• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Fugu in NYC

AzianBrewer

Hey folks-

Anyone here know any good places for fugu-blowfish? The last time I had this was in Japan and it's $$$$! The fish is carefully sliced to wafer thin then plated on an exquisite platter to resemble the petals of a chrysanthemum, the flower of death in Japan. I think it is the best sashimi I ever had right up there with otoro.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

I understand it's illegal to sell in the U.S. because of the danger.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

No, I think a token few places in NYC can serve it, it requires a special license issued jointly by the NY Health Department and some state agency in Japan to specific chefs. Sushi Yasuda is one of them, as is Kuruma Zushi. At least this was the case around 2002/2003.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I had some Fugu at Sugiyama recently. From what the waiter told us (as he was showing us some certificate that you need to have in Japan to sell it) was that it was flown in regularly, but that the fish was cleaned in Japan, not in the US.

Arley Sasson

I had some Fugu at Sugiyama recently. From what the waiter told us (as he was showing us some certificate that you need to have in Japan to sell it) was that it was flown in regularly, but that the fish was cleaned in Japan, not in the US.

I think the license is held by the chef, not by the restaurant. Sugiyama can get if you order it in advance by a few days. I've never had it, but they offered to me once when they had extra. It's not supposed to have much flavor, more of a texture experience. Mr. Sugiyama has a license, I think his chief assistant may have one as well.