• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fink's Funky Chicken & Ribs

Rachel Perlow

Odd, it is a chicken and rib place and no mention of chicken or ribs?

I'll give you that there was no mention of the ribs (other than the name of your joint), but the chicken was the first food mentioned: "The beautiful pink smoke ring in the moist, tasty whole smoked chicken ($7) is proof that barbecue is being done properly at Fink's."

Congratulations on the great review and increase in business. No offense, but I'm sure glad that A) I had no Fink's craving this weekend and so avoided the crowds, and B) we have recently received a packages of smoked turkey and pork butt from Col Klink so I have an alternate source for the next week or two.

Please keep us informed of the crowd forecast. :raz:

Please post when the Pig Roast will take place. I'd certainly drive up from Philadelphia with a couple of folks from down this way for that. Sounds like a lot of fun. Perhaps the Pig Roast and a side trip to Picklelicious would be in order. It's a shame Picklelicious didn't exist when I was growing up in Teaneck. I'd have loved that...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Great review. It read really well. I would have given out more stars though. Best to you Dave. I'm very happy for you. Your hard work is obvious. You earned this and more.

And where the hell else are you gonna get Ham-n-Egss with cheese grits up here in Yankee country.

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

• 2 weeks later...

hey fink! where were ya friday night? sorry we missed you, but we had very tasty cheesesteak, pulled chicken, greens, cole slaw, fries...yeah we "pigged" out (pun intended) :wink: . also took home some of the spicy bbq sauce (heard your mgr calling you on the phone for the price). that's a great sauce, and we can't wait to use it.

anyway, i'm sure we will see you soon...

• 2 weeks later...

Made my first trip to Fink's on rainy Saturday - it won't be my last. Accompanied by my wife and in-laws ( who are in their 80's), we discovered the lunch special - sandwich, side order and drink, all for $7.50. Our intent had been to take out, but the place was quiet and clean, so we ate at the counter. I thought that the pulled pork and pulled chicken sandwiches were both great, as were the freshly-cut fries. I can't speak for the grilled chicken sandwich, but it left my mother-in-law ("Is everything here spicy?") very pleased. Beans were good, but flavored with beef, I think, rather than pork, whick takes a little getting used to. Don't get me wrong - I ate the whole cup. Plan to go back as soon as I can to try the ribs, other sides and maybe a cheesesteak or wrap. This place deserves the recognition it is getting. Wasn't able to meet Fink, but hope he'lll be there the next time.

MichaelZ, if you were there around 12 - 12:30, I probably saw you leaving. I'm not sure of the exact time, but I saw a large group leaving.

"Is everything here spicy?" No, of course not. Just several of the best things. :smile:

I didn't see Fink when I was there, but I think I heard someone yell out "Dave" somewhere towards the back, so maybe he was hiding back there cooking stuff.

A nice couple next to me seemed to be pleased by my recommendations of the Cheesesteak, the BBQ Brisket, the Sweet Potato Torte and the Cottage Fries. Seems like now, a few weeks AFTER the last round of reviews, the new business is STILL flowing in. Its that typical thing where people talk with friends and there's always a second wave a few weeks after a review from that.

Had my first Atomic Dog. I didn't realize it used the same spicy onion mix I frequently have on my burgers there, but hey, it works either way.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 1 month later...

Local Man Finds Herb in Steak Sandwich

RIVER EDGE, NJ - After taking in what was perhaps his 1000th cheesesteak at local eatery Fink’s Funky Chicken and Ribs, Bergen county resident Tommy noticed something special about his sandwich. “What is that, a pine needle?” he asked himself. Upon further investigation, he determined that it must be rosemary. “Is it part of the onions and peppers?” he wondered aloud in a muffled voice. When owner David “Fink” Finkelstein asked how is cheesesteak was, Tommy gave his canned answer of “good as always”, not wanting to ask about the mystery herb for fear of sounding like a tourist. Tommy was reported to have muttered aloud in the car on the way home “I always thought those cheesesteaks were special, but rosemary? Who knew”? Foodie friends sighed “yeah, and…?” when hearing about the discovery.

Edited by tommy (log)

• 1 month later...

