• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for wood for the smoker

JohnnyH

I just finished building a barbecue pit out of two 55-gal drums and a stove conversion kit. Now all I need is the wood to burn.

All I can find locally is mixed hardwood; does anyone know of a good source for hickory, oak or maple? I'm in Morristown; hopefully I can find something relatively close.

Thanks for the help.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Johnny, Check with the Hometown Hearth store across from the PC Richard and Sons on Rt 10 Westbound in Whippany. They should have or be able to get anything you need.

Hometown Hearth & Grill

240 Rt. 10 West

Whippany, NJ 07981

Phone: (888)298-0031

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Thanks for the response. I actually already tried them, to no avail. Most of the equipment they sell works with wood pellets, so that's most of what they keep in stock. They've also got some chips, but I'm looking for actual logs -- I'd like to buy the better part of a cord. Believe it or not, they didn't even have anyone they could recommend to me -- the salesperson I spoke to acted as though he thought I was from Mars.

-- Albert Ellis

Ok, My next suggestion is to call Lance at Indigo Smoke in Montclair. He is a really nice chap. Ask him who his supplier is. In fact call all the BBQ places in the area ans see who is using what wood and of course report back to us with your findings.

You can tell Lance that Eric the guy opening the Hot dog restaurant suggested you call.

Eric (the guy opening the Hot Dog restaurant)

Edited by ejebud (log)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Ok, My next suggestion is to call Lance at Indigo Smoke in Montclair. He is a really nice chap.  Ask him who his supplier is.  In fact call all the BBQ places in the area ans see who is using what wood and of course report back to us with your findings.

You can tell Lance that Eric the guy opening the Hot dog restaurant suggested you call.

Eric (the guy opening the Hot Dog restaurant)

Great idea Eric, and thanks for the reference. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Jon

-- Albert Ellis

Have you tried a tree service? maybe you can catch someone trimming or cutting down a nice old Maple or Oak :cool:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Have you tried a tree service? maybe you can catch someone trimming or cutting down a nice old Maple or Oak :cool:

tracey

Some of the tree services do sell the wood they cut as well. Trick is, though, that it's got to be "seasoned" -- aged for about a year -- before it will burn clean. It's definitely another avenue I'm pursuing, but I thought it'd be easier than it turns out to be to find a source of seasoned hardwood.

-- Albert Ellis

On Rt46 in Fairfield there's a garden center, I forget the name but it's on the west bound side. I had bought 60lb bags of hardwood chunks, mesquite and hickory, to use in my smoker. This was over a year ago but there's no reason they don't still carry wood. When you pull in the driveway there is a small building on the left with grills and odds and ends, this was where we got the wood chunks. Good Luck

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!