also good but calls for all sorts of ingredients that you'll never have any use for in any other recipe.

I'll have to check my Amazon Gold box.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

I'm wondering how your pan got warped. Was it from baking?I almost never use the baking cycle . I use the dough cycle and then shape the dough and bake it in one of my bread pans, or on my pizza stone. Prior to getting my Zo I always had problems with the kneading and first rise. I had to replace my pan because the gaskets around the paddle arms were worn and leaking oil.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

All this bread machine talk inspired me to get mine from my mom, to whom I lent it a few months ago. First bread in there rising right now. Like others have said, it's not the same as handmade/hearth baked, but there've very few other truly set it and forget it appliances out there. Plus you get the smell of freshly baked bread in the house. Mmm.

My bread machine is in my basement, but I haul it up occasionally to make pretzel roll dough and the most decadent swiss cheese "brioche" loaf, with lots of eggs and butter... Hmm. I think I'll haul it up this weekend.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I think we need to start posting our bread machine recipes in RecipeGullet, there is a "Bread Machine" keyword under the special equipment drop down -- be sure to label the recipes for easier future reference & searches. I'd love that cheese brioche recipe.

I usually follow a recipe for a basic Italian or French Bread, but then add some parmesean cheese, olive oil instead of butter, and throw in a couple of garlic cloves. Something I realized from making raisin bread in my early bread machine days is that anything solid added in the beginning, would get shredded. You can add the garlic as whole peeled cloves, and they get pulverized by the machine and spread throughout the dough.

I just got my lovely Zojirushi (from the eGullet approved link, of course). Wonderful! Thanks so much for the recommendation.

My first loaf was a brioche which came out beautifully. Pizza dough is on the menu for tonight. Pretzel dough and some raisin bread to follow next week. This is definitely the start of a beautiful relationship.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Anna,

Glad you're enjoying this bread as it's one of my favorites. I just tried a new recipe tonight. I think you will like this. Great sandwich bread. You might have to adjust the water a bit. I had to add a few teaspoons while kneading as it looked very dry. Also, I used instant yeast instead of active dry yeast - just use slightly less. Not sure if active dry yeast would work in a bread machine. Let me know if you try this.

Betty K,

I should have got back to you long ago but between the move and everything else I've been less than social in my behaviour!

Have made this bread more times than I can count and it always WORKS! It also keeps very well.

Thank you

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd love that cheese brioche recipe.

Rachel:

I'd post in the Recipe Archive but I'm short of time and don't have time to figure it out. :angry:

2-1/4 tsp. yeast (one packet)

2 -2/3 c. bread flour

2-1/4 tsp. sugar

1-1/2 tsp. salt

8 TLBS unsalted butter (one stick!!)

3 eggs

3/4 c. water

1/2 c. (I use a little more :smile: ) finely chopped Swiss cheese

Dump all ingredients EXCEPT CHEESE in machine according to your brand's directions. Press Start. At the end of the first kneading cycle, throw in the cheese.

It's yummy and makes great toast (in the oven/toaster oven/TOASTER BAGS. Otherwise you'd cheese up your toaster.

ATTENTION All E-Gulleter Bread Machine Owners: Please try the pretzel rolls on Epicurious. They are SO good and fun to make too.

PS - I meant to say throw all the ingredients in (except the kosher/coarse salt for the top, of course) in the machine and run the dough cycle, then continue with the recipe. Also, be careful when boiling them as the water has a tendency to boil over in a fast way.

There. I feel better now.

Essentially, you crush some grapes into a flour/water batter, then let this develop, feeding it periodically, until you have a strong starter. This takes about 10 days, if I recall correctly. You can then use this to make a range of "levain" breads. They are delicious and for some mysterious reason they keep a long time, even though you haven't added fat to the dough.
-- posted by Jonathan Day, June 16 2002.

I think the "mysterious reason" is the raisins, they have some preservative properties. If you look on a bread or cereal label and see "Calcium proprionate" listed as an ingredient, that's from raisins.

360 ml water

1 tablespoon sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt

2 tablespoon powdered milk

25 grams melted unsalted butter

500 grams better for bread bread flour

Setting #1 for white bread, 2 lb., and dark crust.

Slash the top just before the baking cycle begins.

A mighty fine loaf of white bread.

• 3 weeks later...

Not converting the above, but here are the measurements for my standard loaf:

1 1/4 cup water

1 Tbs sugar

1 tsp kosher salt

1 Tbs powdered milk

2 Tbs fat (butter or EVOO)

3 cups bread flour

1/3 cup flavoring flour (wheat bran, rye flour, whole wheat flour, oat flour, whatever, or just use 3 1/3 cup bread flour)

1.5 tsp bread machine yeast.

Just made one today (butter, wheat bran, rolled oats) slashing the top and adding an egg wash and a sprinkling of rolled oats on top just before the baking cycle began. It came out so beautifully. I don't know why I never thought to egg wash the top before?