• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plastic loaf pans you can bake in?

LCS

I'm looking for plastic bake in loaf pans with lids. I've only seen them in black which I don't mind, but wondered if they come in other colors? Also, for those of you who use them, do they hold quick breads well? For how long? Do they do well in the freezer?

Not quite the same but I'm pleased with my flexible silicone loaf tin, made by LeCreuset I think. Bright orange.

Definitely not the same thing! Hehe! What I'm talking about are loaf pans you can bake in, stick a lid on with a label, then straight to the retail shelf.

My local paper/container store carries a whole line of them... you could check with a similar local company.

Here's a couple sites to try though:

Qualita Paper

Sur La Table

World Cuisine

(search for "Paper Baking Molds")

Edited by Pam R (log)

You can get rather nice disposable wooden loaf forms. I think they are very thin birch. You bake in them, then sell the loaf in the form.

SFBI used to carry them, but their website seems down.

Oooo. Wooden? That sounds nice. I'll keep my eye on their website. I'm trying to load it right now and it's just not working.

Wendy, you're right; ads for those are all over the place, but when I need it, I can't seem to find it! Isn't that always how it goes? Hahaha. I just looked through 2 trade mags last night and couldn't find it. I've seen those brown paper ones with the fleur-de-lis on them, but a local competitor already uses those for their quick breads so I'm looking for something different.

My local paper/container store carries a whole line of them... you could check with a similar local company.

Here's a couple sites to try though:

Qualita Paper

Sur La Table

World Cuisine

(search for "Paper Baking Molds")

Thanks for posting the links! I just checked them out, and those are the ones I just mentioned that my competitor uses. I REALLY like those too b/c of how they look and also b/c it'll biodegrade (unlike plastic), but at least plastic can be reused and I could put a little blurb on my label about ways to recycle the loaf container or something. Jackal mentioned those birch ones and I'm dying to see those. I'm sure it's pricey, but I bet they look GREAT and for where I'll be selling these, they won't mind at all paying extra for nice packaging. I still do like the idea of a plastic lid being popped on so simply instead of having to shrink wrap. Also, from the customer point of view, when a slice of two is removed, they can put the lid back on instead of having to cover it up with plastic wrap.

I just found the wooden ones. They are gorgeous, but I'm back to the shrink wrapping and feeling guilty about trees and not sure how these could be reused. Meh.

You can purchase the Panibois wooden forms and paper liners by linking to the Demarle USA website.

I searched the Demarle sites with no luck. Can you provide a direct link?

Cheers,

Click here: wooden loaf pans, set of five $7.99 and scroll way down--there are plain paper ones, too.

and another: panimold loaf pans

and yet one more: baking baskets?

Edited by chefcyn (log)
It's not the destination, but the journey!

Can you get some sort of liners for those wooden pans? I keep thinking that they'll take the moisture out of your cake and the pretty boxes will grease stain (stained containers never sell product well). I suppose the companies have thought about that, but just in case, make sure they're sealed somehow.............

I use the paper pans (bake on double stacked sheet trays). The ones I use are from France, pretty dark brown with gold design on the sides. They don't stain, you don't need to spray them. They look like wood. The wooden ones come with liners and are meant to be reused, Wendy.

You can purchase the Panibois products at www.chefsboutique.com

They are re-usable, but they are also a tool for upscale marketing for higher end products. It is common to see multi-grain, whole grain, and signature products marketed in this manner.