• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: torakris/snowangel - When Pocky meets pad thai....

Thursday dinner: RecipeGullet

We got home from ballet at 6:30 and I had prepared some of dinner ahead of time.

Finally I had a samgyetang, this a Korean dish of chicken stuffed with rice, ginseng, jujubes and garlic. I didn't actually make this. :huh:

My Korean friend brought the stuffed chicken over last night, she had made a bunch of them and couldn't eat them all. So all I had to do was cook it....

I went to put it in the dish and it landed like this

gallery_6134_1857_7007.jpg

It looks like it is saying "help me! that crazy woman has scissors!!" :biggrin:

:laugh:

Kristin, how is that chicken cooked? Steamed? Boiled?

Edited to add: your children are adorable. I agree with earlier posts - it's fun to watch your kids grow by watching the foodblogs.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Dinner tonight.  Dinner on the run.  It's Paul's birthday, but as most parents know, our birthdays take second stage to the kid stuff.  We will celebrate on Saturday instead.

gallery_6263_35_247862.jpg

Evening Garlic Soup in the Manner of the Correze from Paula Wolfert's brand new The Cooking of Southweat France:  Recipes from France's Magnificent Rustic Cuisine , baguette with Hope Butter, and a wedged Brandywine.  Note that I got the heel.  My kids know better than to take the crusties parts of the bread!

The soup was spectacular.  For something so simple (onions, garlic, chicken broth, a bit of butter or duck fat, two eggs and a bit of red wine vinegar), is was very rich.  I wondered if that amount of soup would feed all of us, and it did.  Especially good was baguette crusts dipped in the soup!  Best of all, once we got home from Diana's parent/teacher conferences, it was only 15 minutes to finish the soup while I got everything else ready.  Note that Paula will be participating in an eGullet Spotlight Conversation November 14-18, 2005.

The accompaniments were perfect.

Thanks for showing us that soup! I just received my copy of The Cooking of Southwest France: Recipes from France's Magnificent Rustic Cuisine and I've been wondering where to start. Now I think I know. (By the way, I just put in an eGullet-friendly link, I think. It doesn't appear that yours is, no doubt because you had other things on your mind.) :wink:

I've had a "slight" homeowner disaster in the form of a basement flood.

So, my roasted tomatoes.  I did the Scarlett O'Hara thing, put them in a tupperware in the fridge and said "I'll think about that tomorrow."  Dramatically wiping back of hand across brow.

For someone who went from drought to frogstrangler wet in a day, and was rewarded with a flooded basement, you're remarkably calm. At least online. Way to go, lady.

This 24/7 blog is so much fun, I predict a future requirement that teams always be half a world apart. :cool:

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Are my tomatoes pooped enough?

gallery_6263_35_43613.jpg

And, if so, what do I do with them now?  They are not in the plans for the next few days...

And, what about all of that oil that is on the parchment paper?

Lookin' good! We had a bumper crop of tomatoes this year and roasted the majority of them. They then went into freezer bags and are sitting in the deep freeze until our next craving for

• pasta sauce - I like them as is on pasta, but you can add sausage or your favourite protein.

Roast tomatoes and their oil are great with a chunky pasta like penne. They go particularly well with borlotti beans (preferably fresh otherwise dried but not canned), some torn basil and some spicey summer salad lieaves like arugula (rocket), mustard, cress and leaf radish tossed through just before you serve. This was a mix of leaves I got from halcyonseeds.co.uk, and I just threw them in on the off chance, with really good results.

You end up with a sauce that has a sweet richness from the roast tomato, an earthiness from the borlottis and a nice cut from the leaves. I also added salt and a quick squeeze of lemon juice. Unfortunately in Ireland, we do not have the luxury of a climate warm enough to yield a bounty of sun ripened tomatoes. You are very lucky in that respect. And those smoked tomatoes sound heavenly.

Thanks for showing us that soup!  I just received my copy of The Cooking of Southwest France: Recipes from France's Magnificent Rustic Cuisine and I've been wondering where to start.  Now I think I know.  (By the way, I just put in an eGullet-friendly link, I think.  It doesn't appear that yours is, no doubt because you had other things on your mind.)  :wink:

Thanks for fixing the link for me! Like I said, this soup was super simple, easy to finish at the end, and the ingredients are those which I always have. I was disappointed this morning that that wonderful aroma had disipated.

For someone who went from drought to frogstrangler wet in a day, and was rewarded with a flooded basement, you're remarkably calm. At least online. Way to go, lady.

Let's not forget the tornado of just two weeks ago! 20" of rain in two weeks is a bit excessive, I think. And, getting the house ready for 30 people on Saturday.

So, I'm calm, but wasn't particularly together this morning. I blithfully assumed (without checking the weather) that it would warm up today, so I jumped into shorts, a long-sleeved T-shirt, a sweatshirt, and donned my Birki's. After my initial post, I went downstairs, coffee in hand, and resumed my demolition process.

So, I was on the late side of leaving for my writing class. I remembered my notebook and coffee, but forgot my camera. I was almost late because the Traffic Light gods were not shining on me.

But, after writing class (a breath of fresh air on a day like today), I hit the farmer's market again today. Had I hadgallery_6263_35_54985.jpg my camera, I would not have taken a single shot. It was cold. 40 degrees, howling wind. I was wishing for a jacket, hat and mittens! The farmer's market was much smaller today that it was on Monday or last Thursday. Only one of the lanes was occuppied. I saw only a handful of tomatoes, which just didn't look great.

So, this is what I got

gallery_6263_35_55333.jpg

Chinese broccoli. More long beans. Thai basil. Eggplants; I'm not sure if this is what I should have gotten, but the sure are pretty and there were hardly any eggplants to be hand, other than the big purple ones, and I was pretty sure I didn't want those. More cilantro -- check out the roots on this bunch!. And, the tiniest green onions I've ever seen.

Detail of the last two items:

gallery_6263_35_54985.jpg

And, I'm just realizing I forgot to take a picture of the pumpkin I got. Each item was a dollar, except for the pumpkin which was $2.00. The ginger lady had no ginger today.

So, I headed off to the Asian market, and as I was pulling into the left hand lane, I realized that not only did I not have my camera, I didn't have my list. So, I continued on home. The traffic lights continued to be against me, so I have missed lunch with Peter.

So, tomorrow late morning I will head to the Asian market, and get myself something for lunch, take a mess of photos, and have lunch with the 4th graders at L. O. Jacob Elementary.

When I arrived home, I was starving, so I ate the last piece of leftover chicken while standing over the seat, and am now happily munching on more of those pretzels. I'll probably need a mid-afternoon snack, something warm. I'm fighting the urge to turn on the furnace.

So, now, back down to the basement, and then a break in about an hour to start some dinner preps. Dinner tonight from RG!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

They are biscuits also with the McVities brand. If McV is selling in Japan these treats maybe on the way...

Hobnobs are coarser textured. Jaffa cakes are a sponge, a dollop of orange jelly and a top layer of chocolate. They are so light they seem to evaporate if the top is left off the box. There was a big court case with the tax authorities a couple of years ago as to whether they were cakes or biscuits, as they attract different rates of sales tax that was settled in favour of the company, I'm glad to say.

Your hobnobs sound like the polish cookies: Delicje. The originals were with the orange jelly but now come in a myriad of flavors. My new favorite is the pear.

gallery_2590_1459_1681.jpg

maggie

There's a yummy in my tummy.

They are biscuits also with the McVities brand. If McV is selling in Japan these treats maybe on the way...

Hobnobs are coarser textured. Jaffa cakes are a sponge, a dollop of orange jelly and a top layer of chocolate. They are so light they seem to evaporate if the top is left off the box. There was a big court case with the tax authorities a couple of years ago as to whether they were cakes or biscuits, as they attract different rates of sales tax that was settled in favour of the company, I'm glad to say.

Your hobnobs sound like the polish cookies: Delicje. The originals were with the orange jelly but now come in a myriad of flavors. My new favorite is the pear.

gallery_2590_1459_1681.jpg

maggie

I've never seen Hobnobs in the States, but they're probably available in spectialty stores. They can be found in Egypt. Wonderful. Some of my Brit friends put me onto them.

....  I blithfully assumed (without checking the weather) that it would warm up today, so I jumped into shorts, a long-sleeved T-shirt, a sweatshirt, and donned my Birki's. 

"Blithfully". I like that word! Is that a writing class special? :biggrin:

I'll be interested to see what's left of our Farmer's Market this Saturday. Temps down into the 20's for the next two nights. I think I can wave goodby to the tomatoes, and the wonderful bouquets I've been buying, until next year. :sad:

My Asian market has a pretty good selection of "treats" which I never look at, nor buy. They are on my list for my excursion tomorrow! It's interesting. They have a VERY limited selection of Japanese cooking ingredients, but as I recall, a fairly large selection of these kinds of treats.

I'm enjoying all the pictures.

Kristin, I join the others in thanking you for letting us see how your beautiful children are growing up. I'm also amazed that your daughters' ballet teacher handmade the costumes. Has the ballet teacher had anything to say about what her students should be eating, how much, etc. (asked as a graduate of the High School of Performing Arts, where my dance-major friends got -- I thought unreasonably -- hassled about such things)?

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm enjoying all the pictures.

Kristin, I join the others in thanking you for letting us see how your beautiful children are growing up. I'm also amazed that your daughters' ballet teacher handmade the costumes. Has the ballet teacher had anything to say about what her students should be eating, how much, etc. (asked as a graduate of the High School of Performing Arts, where my dance-major friends got -- I thought unreasonably -- hassled about such things)?

