• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parmesan Cheese standards lowered in the U.S.

west2100

Just to add to any confusion, lets not forget about dishes like chicken or eggplant parmesan/parmigian which are covered in Mozzerella. Often just called Chicken Parm.

In a recent short stint working at an Italain deli...we carried Parmigiano Regiano in chunks, Grana Padana in chunks, Locatelli Romano in chunks, and this wholesale bagged grated cheese that went into 1# containers marked Parmigiano Regiano. I had to quit before they hung the 55# Provolone in the front window......Yech

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

As often, I have both good news and bad news.

The good news is that much of the cheese rightlyknown as Parmigiano Reggiano is superb, in fact, one of the best cheeses in the world.

The bad news is that what is produced outside of Italy and called "Parmesan" often has the texture of rubber, the flavor of processed cardboard and the charm of a dead mouse.

Relating to the wisdom of nearly every major and quite a few minor religions on our little planet: "If it is like an egg, it is not as good as an egg".

So be it.