• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

State College restaurants

Lori in PA

Hubby will be attending a conference in State College next week and I will be having a few days of quality I'm-not-a-mommy time there with him. We'd love suggestions for lunches/dinners. We'll have our car. TIA.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

It's been a number of years since I've been back to Dear Old State, so there may be some different dining options than the ones I'll mention. All of these are right down on (or just off) College Avenue, the main drag in town.

The "fancy" restaurant in town is called The Tavern. I wouldn't classify it as fine dining, but it is where a lot of folks go after graduation. It's not pricey by big city standards (dinner for 2 with a low-priced bottle of wine shouldn't set you back more than $60).

Some good mid-priced eats can be found at Allen Street Grill, the Corner Room, and Mario & Luigi's.

Baby's is a 50's style diner. Food is alright, atmosphere is a lot of fun.

For breakfast, the Waffle Shop is top notch.

And of course, stop by the Creamery (on campus) for ice cream.

Edited by mjg (log)

A recent and very welcome addition to the State College dining scene is Zola's New World Bistro, at 324 W. College Ave. My wife and I had a sublime dinner on our most recent trip to Dear Old State last year. It's a fusion-y bistro menu (I had a whole roasted bass with an asian inspired dipping sauce), but everything was very well executed. It seemed to us like it was aiming for a NYC-trendoid kind of vibe, with modern design elements and the eclectic menu, but damned if it didn't deliver. Creditable bar there as well, and a fairly decent list of wines.

Other, more off-the-beaten-path options include Schnitzel's, in Bellefonte (315 W. High Street), which is a very good German place with charm and character. And Gamble Mill, also in Bellefonte (160 Dunlap Street), is a rustic old mill with plenty of excellent entrees to offer (in the Continental vein, I suppose). Good for a night out, to be sure.

Mario and Luigi's is decent Italian, but the nearest outpost is now a drive from campus, on North Atherton St. The original location on S. Garner St. is now Beulah's Bar-B-Que, which I believe is a new venture (well, newish) by Mario & Luigi's owners.

Others may spring to mind in time, but there are a few thoughts...

Christopher

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I just saw this was resurrected and saw I hadn't replied back after our trip. Sorry -- I really like it when others do that.

We ate at Zola's and very much enjoyed ourselves. As I remember, I had the tuna -- very slightly overcooked beyond my preference, but not enough to bother me. I remember good bread, or rather, I remember my hungry dh not keeping his hands off the good bread and filling up more than he should have on it.

The second night we ate at the Tavern and were pretty underwhelmed. It got funny as they kept coming back to tell us they were out of things we'd ordered. I was tempted to say, "How about you just tell us what you've actually GOT, and we'll pick one or the other?" I thought we paid more than the food was worth, too.

After we walked around the town for awhile, we (still a little hungry) stopped in to the State College Diner (or Grille, or something) and had one of those "famous grilled stickies." Now that was good! We ordered one to share and then ended up ordering another. (I feel sure dh ate more than half each time.)

The last night we ate at Mario and Luigi's. We were way tired, and not terribly hungry, but the server was kind and didn't seem to mind at all our request to share an entree. I can't remember what we ate, but we preferred it to the Tavern.

Dh was attending a conference during the days and I was busy with a project in our hotel room, so I breakfasted and lunched on items from the nice Wegman's grocery at the edge of town.

Zola's was our favorite, and those grilled stickies made a nice snack. Thanks, everyone, for your help in pointing us to decent food.

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

What's a grilled stickie?   :smile:

Thanks for the report!

http://www.thediner.statecollege.com/stickies.html

As for what it is rather than how to get one, a grilled sticky is a Central PA treat (which may or may not have originated in Philadelphia) that's a bready kind of dough coated with a sugary topping, mashed together into a log, cut to a 2" or so width, and pan-fried in butter. Best served, IMHO, with Penn State Creamery butter pecan ice cream. (Note: at Ye Olde College Diner, a sticky served a la mode is known as a Mount Nittany.)

Mmm. Mmm mm mmmm.

Christopher

What's a grilled stickie?  :smile:

Thanks for the report!

http://www.thediner.statecollege.com/stickies.html

As for what it is rather than how to get one, a grilled sticky is a Central PA treat (which may or may not have originated in Philadelphia) that's a bready kind of dough coated with a sugary topping, mashed together into a log, cut to a 2" or so width, and pan-fried in butter. Best served, IMHO, with Penn State Creamery butter pecan ice cream. (Note: at Ye Olde College Diner, a sticky served a la mode is known as a Mount Nittany.)

Mmm. Mmm mm mmmm.

Christopher

I think that's somewhat clear from the image on the page: http://www.thediner.statecollege.com/images/stickies.jpg

Edited by Furious Flav-or (log)

• 3 months later...

I just spent a week in State College. I was there for a wedding and most of my meals were planned for me, but I did get a chance to try a couple of things.

I happened to be staying close to Wegmans - and stopped in to get some fruit for my hotel room (breakfast). The first things I noticed were these:

gallery_25849_641_8275.jpg

I didn't get one at the time - because I was hoping to get to the actual diner to try one fresh and hot. And I did:

gallery_25849_641_4093.jpg

Damn. That's a good thing. (Note the fork digging in before I even took the picture!) Thank you for sending me for a stickie. Well worth it. I was hoping to get back for one more before leaving, but didn't have a chance. So I did pick one up at Wegman's before I left - we'll see if it holds up to the one at the diner.

