• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Expensive Turkeys

I like David Rosengarten's taste in food, his recipes, his food writing, and I used to watch his TV show, but I can't imagine spending this much for a turkey, even if he does say it's good, and offers a money back guarantee.

Large turkey(s) at $117 (plus $25 shipping) each. Each of these succulent turkeys weighs between 14–18 pounds and provides generous servings for 10 to 12 people, plus lots of leftovers.
Medium turkey(s) at $99 (plus $20 shipping) each. Each of these succulent turkeys weighs between 10–13 pounds and provides generous servings for 7 to 9 people, plus lots of leftovers.

Would you pay this much for a turkey? I've turned some turkeys into good food, but I'm not that crazy over it, or in such hot pursuit of one that I will love, that I would pass up many other food items that $125.00 would buy.

I am interested to hear if there are any turkey lovers who plan to order one, or have any experience with purchasing such an expensive turkey. Do you think he'll get any orders?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Good marketing. I paid $57 for a heritage turkey 2 years ago and it was spectacular. Bourbon red.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Would you pay this much for a turkey?

The answer is no. Hell no.

But here's a question. Are we spending (relatively) more for turkeys than we used to in the 50's and 60's? (I speak for the moment as a "virtual" NY'er, as it's years since I bought a turkey on the Island or in Manhattan.)

I never paid for one myself, being too young, but I remember fondly the turkeys my folks used to bring home from Zahn's turkey farm (memory goes vague: was it in Nassau or Suffolk?) out on the Island, and the quarts of turkey gravy and (I think...) stuffing that used to come home with them. They were great. (Or is it childhood's easygoing memory speaking here?)

Is it possible that, for a turkey of the quality I remember from the Ancient Day -- again, always considering how subjective memory is -- $100 might not be too much, in these days and times?

A not entirely rhetorical question.

Best! -- Diane

Diane Duane | The Owl Springs Partnership | Co. Wicklow, Ireland

http://www.youngwizards.com | http://www.dianeduane.com

Weblog: Out of Ambit

Would you pay this much for a turkey?

The answer is no. Hell no.

Unless it is the poultry form of Waygu beef ... :wink:

I am a loyal Empire man. No brining required either.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Nope, I wouldn't spend that much. I think my parents spent that much on a Turduckhen from Louisiana one year though. But that was a cooked product, which is a little different. A plain brined turkey is pretty good eatin' if cooked properly, and I can't see how it could get much better for more money. I mean, we're not talking wagyu beef here.

Wouldn't pay that much for a turkey---seems like they're selling snob appeal. I buy organic free-range turkeys from a farm about 12 miles away and pay $1.75 per pound (fresh--never frozen or "deep chilled"). A 24 lb turkey cost about $42. I brine them lightly and they're great.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

I'm happy to pay the going rate for an organic free-range turkey, but this seems to be above and beyond the going rate. I am curious as to what the markup is for a Rosengarten turkey over buying a regular Eberly turkey and brining it yourself. If anyone happens to go into a store selling Eberly turkeys, it would be interesting to take note of what the price is.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

I wouldn't pay that much for a turkey, but I'll definitely pay more for a better bird than a butterball.

Last year we got a organic free-range broad breasted bronze and it was absolutely delicious. Actually tasted like something rather than the junk that butterball calls a turkey. This year we were able to reserve a unimproved standard bronze for turkey day. Both are more expensive than a butterball, but not nearly the same prices as the Williams-Sonoma of turkeys above.

I'm with Jason. No. Hell No!

I will pay for local organic free range bird, but that's not nearly as prohibitive as all that.

Poultry as a protein source just isn't spectacular enough to warrant those sorts of prices. Until someone proves to me there is an equivalent to "Wagyu Poultry" it smells like BS, Marketing and overpricing to me.

It's kind of insulting they think we're that stupid/gullible. :angry: I guess that could be said about a lot of things though.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I would like to wager that I can make a better "Roasted Turkey" for Christmas then the type described and being sold at crazy prices.

I'm willing to bet a trip to England all expenses paid that I'm right since I was involved with a similar project with a University School or Agriculture, Poultry Growers and others where we used Amish Turkeys, several eastern turkey farmers from New Jersey and Pennsylvania and other well known providers.

All the Turkeys were delivered to us for comparison both Fresh or Frozen purchased anonymously.

We had over 100 samples ranging from 18 to 39 pounds dressed. We also had 30 Turkeys that we hung in a aging box from hooks with circulated controlled air and humidity. None of the Turkeys were brined or injected, or soaked as is now mostly done with additives with USDA approval.

The Turkeys that were hung were by far the best tasting after Roasting, more juicy, tender with character. The other Turkeys after thawing under refrigeration and the Refrigerated Birds roasted with the same seasonings at controlled temperature were judged to have little variation but the larger the bird the better they tasted.

The brands that had larger breasted birds looked better tableside but the dark meat was drier due to needing more time to finish due to the larger denser breasts. All the Hung Birds cooked more evenly and the fats seemed to baste the meat better with almost all draining off during roasting. The previously frozen birds retained more fat after roasting.

What convinced me about how the best "Turkey" was prepared was by visiting England that same year we did the Turkey Testing. I visited for the Christmas Holidays where I went with my host to pick up our Christmas Turkey from the Smithfield Market.

I was surprised to learn that our bird had been hanging with all it's feathers on the wall of the market stall since it had been selected live at the end of November, dressed except for feathers and wall hung [stalls are all open, but covered] with several hundred Christmas Turkeys and Geese all to be de-feathered, tied and prepared for roasting when picked up for the Holidays.