They are getting big, aren't they? :biggrin:

I actually avoided putting Mia in ballet for a couple years (she really wanted to take it) because all of the places we went to look at were very strict. Hair must be pulled into a perfect bun for every practice, everyone must wear the same leotard, the teachers screams at the kids when they aren't doing it right, etc, etc

I finally found the most wonderful teacher, she smiles through the whole class, the kids are free to wear their hair as they like (it must not be loose though) and wear any color leotard they like. She also hand makes all of the costumes, she has 30+ students with 3 to 4 constume changes each. A costume like the one in the picture would set the parents back $300+(for one), in htis class we just pay for the material andI think it will be something like $50 for all 3...

I do not know how the other classes are about diets, etc but there is nothing in this class, in fact after the class the kids all share snacks with each other.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Dreary day #4 and we have rain forecast everday through next Weds!!

Even in rainy season (June) it doesn't rain this much. :angry:

Our BBQ on Sunday is probably going to be meat grilled on a hotplate party....

I was talking to my friend about what we should make and she said her husband requested that I make my guacamole and roasted chickpeas. So I will be making a chips plate wih guacamole and maybe two salsas, the roasted chickpeas- which I hestitate to call mine as it is actually a recipe from Jack Bishop's Vegetarian Italian book. I told her I would do some kind of dessert and another vegetable dish.

I am halfway through my iced coffee..

Great stuff, Kristin! What's in the chicken stuffing?

sangyetang is a very simple dish it is stuffed with glutinous rice, jujube, ginseg, garlic, ginger, chestnuts.. They can all be added or in any combination.

it is seasoned simple with salt and pepper.

here is some more info on the dish

Susan,

I can't believe it is so cold already, but I do remember occasionally trick or treating in the snow back in Cleveland.

Yesterday it was a chilly 70F here, :biggrin: and that actually is chilly for this time of year!

Tomorow it is forecast to be mid 80's but rain all day....

I am so jealous of your farmer's market! I can't believe the great Asian produce you can get, I live in Asia and can't get any of that!! :sad:

I have a very busy day planned, I need to go to a couple stores to buy foods for the Sunday BBQ and the Saturday sports day bento (if it happens, but I need to prepare anyway), then Hide has a halfday so I pick him up at 11:30 and we will go out to lunch. Two weeks ago his sisters had a day off while he had to go to school and I took them out shopping and to lunch and he was really mad, so I promised him I would do the same...

This afternoon my girls are having a party, planned from three days ago, with about 20 of their friends coming over..... :wacko:

I am supposed to make cookies.

Good morning, Kris!

I had a most successful afternoon in the basement, and think we need to rent a dumpster!

Anyway, as soon as I was got rid of the last vestiges of harvest gold in the basement, I got to work on dinner.

This is one ingredient for the main dish. It also contains some things that are always on hand, as well as something I picked up at Costco yesterday, plus something else I got today at a stop I got today. Any guesses?

gallery_6263_35_24398.jpg

I should mention that the wooden spoon thing in front of the box is my favorite spoon for cooking. Making sauces. Stirring batters. Whatever. My MIL gave it to me as a stocking stuffer back when I was a newlywed.

The other thing the main dish requires is bread crumbs. Since I polished off the rest of the baguette today (slightly stale, but very good with an obscene amount of butter), all the bread remaining is squishy white bread, which is what Peter favors for tuna salad (stay tuned, you will see it) sandwiches. It was quite fresh, so I had to get inventive on drying it somewhat. I figured that if I heat up the burners, and turn them off, it would work. And, it seems to be doing so, quite well.

gallery_6263_35_29039.jpg

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Next, I set to get going on a side for this dish. This side calls for 5 strips of thick cut bacon. Well, I don't have any. The only sliced bacon I had was frozen. But, these bacon ends from Hackenmueller's meats in Robbinsdale are the cat's meow (no cat in this household -- I am allergic -- but figured the word needed to be mentioned). I'm fonder of the bacon that comes from Lenny's Meat Market in New Ulm, but Hack's bacon ends can't be beat. They are one of the very few meat markets I've found that sells them -- $1.49/lb. I'm not sure if this equates to 5 thick slices, but this is what I am using

gallery_6263_35_36902.jpg

The other ingredients in this dish involve a green thing my mom got me at the St. Paul Farmer's Market on Tuesday morning (in Falcon Heights), and onion and chicken broth. Any guesses?

Reminder, it's cold outside, and tonight is RecipeGullet night for me!

Time to take care of my breadcrumbs and help Peter with his story board!

Another hint. The main dish is in the oven. One of the sides is simmering nicely on the stove. The lid on the side will be removed in about 15 minutes so that the liquid can reduce.

I'm thinking mac and cheese but not sure of the side dish......

Bingo! We have a winner!

But, no on the lentils. I don't think they grow them here nor have I ever seen them at any local farmer's market.

No to brussel's sprouts. I never eat brussels sprouts that are picked before a hard frost. My grandmother (a wise and wonderful goddess said never to eat them before a hard frost, and they are even better eaten when one has to "wade" out to the garden in snow boots, snow falling into said boots, when one picks them).