On to the Waffle Shoppe. We have a breakfast place here (The Pancake House) that many people love - it's the sort of place you meet up with out-or-towners for breakfast when they're visiting. Doesn't compare to the Waffle Shoppe. I visited twice - once on the second day in town - then again on Monday. My parents co-hosted a brunch here for out-of-town guests who were still in town. There were about 45 of us - and the service and food were both great.

Here's a shot of about half of our table:

gallery_25849_641_1456.jpg

Pan-fries in State College are awesome. Everybody enjoyed brunch - everything was great.

First night in town was dinner at Mario and Luigi's. I ordered a special - which was a mistake. I didn't enjoy it at all - but I tasted 2 of the pastas and a gnocchi that others had - they were much better than my meal. Somebody else had a calzone that looked really good (I don't know why I didn't taste it).

One night the family having the wedding brought a bunch of bbq to a hotel party room and those of us in town gathered. It was good but I don't remember where it was from. Other nights were dinners for about 100 catered at the house - and a couple of family restaurants that were chosen specifically on the basis of the enjoyment level of an 18-month-old little girl. Nothing to write home about. (And the wedding was at the State Penner - not bad for banquet food.)

I had tried twice to get to Zola's for dinner - but my plans were foiled both times. On Tuesday we met up with the bride, groom and mother of the bride for a light lunch/snack before heading to the airport. All of the picture were blurry and poorly lit :angry: , but the restaurant itself photographed well (sort of):

gallery_25849_641_34649.jpg

I really liked the room. I was told that it could be very loud and noisy - but it was a quiet afternoon - with only a few other guests - and we were able to have a lovely conversation as we all shared some dishes.

I really enjoyed the meal - but would have liked to go at dinner when I was hungrier and would have had the opportunity to sample some other things. I'd definitely go back.

Good week, good food, beautiful wedding.

• 1 month later...
I'm spending a few days in State College in early November for my Grandmother's 90th birthday.  Any recommendations for great pizza, or does one have to trek to Philadelphia for that?

Sorry, can't answer the State College question... but generally speaking, you wouldn't want to trek to Philadelphia for Pizza. If you got that desperate, you'd be better off heading due east to NYC.

With a few notable exceptions, Philadelphia is sort of famous for *not* having good pizza. :rolleyes:

I'm sure someone will give you some local options, though.

__Jason

If possible, have one at the diner first, because they will heat it on the grill for you and you'll taste it as it is meant to be consumed. Then buy some from a local grocery like Wegman's before you leave town, take them home, and "grill" them yourself in your own non-stick skillet with a little butter (directions on package). DON'T buy a package and just open them and eat them as is -- in that case they're just another sticky bun.

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

Jason - For good pizza I would suggest Faccia Luna. The owners also have another location in northern VA as well. They have great wood fired pizzas, grinders, etc.

Mario and Luigi's is another locally owned place, and they also have pretty good pizza, but I would stick with Faccia Luna. Unfortunately around here we don't have a plethora of great pizza places. :sad:

• 1 year later...

The owner's of Zola opened a new Italian place in Lemont (a "suburb" of State College) in April 2006 called Alto Italian. I've now eaten there a half dozen times, and feel reasonably confident in saying that together with Zola, Alto is just about the only place worth actively seeking out in the State College area. Maybe living here colors my view, as nostalgia hasn't set in, but I cannot actually recommend anyplace else: if you are expecting anything above pure mediocrity, you have to go to one of these two places. I'm not saying that they are worth the trip to State College (they aren't!) but they are head and shoulders above the "competition."

Zola (reviewed by several others above) is a bit noisy at dinner, though I think the food is a bit better than Alto, and definitely more "interesting." If you could only go to one, my current personal recommendation in the State College area is Alto Italian---it is off the beaten path (by about a half mile, but that's all it takes around here!), quiet, reasonably well lit, and reasonably priced. Order wine: don't waste your time ordering mixed drinks (anyplace that says they can't make a Daiquiri because they are "out of mix" is automatically removed from cocktail consideration in my book). The wine list is pretty good for State College, with a wide price range and plenty of stuff in the "affordable by a grad student" category. The size of the appetizers varies widely, so ask the server before you order one for yourself. Some are a few bites, but I ordered the calamari last time and got a portion size more reminiscent of the Olive Garden. The salads are competent, sometimes even "quite good" in the summer when they can use fresh local ingredients. The pasta is usually just a touch past al dente, at least to my taste, and the sauces tend to the sweet side, but overall very tasty. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely worth eating. I have had several very good meat and seafood dishes, including the Osso Buco and the Branzino, so if you aren't fixated on getting pasta at the local Ialian joint, I'd recommend that route. The desserts are nothing to write home about, but it's hard to screw up a cheese plate: uninspired, but tasty nevertheless.

Again, I would never travel to State College for the food, but if you're coming and care to eat the best of what the area has to offer, the choices are clear. Alto Italian for those who like it quiet, Zola for those who prefer to dine in the downtown bar zone.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Chris- did you see today's paper? The owners of Zola bought the Gamble Mill late last year. I am anxious to see what they do with it. We haven't been to Alto yet, but I definitely want to go soon. This area needs more dining on that level.

Edited by Wein1965 (log)