• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

October visit to Paris

Alida Gualtieri

Hi. I will be visiting Paris form Oct 11 to 17th and staying at Hotel Courcelles in front of Parc Monceau. Any suggestions for casual but good places to eat around that area-I will be visiting places like Aux Lyonnais etc but wanted a couple of more casual places to balnace out the more expensive meals. I will also visit the Marais area for the first time-having always concentrated around St Germain and the Madeleine district and would welcome suggestions for lunch or dinner.

Thx

Alida

Hi. I will be visiting Paris form Oct 11 to 17th and staying at Hotel Courcelles in front of Parc Monceau. Any suggestions for casual but good places to eat around that area-I will be visiting places like Aux Lyonnais  etc but wanted a couple of more casual places to balnace out the more expensive meals. I will also visit the Marais area for the first time-having always concentrated around St Germain and the Madeleine district and would welcome suggestions for lunch or dinner.

Thx

Alida

There is a place not too far and not too cher, that I noted in the Digest last November and ate at twice (once great; second time less great) that given we're entering game season, might fit the bill

"November 5th, Jean-Claude Ribaut in Le Monde’s “Toques en Pointe” reviewed the bistro Le P’tit Bougnat, 118, bd de Courcelles in the 17th, 01-47-63-97-11 with menus at 17 €-23 €, à la carte about 35 €, offering such game as: grouse, partridge, pheasant, wild boar, rabbit - with classic sides: celery puree, pears in wine, blueberries and chestnuts."

You're staying in an area that's not known for its inexpensive places.

but I'll see if I can come up with more.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Hi. I will be visiting Paris form Oct 11 to 17th and staying at Hotel Courcelles in front of Parc Monceau. Any suggestions for casual but good places to eat around that area-I will be visiting places like Aux Lyonnais  etc but wanted a couple of more casual places to balnace out the more expensive meals. I will also visit the Marais area for the first time-having always concentrated around St Germain and the Madeleine district and would welcome suggestions for lunch or dinner.

Thx

Alida

There is a place not too far and not too cher, that I noted in the Digest last November and ate at twice (once great; second time less great) that given we're entering game season, might fit the bill

"November 5th, Jean-Claude Ribaut in Le Monde’s “Toques en Pointe” reviewed the bistro Le P’tit Bougnat, 118, bd de Courcelles in the 17th, 01-47-63-97-11 with menus at 17 €-23 €, à la carte about 35 €, offering such game as: grouse, partridge, pheasant, wild boar, rabbit - with classic sides: celery puree, pears in wine, blueberries and chestnuts."

You're staying in an area that's not known for its inexpensive places.

but I'll see if I can come up with more.

Thx-any suggestions even if not inexpensive for the are will be welcomed-I wouldn't mind trying afew nicer places in the area where I am staying as well

I think you will love the Marais! It is my favorite area in Paris. As far as restaurants there, one of my favorites is Le Dome du Marais, 53 rue des Francs Bourgeois, 4th. A gorgeous setting, in an indoor courtyard with skylight-windows covering the courtyard. The food is lovely, a touch of Brittany in the cooking (the chef hails from there) and fairly reasonable "menu" pricing. Be sure to reserve ahead.

P.S. In the Parc Monceau area, DO NOT MISS a little-talked about gem, the Musée Nissim de Camondo. The chateau facing the parc is exactly how Mr Comondo left it, before he died and left everything to the French State. The decorations, the artwork, the dinnerware, and the exotic kitchen make this a wonderful "off the tourist track" experience.

http://www.ucad.fr/fr/04museecamondo/index.html

Here's a photo of one of the gates that serve as an entrance to this beautiful parc:

gallery_6673_1837_930112.jpg

Edited by menton1 (log)

I think you will love the Marais!  It is my favorite area in Paris.  As far as restaurants there, one of my favorites is Le Dome du Marais, 53 rue des Francs Bourgeois, 4th.  A gorgeous setting, in an indoor courtyard with skylight-windows covering the courtyard.  The food is lovely, a touch of Brittany in the cooking (the chef hails from there) and fairly reasonable "menu" pricing.  Be sure to reserve ahead. 

P.S. In the Parc Monceau area, DO NOT MISS a little-talked about gem, the Musée Nissim de Camondo.  The chateau facing the parc is exactly how Mr Comondo left it, before he died and left everything to the French State.  The decorations, the artwork, the dinnerware, and the exotic kitchen make this a wonderful "off the tourist track" experience. 

http://www.ucad.fr/fr/04museecamondo/index.html

Here's a photo of one of the gates that serve as an entrance to this beautiful parc:

gallery_6673_1837_930112.jpg

Thx-will be sure to add it to my list!

Alida

In the Marais, check out Le Relais Saint Paul, 33 rue Francois Miron.

We had a very nice dinner there in June - 3 menus of 19, 25 and 32 Euro.

Cosy place, seems to be favoured by locals, attentive and friendly service, delicious food.

http://www.lerelaissaintpaul.com

Edited to add this

PS: During the same stay, we also had dinner at l'Angle du Faubourg, which was suggested earlier in this thread. We found the restaurant very comfortable and the food good, but felt that the service and the atmosphere was too impersonal. Or perhaps it was just that we didn't connect with the place on that particular evening.

Edited by Newburg (log)

In the Marais, check out Le Relais Saint Paul, 33 rue Francois Miron.

We had a very nice dinner there in June - 3 menus of 19, 25 and 32 Euro.

Cosy place, seems to be favoured by locals, attentive and friendly service, delicious food.

http://www.lerelaissaintpaul.com

Edited to add this

PS: During the same stay, we also had dinner at l'Angle du Faubourg, which was suggested earlier in this thread. We found the restaurant very comfortable and the food good, but felt that the service and the atmosphere was too impersonal. Or perhaps it was just that we didn't connect with the place on that particular evening.

Many thx for suggestions!

Alida