• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vertically Roasted Chicken

Berlinsbreads

I have noticed in all my kitchen gadget catalogs that there's a plethora of gadgets and pans to roast a chicken vertically. For instance, In the most recent Chef's Catalog, there's this stoneware roasterthat you place the chicken vertically on. Anyhow, have any of you roasted a chicken this way? Is there any advantage over the usual method?

yes, i have a gadget for the oven, and i frequently do the beer-can chicken thing on the grill (also a vertical method). both seem to result in a moist bird, with crisper skin than a horizontally roasted bird. also cooks faster. (altho, most of the time when i roast a chicken now, i spatchcock it, which accomplishes the same goals of crispy skin and faster roasting time...)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Except that this is made from clay and runs almost $50, how is it really preferable to other vertical roasters? One can catch juices and put vegetables around it in regular roasting pan ... they both produce succulent roast chicken, steam on the inside and roast on the outside, with less fat and your oven stays clean ... I see no reason to buy this particular product over another ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Michael Chiarello roasted a chicken using the cocorico on an episode of his cooking show. He placed the chicken breast side down (legs in the air) on the cocorico, explaining that as the hot air in the oven gets channeled up the (hollow) cone, the top will get hotter than the base.

Thus, he says, the dark meat which usually requires a longer cooking time can now roast to the required doneness without overcooking the white meat.

Interesting theory, but I'd like to hear from others with practical experience with the cocorico.

If you are going to cook vertical use the original. http://www.spanek.com/ . The Spanek family is amazing and definately deserves recognition for the vertical roaster. I was involved with a member of the family and tried everything cooked this way. I can say that there is no doubt that cooking this way improves the food. I do chicken and game hens this way.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

This Chicken Sitter from Goode & Company here locally is what we use on the smoker. It is a lot more stable than a beer can and it is a lot cheaper than the one linked to in the first post. Yes, I do think that vertical roasting has its charms. I only do it in the smoker though where I can set it up and leave it alone. I had too many messy "dumping overs" in the oven.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I think the difference between the cocorico and the spanek is temperature control from

within. The clay cocorico maintains a steady temperature inside the cavity while the

metal spikes in the Spanick transfer high heat and could possibly overcook the

white meat flesh.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I think the difference between the cocorico and the spanek is temperature control from

within. The clay cocorico maintains a steady temperature inside the cavity while the

metal spikes  in the Spanick transfer high heat and could possibly overcook the

white meat flesh.

I'm sure the two items have different effects, but I can say that I have never had a chicken made with Spanek (or Spanek knockoff) where the whitemeat was overcooked. I'd encourage you to try it yourself. The results are very moist and juicy.

Spanek Roaster History

I like the looks of the cocorico. Is the center spike solid or is it hollow? Is this a traditional style cooker? I haven't seen one before.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

We go vertical all the time. This was a ~17 lb turkey from last thanksgiving having a seat in my smoker for a few hours. My wife declared it the best turkey she'd ever had.

gallery_24244_435_1102146724.jpg

The roaster looks a lot like the Spanek, but I honestly have no idea who made it. I bought it a few years ago at a bbq supply store.