• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern Breakfasts in DC/NoVa

danfishe

I am looking for a traditional southern breakfast spot in D.C. or NoVa. On the assumption that one is more likely to be found furhter out in Va, I am willing to drive a bit into Va. I'm looking for somthing along the lines of Monells or Lovelace in Nashville--large tables, communal dining, ham and biscuts, etc. Thanks.

based on the menu, south side 815 is not like a pancake pantry, monell's, loveless, etc. in terms of providing a country breakfast. regardless of menu, no place in dc is going to have the atmosphere or warmth of the aforementioned places in nashville. might as well order something from early's, loveless, etc. and make it yourself.

I really don't think you're going to find what you're after within an hour of the city, unfortunately. I wish I could tell you exactly where you'd find what you're looking for, but I've been chewing this over and have absolutely no idea. I mean, I'm from North Carolina and this sort of thing is pretty rare even there--you can get aspects of it at lots of places (the ham biscuits, rarely family-style service, but I've never seen the communal table) but not the whole experience it sounds like you're seeking.

That's what I figured--nothing in D.C.--what if I'm willing to drive an hour or two into Virginia?  Anything there?  Thanks

Don't downplay Ben's Chili Bowl. It is worth a hit at some time during your stay. One of those one-of-a-kind institutions - required eating.

Within two hours I think, I'm guessing a hour and a half if the traffic on I-66 isn't too opressive, the Southern Kitchen in New Market VA, off of I-81. A long trek for breakfast, but through the Shenadoah Valley and kinda scenic, especially if the leaves are turning.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Although I've never had their brunch--only been there for lunch--several people whose opinions I trust have told me that Georgia Brown's on 15th Street downtown serves a fabulous brunch. Check out their brunch menu here.

Georgia Brown Brunch Menu

Those who've had it tell me that there's so much to choose from on the brunch buffet that you never get to eat your entree. Wow, that Mai Tai on their menu sounds pretty tasty.

Also, there's Bubba Muscogee's Restaurant on Rhode Island Avenue, N.E. Address and directions here:

Bubba Muscogee's

Absolutely nothing fancy. I've eaten there many times, but not brunch, and always left with a smile on my face. The fried chicken is amazing. I couldn't find a menu online, so better check if they serve breakfast food.

And like Holly said, do not write off Ben's Chili Bowl.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

there's a place in charlottesville that's called the tavern. it's like the pancake pantry, but with more of a greasy spoon feel.

brings back memories...

Eating at the Tavern is almost obligatory on a visit to c'ville.

BTW, any of you out there know where I can score some white lily flour. I feel like biscuits. Have check most of the local groceries (e.g., safeway, Magruders, Giant). No luck. Are we too far north?

Soup

just order it from the white lily website.

https://www.whitelily.com/Store/Category.aspx?ID=58

yeah, i'm much more of a tavern person than dealing with bodo's (i never saw the allure of bodo's honestly)...but then again, on weekends, i never woke up until about noon and was happy to wander on down to littlejohn's for a four cheese with turkey or college inn for the greatest chicken parm sammich ever.

BTW, any of you out there know where I can score some white lily flour.  I feel like biscuits.  Have check most of the local groceries (e.g., safeway, Magruders, Giant).  No luck.  Are we too far north?

Soup

Harris Teeter carries White Lily flour and Martha White cornmeal.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Food Lion might, too, as they are also a Southern grocery store chain. I'm pretty sure I've seen it at some of the gourmet markets in the area as well (Dean and Deluca, Balduccis).

Food Lion has White Lily flour and Duke's mayo.  That's pretty much the only stuff I buy there.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you again for that information! To think that I (not wanting to pay shipping fees) have been waiting for semi-annual trips back home to Nashville to stock up on White Lily! And Food Lion prices can't be all that high, I'm sure. Thank you! (This has to be one of the best things I have learned from eGullet!)

you'll be in for some surprises next time you're here...lots of change along west end and green hills:

houston's is gone, and some new place called bricktops is moving in. the rio bravo building is being turned into a stoney river. maggiano's is about to open up across from tin angel. j. alexander's is moving into the old cooker location near vandy. there's a new le peep over on eliston. the head chef at wild boar is gone, and is supposedly being replaced by someone from the four seasons in atlanta. there's also a new seafood place opening in east nashville called battered and fried, supposedly having a new england feel (let's hope for some real lobster rolls in new england style buns). oh, and there's a cheesecake factory opening in green hills mall this month.

Thanks for the info. I have a harris teeter close by and will check be there sometime this week. BTW, will be thinking of you folks as we sit down with biscuit this weekend.

Bodo's never cared for it. Can't hold a candle to H&H begals I get delivered when ever my NY friends show up.

Tavern is definitely the place for history and the foods pretty good. Blue Moon Diner on Main use to be my favorite. Now days, when I go to c'ville with the family, we make the following food stop (not all are hit on a single visit).

1. Old VA chicken

2. Tavern

3. Little John's (Nuclear Sub is the best on the menu).

4. Spudnut

5. Big Jim's

I have to give the white spot a note but I can't go there with small kids.

Now days, when I go to c'ville with the family, we make the following food stop (not all are hit on a single visit).

5. Big Jim's

Is that the Big Jim's that's right off of 29 (next to a mini-mart, or something like that) that serves the monster burgers with a huge mound of shoestring fries? It's been over 10 years since I've been but it was always the best when I was down there.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Now days, when I go to c'ville with the family, we make the following food stop (not all are hit on a single visit).

5. Big Jim's

Is that the Big Jim's that's right off of 29 (next to a mini-mart, or something like that) that serves the monster burgers with a huge mound of shoestring fries? It's been over 10 years since I've been but it was always the best when I was down there.

Thanks,

Kevin

Not sure about the mini mart but is close to the RT29 and RT250 bypass intersection. From Rt29 across the street from Red Lobster is KFC. It is behind KFC. They have the monster burger platter a a HUGE load of shoestring fries. I knew a guy who could eat two of those but I could never finish one.

The Tavern rules. I haven't been there since college. Jessica Lang used to own a house outside of Charlottesville, and the rumor was that she frequented the Tavern, so we used to keep our hung over eyes peeled over our grits for a Jessica siting. Never happened, though. Also, a few miles further (now you are REALLY far from DC), Rowe's in Staunton is awesome... definitely responsible for the first 10 of the "freshman 15". (I was SHOCKED when Rowe's was featured in Gourmet a few years back.)

Also, on Rt. 11 right outside of Lexington is the best truck stop breakfast breakfast in this hemisphere, the Lee-Hi. But not I'm taking you WAY WAY WAY outside of DC. It's worth the drive, though.

It's been SO LONG...

Food Lion has White Lily flour and Duke's mayo.  That's pretty much the only stuff I buy there.

Where is there a Food Lion in Rockville? Or do you drive to Virginia?

Currently, I stock up on White Lily and Duke's when I visit my old college buddies in Richmond about once a month. I'd love it if I could get it closer to home (Mont. Co.).

Not sure about the mini mart but is close to the RT29 and RT250 bypass intersection. From Rt29 across the street from Red Lobster is KFC. It is behind KFC. They have the monster burger platter a a HUGE load of shoestring fries. I knew a guy who could eat two of those but I could never finish one.

I forgot about Rt 250. We used to call the platter at Big Jim's the 'Face Burger' since the burger was as big as your face :laugh:

Thanks for a great memory. I'll have to schedule a trip to C'ville for both Big Jim's and a one-eyed Gus burger at the White Spot.

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06