• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prosciutto Fat

tazerowe

So, I recently went buy some Prosciutto San Daniele to have with figs. The butcher opened a new ham and trimmed the end so that he could produce nice slices. By the time he was ready to slice, there was a pile of large fat slices, with just a little meat here and there. I could see these were heading for the trash, so I asked and was given them as a bonus.

So, I am now the owner of maybe 1/2 or 3/4 lbs of fine pig fat. Any suggestions as to what I can do with it? My fall-back plan is to season a pot of beans, but I have plenty more than that and it seems there shoule be something more interesting. Would it be a useful cooking fat, maybe for potatoes or mushrooms, if rendered? Other ideas?

Thanks!

So,  I recently went buy some Prosciutto San Daniele to have with figs.  The butcher opened a new ham and trimmed the end so that he could produce nice slices.  By the time he was ready to slice, there was a pile of large fat slices, with just a little meat here and there.  I could see these were heading for the trash, so I asked and was given them as a bonus. 

So, I am now the owner of maybe 1/2 or 3/4 lbs of fine pig fat.  Any suggestions as to what I can do with it?  My fall-back plan is to season a pot of beans, but I have plenty more than that and it seems there shoule be something more interesting.  Would it be a useful cooking fat, maybe for potatoes or mushrooms, if rendered?  Other ideas?

Thanks!

Was there any meat left on the fat bits? You could chunk it up and use it beans, lentils, potatoes, mushrooms, etc.

I rendered some of the same stuff yesterday. It's just sound practice to have something like that on hand.

This link from a recent trip to Southern Spain shows one solution. It is very good.

As I don't have the metabolism that allows me to eat this ever day I use the fat as base for cooking mostly. Another thing you can do is mince the fat with celery, carrots, onion and herbs etc, use this paste to cover a leanish animal like rabbit and roast. Put some potatoes in the botto of the baking dish and you have the basisi of a pretty good meal.

This link from a recent trip to Southern Spain shows one solution. It is very good.

OH MY! That doesn't fit the modern lifestyle, but wow, it sounds good. This was rendered and then whipped, or just pounded / minced to a paste? I'm not sure anyone else will eat it, but I might have to try this.

My Mom is from San Daniele in Friuli. Best prosciutto hands down - don't believe those bums from Parma!!

Here's her Prosciutto fat recipe.

in a cold pan add a smidgen of olive oil, butter and several slices of the prized P-fat. As it begins to melt and bubble, add a small onion cut into quarters and a large clove of garlic -broken but not minced. When the onion softens add fresh -if you're lucky - or frozen green peas. Pop the cover on it and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Lift the lid and add a small sprig of rosemary and a generous splash of white wine - 4-6 oz...

cook uncovered till the peas are done.

Watch as normally articulate and polite people stab each other with forks while grunting and fighting for the P-fat! Or maybe that's just my family..

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who