I finally ate a smaller dinner to leave room for dessert. Very good blueberry cobbler. Fink had me try the oreo cheescake(individual size.) I'm a cheesecake purist. Keep it plain. I guess if you really like oreos this one is for you.

Hi all,

long time no post!!

Jason, I made that gazpacho you asked for

201, WHERE ARE YOU, we have had sweet tea for 3 weeks, enough online gaming already, our weekly numbers are down :biggrin:

And for anyone else interested we have a cuban sandwich with pulled pork instead of the roast pork and Smithfield Ham. MMMMMMMM HAM

I have been eating Ham on a Biscuit, MMMMMMM BISCUIT

See ya soon

Fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

Hi all,

long time no post!!

Jason, I made that gazpacho you asked for

201, WHERE ARE YOU, we have had sweet tea for 3 weeks, enough online gaming already, our weekly numbers are down  :biggrin:

And for anyone else interested we have a cuban sandwich with pulled pork instead of the roast pork and Smithfield Ham. MMMMMMMM HAM

I have been eating Ham on a Biscuit, MMMMMMM BISCUIT

See ya soon

Fink

Gazpatcho? Cubans? We'll be there tonight.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Fink does it again!

The new Barbe-Cuban trumps even the Barbe-Reuben for improving on the original. This was the best Cubano I've ever had. Jason always orders them whenever we go to Cuban places, but I never saw the appeal. Most are skimpy on the meat and DRY. Fink's version takes his smoked pork, dressed with Goya bitter orange marinade instead of BBQ sauce, Smithfield ham, Cheese and a generous slice of Pickelicious Pickle. Pressed in a Panini grill, it is gooey with cheese and juicy. Fabulous. Even the accompaniments are perfect. The black beans were made with the Smithfield ham bone and the flavor comes through crystal clear. A generous pile of maduros completes the plate.

We also sampled the Gazpacho and the flavor was spot on. A little heat from several varieties of chilies, nice acid and sweetness from the ripe tomatoes, and the perfect amount of cilantro -- just barely enough, even Rosie* could tolerate the cilantro level. I think the texture of the soup could be improved upon. I prefer a more pureed base with diced veg garnish, the tomatoes were a little 'shreddy' IMO. Not bad, but I just had to think of something to critique! :wink:

I think Fink should continue with the cold soups as specials for the rest of the summer -- Vichyssoise anyone?

*Rosie is a member of the "cilantro tastes like soap" brigade (as is Fink).

• 2 weeks later...

wonderful reading and writings about Fink's. who could read these

posts and NOT want to head for NJ? moreover, why doesn't every

decent size city have just such a place? the cubano sounds...(in the

good way) painfully delicious. a small question if i may for non-NJ-ians,

just what is the breakfast meat "Taylor Ham" listed on Fink's menu?

presumably it's a sugar-cured ham as opposed to the salt-cured

country ham we have in the south, but since he features it by

name, is it a local NJ delicacy? also, is there any reason you can't

get barbeque with your eggs and cheese grits?

Ecce homo qui est farba

• 2 months later...

I tried an experiment yesterday........

Bacon chocolate chip cookies

Yes, I said bacon chocolate chip cookies.

I just added a tablespoon of bacon fat and about 3/4 cup chopped bacon to a standard cookie recipe and tahdah!!

Crunchy, smokey, chocolatey, porky, yummy.

I think they may be a regular item.

Inspiration:

A "Garfield" comic strip about 3 weeks ago where Garfield comes up with it some how. One of the drivers has been hounding me since then to make them.

yum

Fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

YOU. HAVE. NO. IDEA. HOW. AMAZING. THESE. WERE.

Jason, almost cross posted with you, but where the fuck was I???

I dont typically volunteer that I dined with anyone unless they say its OK, some people are touchy about it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Oh please. I mean awww, sweet! Or did I step on your toes by letting the cat out of the bag? :biggrin:

I was just getting back here anyway to say that I had the pulled pork sandwich platter, and it was totally yummy and hit the spot like nothing else. Excellent meat/fat, sauce/bread ratio. Yum. I could eat another one right now. And I just had a big bowl of macaroni and cheese.

But that bacon chocolate chip cookie... that was spectacular. Maybe I'll start it's own thread. MORE PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW!