• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FYI: Donuts!

I thought it only right of me to inform that there is NOW a Top Pot donuts in Wedgewood. It is on 35th and 70th right across from the Grateful Bread Bakery, not that you could miss it there is a huge donut outside. I probably should have put this in the new and deceased business forum but thought this would grab more eyes.

" You soo tall, but you so skinny. I like you, you come home with me, I feed you!"- random japanese food worker.

yumm!

So who else in town is making their own dougnuts, that's actually good? I've done my croissant crawl with definitive results (besalu!), maybe it's time for a Doughnut crawl?

And for that matter what do we judge them on? I'm of the opinion that a perfect buttermilk is the peak of the doughnut makers art, but a really good clasic cake style with chocolate icing & cocount flakes is not to be sneezed at....

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I'm not all that crazy about donuts, but I do really like Sophie's (on Eastlake), especially the cream-filled, chocolate topped kind. Sophie's fillings seem like a quality, homemade product, as opposed to those brightly colored, sickeningly sweet fililngs you see in most donuts.

Ah, Top Pot Doughnuts have also been excellent--at least the one on 5th in Downtown Seattle. They are added more locations, there is one on Capital Hill (I haven't been there though), and a new one just opening on 35th (NE going north/south) around 80th or so. Wonderful, warm, and real doughnuts -- not those CK things!

Ed

Ed

“Cooking should be a carefully balanced reflection of all the good things of the earth.”

I have to say I am not a doughnut fan but as I live 1/2 block from the Top Pots in Wedgwood I am sure I will wander in sometime in the next few days to check it out. It is what used to be (a long time ago) a gas station. It has been a couple of different things since. They have been working on the building and getting it ready since mid-summer (July I think) so it will be interesting to see how it turned out.

Anyone been to this location yet?

Made the grade in Food and Wine, November 2005:

Ventura CA - Baby Donut Co.

Portland OR - Voodoo Doughnut

LA CA - Grace Restaurant

Seattle WA - Top Pot (they only list the 5th Ave location)

Also, Brasa, Lola, and Dahlia (Palace Kitchen?) all have doughnuts made to order. (Restaurant in Seattle - who else?)

Ah, Top Pot Doughnuts have also been excellent--at least the one on 5th in Downtown Seattle.  They are added more locations, there is one on Capital Hill (I haven't been there though), and a new one just opening on 35th (NE going north/south) around 80th or so.  Wonderful, warm, and real doughnuts -- not those CK things!

Ed

Just to keep the picture clear, the Capital Hill location is the original. 5th Street was added later.

yumm! 

So who else in town is making their own dougnuts, that's actually good?  I've done my croissant crawl with definitive results (besalu!), maybe it's time for a Doughnut crawl?

And for that matter what do we judge them on?  I'm of the opinion that a perfect buttermilk is the peak of the doughnut makers art, but a really good clasic cake style with chocolate icing & cocount flakes is not to be sneezed at....

I'm a huge fan of Family Doughnut in the Northgate area. I think Top Pot doughnuts are good, but they are too greasy for my tastes.

Seattle Weekly - Family Doughnut Review

edit: spelling

Edited by BaconFat (log)

For those of us in the Great White North of Snohomish county, Henry's doughnut, on the Mukilteo Speedway in Mukilteo, is quite good. I am fond of their apple fritters.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Slightly off topic, but where can I get a good cannoli in Seattle?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

We've been down both the doughnut and cannoli roads before, but I admit "cannoli" didn't turn up any hits on search, for me. The answer? Good luck. But I recall recently seeing some empty shells waiting to be filled at the gelato place on the hillclimb.

We've been down both the doughnut and cannoli roads before, but I admit "cannoli" didn't turn up any hits on search, for me. The answer? Good luck. But I recall recently seeing some empty shells waiting to be filled at the gelato place on the hillclimb.

Postmark Gelato in Fremont also has cannoli ready to be filled. I haven't tried them yet but I haven't ahd anything bad from there yet either.

Rocky