• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: torakris/snowangel - When Pocky meets pad thai....

The above lunch, including the BUzz Lightyear box would be Dylan's dream lunch. I'm afraid to show her, for fear I'll need to recreate it! What are the rectangles? Tempeh or egg?

it is the Japanese sweetened omelet

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Dreary day #8, is this really possbible? :angry:

Of course I forgot to buy ground coffee at the store yesterday....so no Toddy iced coffee again this morning. Instead I made up a regular drip pot with some (very nice) coffee I received as a gift last week, it was too small an amount to use in the Toddy.

Remembering this thread on sweetening coffee (raw/brown sugar vs white) I decided to try some turbinado sugar in my coffee.

I bought this last summer and have not used it yet, what do you do with this stuff?

gallery_6134_1857_26002.jpg

I was planning on making pancakes for breakfast today, we usually eat them on Saturday and this week because of the sports day we didn7t have a chance but Hide said he wanted bread to he could eat jam. Of course we have no bread in the house because I haven't made any and he ouldn't be talked into pancakes...

Since I needed milk anyway I made a run to the convenience store for milk and bread. With the kids going on their 4th day off and still one more to go I need more coffee and if the weather keeps up so that they can't get outside I may need something a little stronger.

I am now enjoying my second cup of coffee, I added a bit of cinnamon sugar (this is what Mia eats on toast) to the coffee as well, wonderful! :biggrin:

Japanese bread

gallery_6134_1857_8456.jpg

most bread is of the soft white variety and comes in a square block in one of 3 sizes. I have the 6 slice one, there are also 8 slices and 4 slices. The blocks are all the same same size but the 8 slice one has thinner slices and the 4 slice one has really fat ones. I prefer the 8 slice one but they were out...

Spiderman (aka Hide) made his own

gallery_6134_1857_33126.jpg

the girls won't enter the kitchen because of the smell.... :shock:

speaking of which..

... last night after the kids went to bed my husband and I opened the durian.

gallery_6134_1857_17896.jpg

we took a couple bites and then my husband asked if we had any chocolate chip cookies left, we then wrapped the durian in many layers and put it in the trash and then proceeded to finish off the cookies. :biggrin:

Unfortunately the smell was let loose, I didn't think it would be this bad. I have the windows open, all the ceiling fans going and have sprayed febreeze everywhere.

When will the smell go away??

• Like 1

Today is 100 yen day ($.90) at the local video shop, so I plan on taking the kids there in another hour or so and rent some videos. At the convenience store this morning two new potato chip flavors caught me eye, so I picked them up for a movie time snack. :biggrin:

gallery_6134_1857_28135.jpg

left: jyako-mentaiko (baby sardines and spicy cod roe) flavor

right: tomato and mozarella

they also had a shrimp and mayo one that I passed on..

Japanese bread

gallery_6134_1857_8456.jpg

most bread is of the soft white variety and comes in a square block in one of 3 sizes. I have the 6 slice one, there are also 8 slices and 4 slices. The blocks are all the same same size but the 8 slice one has thinner slices and the 4 slice one has really fat ones. I prefer the 8 slice one but they were out...

I hadn't particularly noticed the slice count of Japanese loaf bread when I was in Japan and wonder about the 4 slices. Aren't people worried about bad luck?

[For those of you who are not Japanese, sets of 4, or speaking that number aloud, is usually avoided in Japan because the sound of the word is a homonym for the word for death. It's like the superstition about the number 13 in the USA.]

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Kris, how much do these loaves of bread cost? My local market sells 1-1/2 pound loaves of squishy white bread for $1.09. I won't touch the stuff! I work hard at sourcing local, great bread, and my favorite thing is when my parents return from Berkeley, CA with a duffle bag of ACME sourdough rounds! I cut them in half, wrap them very carefully and freeze them.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Kris, how much do these loaves of bread cost?  My local market sells 1-1/2 pound loaves of squishy white bread for $1.09.  I won't touch the stuff!  I work hard at sourcing local, great bread, and my favorite thing is when my parents return from Berkeley, CA with a duffle bag of ACME sourdough rounds!  I cut them in half, wrap them very carefully and freeze them.

this was the cheapest one and cost me 134 yen (about $1.25) :angry: another reason to make my own...

how is your pasta going ? I am eagerly awaiting the results!!

I forgot to add that my kids can't understand why I won't take them to the video store until Susan finishes her pasta... :laugh:

They want to know who the heck Susan is and why she is making pasta in the morning.. :laugh::laugh:

One more question!  I have over 1/2 this pumpkin leftover and sitting on the kitchen counter.  What should I do with it?

I use pumpkin to make a sauce with sage, cream and sausage and I toss it with pasta (rigatoni usually) and lots of parm.

I would puree it and freeze it.

... last night after the kids went to bed my husband and I opened the durian....

I have the windows open, all the ceiling fans going and have sprayed febreeze everywhere.

When will the smell go away??

Friday.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I always use part coarse ground semolina flour when making pasta.

It continues to absorb moisture while the dough rests, so it's a better texture for running through the machine.  It also gives the finished product a nice "bite".

Semolina is the milled endosperm of Duram wheat.  It's very high in protein (gluten) and makes a great thickener.  It can even be prepared as a hot cereal or cooked like polenta.

SB :wink:

I actually have some semolina in the house and was thinking of using it.

IF I ever do this again what is a good proportion?

Lots of recipes specify 100%. I generally use 1/3.

You want the coarse ground, sandy textured semolina, since I want it to absorb the moisture more slowly.

I'll often use 1/4 to 1/2 semolina for pizza crust or Italian bread dough too. Just remember it dry out some as it rises.

