• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Colorado Springs Restaurants

I'll be there the beginning of November. I believe the Air Force Academy is there so there should be some places for parents to take their budding birdmen and birdgirls, but are there any seriously good restaurants? I'm going with the CFO and he's buying, I hope.

You might want to check out this thread. Sadly, other than the Broadmoor, there really isn't much high end dining in town - and ever since their remodel I have been less than impressed with them. (Although there is a new "American Bistro" opening at the resort sometime Real Soon Now, with Jacques Pepin's son in law as the head chef.)

The Air Force Academy is indeed here, but during Parents' Weekend (or whatever the official name is), they seem to crowd into Red Robin, Buca di Beppo, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and the like.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

You might want to check out this thread. Sadly, other than the Broadmoor, there really isn't much high end dining in town - and ever since their remodel I have been less than impressed with them. (Although there is a new "American Bistro" opening at the resort sometime Real Soon Now, with Jacques Pepin's son in law as the head chef.)

The Air Force Academy is indeed here, but during Parents' Weekend (or whatever the official name is), they seem to crowd into Red Robin, Buca di Beppo, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and the like.

Marcia.

Is the Black Bear Restaurant in Green Mountain Falls any good?

Really high end dining? Beyond the Broadmoor you've got me. The Briarhurst Manor in nearby Manitou Springs *may* be a good choice if you like wild game, but it is very uneven, especially on weekends and holidays. Let's just say that there are some very drunk guests at times and they don't seem able to handle them nor handle large crowds very well.

Wait, how could I forget The Clilff House also in Manitou Springs. Oh, maybe because I have a toddler and don't get out much lately. :raz: They have a good wine list and are in a quaint bed and breakfast type hotel. Still not very fine dining in the standards of a cosmopolitan city though.

Good luck and let us know where you end up dining.

Edited by kellycolorado (log)

For memorable food in C/S, you have to go south of the Academy; could go to Manitou (lots of interesting places there, including a yerba mate coffeehouse, yowza); definitely stop downtown in the Springs. Phantom Canyon is a good Americana standby. The Ritz is nowhere near as good as its name sounds...

The Hatch Cover, a couple of miles south of town, is a tucked-away spot, possibly good for wining and dining clients, if that's what you're in town to do, but perhaps the Broadmoor is best for this... HC has very good seafood and classic American fare... :smile: Good luck.

Is the Black Bear Restaurant in Green Mountain Falls any good?

I haven't been there yet - it's on the list to try sometime.

I agree with other posters that there are far more options in the south end of town - but sadly, I live in the north end of town, and by the time I get down there and find parking I could be most of the way to Denver....which is what we often do :-).

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

• 13 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...