• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eats in Winona, MN

zennenn

I wish I would have something to tell you since I studied at St. Mary's in Winona a few years ago. However, I cannot remember a restaurant worth of mention. There was a restaurant by the river that was supposed to be the "fancy one", where students would take their parents when they came for a visit. Unfortunately, I do not recall the name and I do not think it was that good. In addition, after viewing the list below, I do not recognize anything good.

List of Restaurants

Hopefully somebody has a good suggestion for you though.

Alex

Sadly, there isn't much in the way of fine dining in Winona. I'm a graduate from Winona State University. When I lived there, there were two good places -- Zak's in The Hotel (neither exist anymore), and Jackson Street Cafe on the west end of town. Out of towners used to head for the Hot Fish Shop, which also closed years ago.

On the list provided in AlexP's link, I would recommend pastries from Bloedow's Bakery and burgers at Shorty's Cafe (acutally Shorty's Bar).

Bub's Brewing Co. may have decent brew pub fare.

Not on the list, however, is probably your best bet (if it is still open). There's an Asian-themed restaurant called Winona Gardens at 62 E 3rd Street.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Out of towners used to head for the Hot Fish Shop, which also closed years ago.

I remember the Hot Fish Shop, I think, but thought it was closer to the Twin Cities? A Google search turned up no mention of other locations, and I can't believe anyone else would have been using the same name circa 1975?

In fact, I don't think I've ever been to Winona?

SB (whose memory isn't that bad?)(yet)(I hope!) :wacko:

I don't know the name of the place, but if you cross the WI/MN border and head north (they have cabs in Winona, right?) there's a more upscale place. Specializing in Walleye, of course. That's where my grandfather liked to go. My grandmother, Perkins. Sorry not to be more specific, but maybe someone else here will remember.

Ian

Out of towners used to head for the Hot Fish Shop, which also closed years ago.

I remember the Hot Fish Shop, I think, but thought it was closer to the Twin Cities? A Google search turned up no mention of other locations, and I can't believe anyone else would have been using the same name circa 1975?

In fact, I don't think I've ever been to Winona?

SB (whose memory isn't that bad?)(yet)(I hope!) :wacko:

There was definitely a Hot Fish Shop right in Winona - my cousin used to work there. Alas, no more. But maybe there are other locations?

Ian