SB :raz:

OK, Kris, just a few minutes and you can take them to the video store.

I learned two things today. Flour is a friend. And, leftover smoked brisket has more uses than I knew.

OK. Back to the pasta. I tossed the first sheet I made. For the second, I cut the ball in half, so it was much more manageable. I was a little unclear on how many times a person normally does the fold and roll thing, and on how many different setting. But, I persevered. And, once I was done with the fold and roll thing, I realized that a very light dusting of flour on the bottom of the pasta kept it from sticking to the pasta maker as I ran it through, etc. Actually, this was Peter's suggestion as he dashed out the door for an inpromptu neighborhood football game (no doubt more exciting that watching mommy swear under her breath). I quit rolling at level 3, figuring I didn't want to push my luck, as as luck would have it, it was the perfect thickness (thinness) for the sauce I chose).

So, I rolled it all out without a single problem. Yes, flour is my friend. Peter and I chose to cut the pasta in wide, short strips.

gallery_6263_35_15788.jpg

Now, I had given some thought to sauce ahead of time (but had to get through the pasta first to know that's what we'd really have!), and looked over the new Mario book. But, I didn't really use a recipe from his book, just a few ideas. I had a couple of cans of those whole Italian tomatoes, I had garlic, and I had onions. I also had fresh thyme. I also have those roasted tomatoes. And, I have leftover brisket. I made a simple tomato sauce with both canned and a few roasted tomatoes, and whizzed it sort of chunky with my Braun immersion blender and added some whacked up brisket.

Viola!

gallery_6263_35_28826.jpg

I'm so proud of myself. Kris will attest to the fact that tonight is the one we were most worried about. The pasta was great, and the sauce perfect for the shape of the pasta I chose. Smoked brisket does go well both in a tomato sauce and with pasta. I made sure to leave quite a few of those crispy, extra smoky parts on the pieces.

Now, I'd have posted this earlier but I had to run to the drug store for a mess of stuff because Heidi has a nasty case of poison ivy all over her body.

I should add that I used the recipe from the new Mario book for the pasta, as well as his method (except that I kept forgetting how many times I'd folded and rolled!). The only change I made, per a post in the pasta cookoff topic, was to use 1/2 AP flour and 1/2 that "Duram Seminola flour for pasta" that I got at the coop.

I will definitely make pasta again, and this gave me the courage to try stuffed pasta sometime.

Ah . . . The old smoked-brisket-in-pasta-sauce trick. :wink: I recall doing that one time a few years ago when the weather was too hot for BBQ posole and we had this leftover brisket. As I recall, I did something very similar to what you did, Susan. (But, of course, I would never have gone so far as making my own pasta. :laugh: ) I had forgotten how good it was. Thanks for reminding me.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

(But, of course, I would never have gone so far as making my own pasta. :laugh: ) I had forgotten how good it was. Thanks for reminding me.

Yes, it was good. Making pasta was fun, especially once I figured out that Flour Is My Friend. It is more fun than Heidi's poison ivy and ripping moldy drywall out of the basement.

One of the thing about using leftover smoked meat is that I usually just try and use it pretty much straight up. Reheated on buns or in tortillas. This was more of an attempt to "incorporate it" more fully into something else. Reminds me that I should really smoke me some butts soon so I have leftovers for smoked pork pozole!

I forgot to show the picture of the prize my husband and I won at Hide's sport's day. We were on the team that came in 3rd place for the tug of war (out of 16 teams) :biggrin:

gallery_6134_1857_29568.jpg

they are mini ketchup and mayo tubes for bentos...

along with a cap that can be attached to mayo or ketchup bottles for writing or decoration

Hey-

I just wanted to chime in here that both of y'all are awesome, cook and blog fantastically, and have extraordinarily photogenic children.

Kristin- I've been to Japan twice, and sent students there and would love to go back if I could only get the Freeman Foundation to pay my way (with translator) yet again!

Susan- I've been to Minnesota (twin cities even!) and you remind me how much fun and multicultural it is (yay Asian markets and Vietnamese restaurants). Quite frankly, I would also like some of the weather down here in NC!

I'd also like to second Wendy's use of the pumpkin in a sage/cream/parm sauce. I've adapted a recipe by Rachel Ray (ducks!) that is similar and it's muy tasty!

take care,

Anne

I just realized that I haven't posted photos of Heidi and Diana!

If you want to see Heidi, scroll midway down this post or go here.

And, if you scroll down to the last four pictures in this post, you'll see me.

I can't seem to find a good picture of Diana!

I just realized that I haven't posted photos of Heidi and Diana!

If you want to see Heidi, scroll midway down this post or go here.

And, if you scroll down to the last four pictures in this post, you'll see me.

I can't seem to find a good picture of Diana!

I don't know why but I always had you pegged as a blonde.... :hmmm::biggrin:

Tonight, Kris and I are done, and you will welcome a new blogger tomorrow (even tho this will be open until mid-day tomorrow -- here in MN) to answer questions.

But, some reflections:

This has been wonderful.

I have tried many new recipes. I forget how often I rely on the old standbys, never mind that I have many cookbooks at my fingertips. Trying a mess of new recipes, every night, can be exhausting. I've never spent so much time cleaning up my kitchen counters. Never mind that Kris and I have dealt with rain; she with a kid's finger in peril, me with a flooded basment, and now a kid with a really bad case of poison ivy (thanks to an oatmeal bath and some bendryl, is sleeping soundly).

My kids don't want to see the camera for a few days!

And, only on eGullet would one get such great suggestions and great support.