• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Texas Butchers Topic

Kevin72

This is a thread for you to post about your favorite local butcher. Pics, stories, memorable meals, whatever.

I go with Rudolf’s, in downtown Dallas.

gallery_19696_582_121221.jpg

I happened across them completely by accident shortly after I moved here, and have been a loyal fan ever since. You get a warm greeting every time you go in. I went there yesterday to by a Porterhouse for a fiorentina (see link in my sig) cookout.

gallery_19696_582_9306.jpg

They also sell three varieties of Italian sausage: sweet, hot, and just “Italian” which I think is the best. All are sold in one long coil as opposed to separate links.

gallery_19696_582_15402.jpg

Fourth of July just wouldn’t be Fourth of July without Rudolf’s hot dogs, done in the old school fashion and attached to each other:

gallery_19696_582_288245.jpg

More Rudolf’s goodness:

gallery_19696_582_69606.jpg

gallery_19696_582_78303.jpg

So what’s your favorite local butcher?

Edited by Kevin72 (log)

This is a thread for you to post about your favorite local butcher.  Pics, stories, memorable meals, whatever. 

I go with Rudolf’s, in downtown Dallas. 

gallery_19696_582_121221.jpg

I happened across them completely by accident shortly after I moved here, and have been a loyal fan ever since.  You get a warm greeting every time you go in.  I went there yesterday to by a Porterhouse for a fiorentina (see link in my sig) cookout. 

gallery_19696_582_9306.jpg

They also sell three varieties of Italian sausage: sweet, hot, and just “Italian” which I think is the best.  All are sold in one long coil as opposed to separate links. 

gallery_19696_582_15402.jpg

Fourth of July just wouldn’t be Fourth of July without Rudolf’s hot dogs, done in the old school fashion and attached to each other:

gallery_19696_582_288245.jpg

More Rudolf’s goodness:

gallery_19696_582_69606.jpg

gallery_19696_582_78303.jpg

So what’s your favorite local butcher?

I like Hamm's Custom Meats in McKinney.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

The Hong Kong Markets on Bellaire and Scarsdale (the ones I go to) have excellent pork and they will cut it to order. Their chicken is terrific. I buy the "parts" for stock and there is someting different here. The fat doesn't congeal in the fridge. Polyunsturated chickens? :blink:

I am on the hunt for a source for good pork fat to make lard. The stuff in the packages at Fiesta Mart has too much meat and other gunk. (I have been known to use it for carnitas.)

Any info on butcher shops in the Bay Area or Texas City would be appreciated.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Good point . . . DUH!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 7 months later...