• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rugelach question

sabg

i am using the alfred portale recipe to make rugelach (my first time) i followed the recipe to letter except i mixed to dough manually , not with a mixer..it said 8-10 mins the oven and it was still raw...went to 12 still looked raw but i took it out..next batch went to 14 mins and still looked a bit raw but it ran all over..not that nice tight kind of cookie look..what am i doing wrong?? i double checked the oven temp

i am using the alfred portale recipe to make rugelach (my first time)  i followed the recipe to letter except i mixed to dough manually , not with a mixer..it said 8-10 mins the oven and it was still raw...went to 12 still looked raw but i took it out..next batch went to 14 mins and still looked a bit raw but it ran all over..not that nice tight kind of cookie look..what am i doing wrong?? i double checked the oven temp

Did you check oven temp with a thermometer before you put the rugelach in? My oven beeps that it's at temp about 10-15 minutes before it is actually there.

And are you sure your oven thermometer is properly calibrated.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

yup, checked and double checked...i am now trying the convestion oven...i was never much of baker (too little room for error) do u think it could have to do with not mixing the dough correctly? they taste ok, maybe too soft but tasty. its the raw look that is getting to me

i am using the alfred portale recipe to make rugelach (my first time)  i followed the recipe to letter except i mixed to dough manually , not with a mixer..it said 8-10 mins the oven and it was still raw...went to 12 still looked raw but i took it out..next batch went to 14 mins and still looked a bit raw but it ran all over..not that nice tight kind of cookie look..what am i doing wrong?? i double checked the oven temp

Did you check oven temp with a thermometer before you put the rugelach in? My oven beeps that it's at temp about 10-15 minutes before it is actually there.

And are you sure your oven thermometer is properly calibrated.

The baking time sounds way too short to me! I'm not familiar with this recipe, but the recipe I use for rugelach (cream cheese & butter dough) needs 25-30 minutes @ 375F.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

^Do you use the recipe in Baking with Julia? That's the one I use...baking time is 375 for 25-30 minutes too.

I just use the baking times as a guide. Just take them out when they're golden brown. I usually start looking for doneness 10 minutes before a cake is supposed to be ready, and for cookie recipes that are supposed to be done in 12 minutes or so, I don't even leave the kitchen. :smile:

The rugelach we make at work bake in a 350 convection oven for about 20 minutes.

I've noticed that the sides where the egg wash doesn't hit don't get very brown at all; if the whole thing had not been egg washed, I might look at them and think they weren't done.

We just added two new flavors: cranberry pecan and caramel apple. They taste like fall! :biggrin:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

We just added two new flavors: cranberry pecan and caramel apple. They taste like fall!  :biggrin:

I love using chopped dried cranberries and pecans in my macaroons (the haystack kind); and now I'm thinking I could dab the tops of them with some cranberry jam and drizzle with chocolate scribbles for a different look. I know, nothing to do with rugelach, but for them - yes, I bake mine for 25-30 mins at 375. I like the cream cheese dough from RLB's cookie book and the filling from Maida Heatter's dessert book.

The rugelach we make at work bake in a 350 convection oven for about 20 minutes.

I've noticed that the sides where the egg wash doesn't hit don't get very brown at all; if the whole thing had not been egg washed, I might look at them and think they weren't done.

I ditto this. It takes 12 to 15 minutes for the average cookie in a 350F oven. Rugelach takes longer because it's not a flat thin cookie. Granted you have to take into consideration just how big your rugelach is. Also I don't roll mine real tight so it's not super dense which would take the center longer to bake.

Mixing the dough manually will effect the crumb/texture of your dough (which is equally effected if your mixing poorly using a mixer too). If you added all the ingredients in the correct amount hand mixing can not account for what your describing. Your describing underbaked centers and the problem solving with that is either your oven temp. or the amount of time your baking them.

It's not traditional, but I do my rugelach with chopped walnuts, bittersweet chocolate, and roll them in cinnamon sugar.  :smile:

it's tradtional in my book... though I prefer almonds or pecans. :cool:

it sounds to me like they need to bake longer as well... are you making them the size that the recipe calls for? a site like this one has dozens of rugelach recipes - and the baking times vary - as low as 15 minutes. depends on recipe and size...

Cream cheese is an American addition to rugelach. I have found mention of it in Mildred O. Knopf’s The Perfect Hostess, published unsurprisingly (!) by Knopf in 1950 (my ed. from 1958). Yet, even earlier citations were made, as evidenced by the fairly in-depth research available at The Food Timeline.

I have not seen the Portale recipe. Nevertheless, I bake rugelach (using equal measurements of butter & cream cheese in the pastry) at 375° F. for about 18 minutes. Orange-poppy seed & chocolate are my favorite variations: These scrumptious crescent cookies freeze well, too.

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

i checked a few other recipes and they all use significantly more flour 30-70% more..they tasted ok v v soft but looked raw...def not for company..i enjoyed them with my husband and dog