It seems that almost all the wall spaces are reserved for the same buyers in advance for years with most stalls having a waiting list. Game Birds are also hung for quite a while before being dressed, especially grouse.

I sat down for Christmas dinner with reticence since I thought that I wasn't ready to enjoy hung poultry having experienced Mallards Pressed" and the "Queens Grouse" at the Four Seasons Restaurant Kitchens in New York City that I wasn't fond off eating.

I was awed with my first taste of incredible Turkey it was like no other poultry I had ever eaten previously much better then any of the birds we tested in Ithaca before Thanksgiving.

Thru the years I learned more about the hanging process. The temperature from late November until Christmas at the markets averages from 24 degrees Fahrenheit to about 37 degrees daily. The Birds are rotated and checked regularly and if there is a prolonged cold stretch they could be refrigerated to prevent freezing, but its almost never. When rotating the feathers are always checked by pulling and if they come out to easily the birds are dressed and kept at a semi-freezing temperature until getting picked up by customers.

Since this has been effective for some many years I'm sure it still continues.

So since it's early enough to place my order for Christmas are there any takers for my wager. I have dressed and hung organically raised free range turkeys several times thru the years hoping to copy the versions I have enjoyed at least 6 times in London but never succeeded. The closest I have come was by using a Ban-Bac system that was very close but still not equal.

Kosher Turkeys do have more "THUM ! [but there's still a trick to make them taste better]

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I must confess that I did order one of those turkeys, because I'm really curious. The cost is silly as compared to other turkeys (I normally prefer Diestel Organic), but in the absolute sense it's not horrific. People pay that for prime rib at the holidays and never flinch. It'll probably be a one-time thing, but even so, it's bound to be entertaining. I actually really love turkey, and we eat a lot of it all through the year, so the prospect of an especially good one is very interesting to me.

So, uh, I guess that makes me stupid and gullible, and a snob into the bargain, eh? Oh well.

I must confess that I did order one of those turkeys, because I'm really curious.  The cost is silly as compared to other turkeys (I normally prefer Diestel Organic), but in the absolute sense it's not horrific.  People pay that for prime rib at the holidays and never flinch.  It'll probably be a one-time thing, but even so, it's bound to be entertaining.  I actually really love turkey, and we eat a lot of it all through the year, so the prospect of an especially good one is very interesting to me.

So, uh, I guess that makes me stupid and gullible, and a snob into the bargain, eh?  Oh well.

who knows? but i'm glad someone is, because i wanna know how they are!

i've always liked david rosengarten, and i'm finding it hard to believe that he'd consciously rip people off, so i figure there must be something to this thing. ok, so they're organically raised birds, so you're paying more for them. and then they're rubbed with butter and prosciutto fat and whatnot, brined, etc. etc., so you're paying in part for the prep--the question to me is, do you like the prep he did? if so, what's $100 for feeding 15 people? not that big a deal. i mean, i'm not going to buy one, because i have local sources for good free range poultry*, but i admit i'm curious.

*edited to say also because i'm not hosting thanksgiving and don't need a big ol' bird this year

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

So, uh, I guess that makes me stupid and gullible, and a snob into the bargain, eh?  Oh well.

...No! While I would not buy it, I would never consider someone who does -- especially someone belonging to eGullet :smile: -- stupid for doing so. I am really looking forward to hearing about it.

All the better for you, if you actually really love turkey. I don't hate it; a whole turkey is just something that I prefer way less than just about everything else available. I do cook one once or twice a year, and like the tradition part of it. We brine it and sometimes smoke it. I've also got a recipe that loads it with rosemary and garlic, and we enjoy that.

But, pay that for the turkey... If I liked turkey like you do, I would; however, I am in the hell no contingent. I am one who would pay that much for a prime rib roast and have!

Please keep us posted.

I think if you lived somewhere with no access to artisan meats, it would be ok, but you can get a heritage variety (as mentioned by winesonoma) for that price, which would mean great flavor and you'll be helping to support some endangered specieies (by eating them!)

The Rosengarten copy is very cheesy, isn't it?

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

My last wild turkey probably cost about $500 if you amortise all the expenses!

For a domestic turkey, the secret is not how much the turkey costs or the breed. what is crucial is a fresh turkey slaughtered a few days before you consume it. We obtain ours either from a local farmer or a live poultry market in Chicago. No brning or depp frying needed. Just great turkey taste and tenderness.

The practise of hanging game resulted from the lack of refrigeration in the past and it can be an acquired taste. It also can be unsafe. We DO NOT hang ANY type of game, PERIOD.-Dick

I found the price of turkeys Rosengarten uses and figured out that he is charging about $50-60 above the price of the turkey for his special recipe. That doesn't sound that bad to me. Taking 10 to 12 people to a restaurant to eat a chef's special recipe has a much larger markup than that.

It really looked like infomercial-style copy, or like those ads detailing one person's personal experience with weight loss that they are now willing to share with you if you cough up some money.

I do think he could benefit from more professional looking copy and layout, although if the turkeys are as good as he says they are he probably will do a lot of business next year by word of mouth.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

It really looked like infomercial-style copy, or like those ads detailing one person's personal experience with weight loss that they are now willing to share with you if you cough up some money.

I do think he could benefit from more professional looking copy and layout....

Yes, definitely. I've gotten two or three Rosengarten newsletters with links to these infomercial-style, unprofessional-looking sales pitches of his. It really disappoints me about him since I am a Rosengarten fan.