• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Store-bought Duck Confit

Just spotted a leg of duck confit in the butcher's display case in Meinhardt's. Seven to nine dollars each. (Attractively packaged in individual vacuum-sealed plastic bags.) Last week I saw that Oyama had duck leg confit for about four bucks each. (Not individually packaged and kept in a bowl in the display case.) Anyone tried either of them? Any other places to get good store-bought duck confit?

Many Thanks for your help.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends

In Victoria, Choux Choux Charcuterie makes an excellent in-house duck-leg confit ($3.99 each). Like Oyama, the legs are kept in one bowl in the display cooler.

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Just spotted a leg of duck confit in the butcher's display case in Meinhardt's.  Seven to nine dollars each.  (Attractively packaged in individual vacuum-sealed plastic bags.)  Last week I saw that Oyama had duck leg confit for about four bucks each.  (Not individually packaged and kept in a bowl in the display case.)  Anyone tried either of them?  Any other places to get good store-bought duck confit?

Many Thanks for your help.

Oyama's for $4 each.

How can you pass that up? :raz:

Wen

I'd second the Oyama choice, Bubbalicious, and not just because they're half the price. Oyama will also scoop some rendered duck fat into your package--a more succulent way to reheat the legs. Also very good for frying eggs to top the frisee salad you'll no doubt serve them with.

J.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I'd second the Oyama choice, Bubbalicious, and not just because they're half the price. Oyama will also scoop some rendered duck fat into your package--a more succulent way to reheat the legs. Also very good for frying eggs to top the frisee salad you'll no doubt serve them with.

J.

I was going to say the exact same thing- they will pack in as much duckfat as they can for you... the absolute best for roasted or fried potatoes.

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

J.

Or you can use the excess fat to make croutons.....Hmmmmm :raz:

Wen