• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: torakris/snowangel - When Pocky meets pad thai....

Susan (or anyone who knows),

I have a question as too the pronunciation of durian. In Japanese they pronounce it DO-rian... what is the actual pronunciation.

the smell is slowly dissipating :hmmm:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

The poison ivy patient has woken, had another oatmeal bath (the food processor does a wonderful job of pulverizing this stuff), another dose of benedryl and is sleeping with Paul. She will sleep with us tonight. But, as she was settling down again, we watched most of a repeat of No Reservations. She likes watching Tony's shows.

So, while her head laid on my tummy, I remembered my earlier blog, and one of the last things I wrote. Iambic Pentameter, in the form of a sonnet (sort of); English/Shakesperean. I'm not particularly proud of this one (I'm sure that when I go to bed, I'll think of a much more eloquent one), but it has been a hard week.

Two women, six children, and two husbands

Living in two very different lands

From some scary attempts to make pasta

to apples and chicken and kobocha

armed with cookbooks and recommendations

Kris and I shared some of our traditions

We learned fo eggs in packages of ten

And Susan wondering "brisket when done?"

We made some curries and ate some take out

In appreciation, Kris and I shout

Dear readers, thanks for support and advice

Through meals of Thai food and bacon and rice.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Susan (or anyone who knows),

I have a question as too the pronunciation of durian. In Japanese they pronounce it DO-rian... what is the actual pronunciation.

I can best approximate it as DOO-ree-ahn.

Duri=thorn

Durian=thorny fruit

Similarly, rambut=hair; rambutan=hairy fruit

The word is Malay.

I disagree that the smell doesn't bother people who grew up with it. Durians are prohibited from mass transit systems in both Singapore and Thailand, where durian-lovers abound but people don't want the smell in an enclosed place. A lot of Malaysians find the smell terrible, but love the taste. Some don't like the taste, either, though I think they're a distinct minority. Me, I used to hate them when I was a kid but found on my last trip to Malaysia that I can really enjoy a very high-quality one, even though the smell is bad. But I still can't eat more than one section in one sitting. Durian is very rich and filling.

Michael aka "Pan"

Great blog you two! :smile:

I can't tell what the creature is in Kris' plant though:

"I discovered a friend living in my sudachi tree"

Is it a caterpillar of some kind? I see a pair of eyes, but can't make out the body of the creature - it blends with the plant so seamlessly.

:unsure:

the tall drink of water...

Thank you both for a truly wonderful blog week. You are both an inspiration.. I really admire you for being so busy, with jobs and volunteering and then the kids and family life, and still be able to put such wonderful food on the table.. I could never do it..

I was already familiar with your cooking from other threads and posts, but a blog really zooms in on daily life.. it was great to be a part of that!

Thanks to both of you. A great blog. Take a bow and then take a well-deserved rest.... but not for too long - I hope to see you both blogging again.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Despite poison ivy and stuck-finger crises, the two of you have put in a wonderful week of blogging. Thank you for all your efforts... it's been fun!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I have lunch with Peter at school once a week, and today was the day.

Do most schools in the US allow parents to have lunch with their children at school? I don't remember that being allowed when I was in school (though at my elementary school, almost no one stayed for lunch). It seems like Peter really enjoys having you come for lunch. Does most of the children like the idea?

The school my kids go to allows it. They have what for the most part is an "open door" policy, which means I can observe them at any part of the day, except when the standardized testing is going on.

I try to eat lunch with them once per trimester, just to make sure the adults that supervise during lunch are on their toes about older kidlet's food issues.

Cheryl

I have lunch with Peter at school once a week, and today was the day.

Do most schools in the US allow parents to have lunch with their children at school? I don't remember that being allowed when I was in school (though at my elementary school, almost no one stayed for lunch). It seems like Peter really enjoys having you come for lunch. Does most of the children like the idea?

The school my kids go to allows it. They have what for the most part is an "open door" policy, which means I can observe them at any part of the day, except when the standardized testing is going on.

I try to eat lunch with them once per trimester, just to make sure the adults that supervise during lunch are on their toes about older kidlet's food issues.

Sorry I neglected to answer this question! All of the schools here allow parents to just show up at lunch. Peter and his whole grade love having me come to lunch. I always sit across the table from Peter, and the kids that sit on either side of me rotate every week.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

This really has been a fun blog, and I applaud both of you. The time zone difference has been especially entertaining. (Mommy, who is Susan and why is she making pasta in the morning? :laugh::laugh: )

Susan, thank you for the extra pasta pointers. I'll keep them in mind next time I try making my own.

Kris, thanks for warning me about the smell of durian. :shock: And those tug-of-war prizes are really cool!

Both of you really are troopers. Here's hoping the sun comes out soon and all children (and their parents!) come through their current crises intact.

Bravissima!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown