• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

who is the Billy Joel of Chefs?

I think I know, but I'd like some bitter diatribe with extra rant on the side.  I agree with you on Elton John, but come on man, what about Daniel? ("do you still feel the pain of the scars that won't heal")  How about some Herb Alpert and Brazil 66 right when the kitchen gets totally monkey fucked at the crunch?  If you ever walk in a kitchen and hear -Journey, Styx, Rush, Boston, Eagles, etc...- would you  1.run away or 2.start a grease fire and run away?  How about some Stiff Little Fingers, Bad Religion, Angry Samoans, Fugazi, Dead Kennedys, Social Distortion, Bad Brains...I smell some CDs burning.  Want to come over after school and get high and listen to my ALBUMS?  Who is the ELO of Chefs?  the Pablo Cruise?  the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band?....

I think that there can be an honest debate about whom is the Emeril of pop music but not the other way around.

Tim

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

I agree with you on Elton John, but come on man, what about Daniel? ("do you still feel the pain of the scars that won't heal")  

Not an EJ fan, but recently heard Madman Across the Water and remembered that in his early days he did have some pearls.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

No shrieky-ass falsettoed big-haired rock anthem warbling motherfuckers in my kitchen. Dead Kennedys welcome anytime.

I shudder to think what some of these mutts listen to in their kitchens. Jamie Oliver's musical tastes are well documented--he had an Abba Party the other night--with some "mates" dressed up like Abba. Here's something I never understood--as to me--Abba avec irony is just as awful as Abba without--and listening to Abba says the same thing about you it did twenty years ago--that you are deeply, deeply disturbed and a danger to yourself and others. The thought of Emeril--in his boxer shorts, busting a move in front of the mirror to ANY music is enough to make me want to shoot dope again--and I have a hard time picturing Bobby Flay listening to anything but Lite FM. Mario Batali, by the way--has excellent, far-reaching and varied tastes in music.--and can talk knowledgably about it. Scott Bryan likes Alice in Chains and Metallica--and Eric Ripert loves techno. Thomas Keller LOVES Little Green Bag by George Baker (from Res Dogs soundtrack). I've heard rumors that Martha Stewart likes Nine Inch Nails--and can make you a working bong from a tube of old toilet paper roll and a little foil. Good woman to have around in a pinch.

abourdain

I agree with you on Elton John, but come on man, what about Daniel? ("do you still feel the pain of the scars that won't heal")  

Not an EJ fan, but recently heard Madman Across the Water and remembered that in his early days he did have some pearls.

Dang, I still *love* "Madman Across the Water."

I've heard rumors that Martha Stewart likes Nine Inch Nails--and can make you a working bong from a tube of old toilet paper roll and a little foil.

Its a good thing.  

She can also do some shit with hot glue that will freak your world real real bad.

Nah, Martha never makes anything with foil, toilet paper tubes, or even egg cartons for that matter.  She'd bring in eyepatch-wearing, frizzy-haired glass artist Dale Chihuly.  Dale would demonstrate for the viewers (in the glass-blowing studio in Martha's estate) how to recreate the Graphix bong you broke back in '88 when they stopped making them.  Martha would demonstrate how to build a wooden box with a false bottom in which to keep one's stash, complete with decoupaged pot leafs and whimsical Grateful Dead dancing bears.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I've made them from tampon tubes and the foil from gum wrappers...

pariah - you can come to my house - my parents aren't home

my kitchen's got X, Germs, Ramones, Buzzcocks, Gang of Four... play your cards right and I'll even get out my Throbbing Gristle (and it's all on vinyl)

As for B.J. -I thought that honor would fall to Bobby Flay-

pedantic, obnoxious, irritating, and never seems to go away...

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Hey Monkymay....

Billy joels out here in CT getten some rehab!!! way to much Abba, sent him over the edge.

If anyone still likes albums from the late 60's and 70's mixed in with some crazy cutting edge shit, come dance in my kitchen!!!

To whom ever mentianed mad man accross the water by EJ, I agree...this is a good set of vibs..right levon?

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Hey CCsmile

It's nice to see you here. I'll be right over - I've been looking for an excuse to visit CT - I'll bring my old Stones and Hendrix albums. Maybe we can slam some new shit together.

ps what did you think of my menu?

Monkey

Monky..

Love the Tellichery skirt steak, and of course the oysters :smile: Excellent menu Monkey. Love your style with taste,texture and color...

The doors open, come on in!!! maybe I could convince Billy to play "Italian restaurant"

The doors open, come on in!!! maybe I could convince Billy to play "Italian restaurant"

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!! (shudder)

A visibly shaken Monkey  :smile:

Monkey,

A little Midnight lightning by Hendrix always got me jammin on the Garland. Hear my train a coming

Hey, Back to the case in point...I have been told by a number of people that I look like a cross between Billy Joel and Robert DiNiro :raz: I kid you not...

I didn't know your looks WERE the case in point CC :raz:

As far as Hendrix goes I've always been partial to

Vodoo Child  and Manic Depression. Saw Hendrix play when I was 12, can truly say the man changed my life...    :smile:

Monkey

Um....Billy Joel just entered a substance abuse program this morning (read it on the wires), so perhaps he isn't a lost cause after all.

OTOH, the problem was undisclosed, so it could be Wine Coolers he's addicted to.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Awww Jeesus! Here we go. The Billy Joel, People Mag post-rehab cover. "He's back! With a new album about his struggles with..." He cries for Barbara Walters--that's a Must, of course. And Oprah for sure. Mutt's probably sniffing crushed up Ritalin and washing it down with Peach schnapps or some shit...Anyone smell book deal?

abourdain

i remember when he did that

"uptown girl" video....

here is a multi-millionaire singing to his super-model

girlfriend, about what a regular blue collar guy he is...

m

-white bread world inc.

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

2_21_175_joel_billy.jpg

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM