• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] Whole Foods Flagship

Kent Wang

It's been open a while now. What do you guys think?

Here's what I posted on another forum. It is a rather opinionated statement, but hey, I'm an opinionated guy.

On a similar note, do you notice a disproportionate number of attractive women at the new Whole Foods? Every time I go in there when I'm in Austin I see at least five, often more, pretty gorgeous girls.

You mean the flagship one? Yes, that seems to be where all the rich hot chicks are. Those are the types that buy organic not because they really believe in it but because they can afford it. I feel that Whole Foods jacks up their prices due to this "whole" philosophy that they promote, which is rather sickening to me. The prepared foods that are the major draw there are a joke. It's difficult for me to comprehend how people can think that stuff is gourmet in any way.

I think most foodies agree that Central Market is superior for quality / cost. I see more internationals (usually French or South American) at Central Market.

I thought I added comment, but it did not post. Here we go again. This store is huge and impressive but more "organic" than gourmet. Central market is for foodies and Whole Foods is for the "in crowd". Spinach doesn't care where the nitrogen came from.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Whole foods is ok but, they just don't have the exotics that Central Market has. That being said I find myself shopping for produce more at Carnival. It's amazing that the "low end" grocery has produce that much to the time is nicer than Central or Whole foods for a 1/4 as much.

So now I shop at Carnival first and then pick up the exotics at central.

Never trust a skinny chef

What/where is Carnival? Is it in Austin or Plano?

Saying that HEB is better than WF Flagship is a little pushing it. WF Flagship has tons of mushrooms and a much larger bulk goods section than any HEB I've seen.

Saying that HEB is better than WF Flagship is a little pushing it. WF Flagship has tons of mushrooms and a much larger bulk goods section than any HEB I've seen.

Kent, it made an appearence in response to Fiesta. In Austin, you should basically shop at Fiesta at 38th and I-35 for Mexican procduce and exotics. This is not an advertisement, it is a fact. There are other stores in Austin where you can find exotic and ethnic things, but the Fiesta markets are the best resource.

Regards,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Do you have Hong Kong Markets like we have in the Houston area? If you do, go to them first for produce of all kinds. No self respecting oriental would ever purchase anything but the freshest and ripest greengoods and fruits. After HK Market go to Fiesta then CM. :rolleyes:

I have to agree. My first choice is Hong Kong Market, second is a big newish Fiesta Mart like at Bellaire and Hwy 6. I only go to Central Market when I want something really exotic. Note . . . All of these markets are about a 40 mile trek for me so I get really particular. The butcher shop at the big HK market on Bellaire surpasses the CM shop in my opinion. And, the prices are a lot better. Their pork is amazing.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've never been that impressed with Whole Foods overall. I mean, what kind of gourmet market doesn't have a decent selection of vinegars? Whole Foods always struck me as a place for people who don't cook.

After relocating to Dallas this week, I experienced Central Market for the first time. Now that is some place.

So why do all the high end grocery stores come from Austin?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

The Hong Kong market in Austin is rather pathetic, small and dirty. About the size of your average 7-11.

I've been to the Houston Hong Kong and Welcome centers dozens of times but I really do not think their produce or meat is nearly as fresh or sanitary as Central Market. It is certainly cheaper, and you can get a lot of unusual items, but if the item in question can be had at either grocery I'd much rather pay the premium at Central Market.

Let me rephrase. As far as overall selection, some of the BIG HEBs (I'm thinking of some of the newer ones) have the run-of-the-mill Whole Foods beat. Most of them now carry the full line of Central Market branded items and their produce and meat markets are getting better and better. Maybe they taper off when compared to the Flagship down at Lamar & 6th, but the smaller ones like the Lower Greenville location in Dallas get beat everytime.

And Fiesta is outstanding for produce selection!

Gear nerd and hash slinger

A lot of my friends complain about parking at WF Flagship. I don't get it. I just park in the second-level basement. There's always plenty of space right next to the escalators. In fact, compared to Central Market you end up spending half as much time exposed to the elements.