• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fink's Funky Chicken & Ribs

Rachel Perlow

You thought there was no cream in there? Then why was it pink? I personally didn't care for it and gave Fink some (hopefully) constructive criticism. To wit, I thought it was too sweet and had too many pieces/shreds of the dried tomato. I was told that the only sweetness comes from the tomatoes themselves. Perhaps there are just too many in there? It could stand a little thinning out and a pass through a sieve IMO.

On the other hand, Ozzy's Chicken Soup rocks.

I checked with Dave, and he only uses a small amount of milk in the recipe. No cream. I actually thought this soup was extremely flavorful. And the minced pieces of tomato are wonderful. IMHO, this recipe should not be changed.

N.B. Zabar's has a "Cream" of Asparagus soup that is non-dairy; creaminess isn't always reflective of cream.

• 1 month later...

Recent Fink's news

Some time this week I will be going to Picklelicous to try and make arrangements to sell some of their pickles at my place cuz I really like them and want and endless supply of them at hand.

If you think you may be in the mood for finks, stop by before this weekend cuz we are being reviewed in the Record and the forcast is for busy with a chance of chaos, so avoid us this weekend, or at least call ahead. I did ask them to push it off a week if possible cuz i am going to be away this weekend so you may still be able to get in.

For those of you who know the cooks, Santiago is going home to Ecuador in a few weeks so wish him well and say hello to his cousin Julio who has been training part time for a month or two to take his place.

We will be doing food at a few events in the area including the Table to Table event that Nick Gatti has mentione; the fireworks in River Edge on July 5th, and possible at the Union County R&B festival in plainfield on June 7th.

For those of you observing lent we DO in fact have fish and veggie stuff on the menu, and will be running a shellfish bisque every weekend until Easter as well as other fish specials. Look for Crabby Patties this weekend. (GO SPONGEBOB!)

And finally, I would like to thank all of the people on e-gullet posters and non posters alike who have helped make it possible for us to get where we are today, your support on line and your patronage at the store have helped us through some rough times and now that it looks like clear sailing ahead I will not forget my e-gullet friends. Sometime in the next month we will be having a going away party for Santiago and I would like to invite you guys to stop in. I will be posting a date and time in the next couple of weeks and I hope to see you there.

Fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

Fink -

congratulations on your continued success!

of ourse, if the Record likes your place (and I'm sure they will), we'll have to take back all the nasty things we've said about their reviewing skills, poorly written reviews...

Paul

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Note: The mention in the magazine recommends Fink's Cheesesteak.

Interesting, we've been to Fink's many times and have never ordered the Cheesesteak. craving for the more typical diner variety -- too high quality, I guess. :wink:

There was another couple there who came because of the Food & Wine article. They, of course, ordered the Cheesesteak, and pronounced it very good. Next time.

Edit: I added a word, PM me if you figure out what it is! :raz:

Dee and I stopped over on Monday night to try the cheesesteak. It was very good.

Full 8 inch roll, very absorbent inside, crunchy crust. A pile of rib eye pieces, with roasted red peppers, onions, other peppers, shreds of yellow cheese and a thin, vinegary sauce. There were a number of very strong tastes. It wasn't as drippy as some steaks I've had in other places, and the roll stood up very well.

We also had the sampler plate of pulled pork, sliced beef, and meaty ribs. I'd rate the pork and ribs very good / excellent, the sliced beef a little drier than I like, although I know some purists favor it that way. I moistened the beef with the drippings from the cheese steak, which was great, then mixed in some of Fink's own bbq sauce.

Cottage fries were OK. Warm apple pie was very good, with cinnamon, allspice, maybe nutmeg. Chocolate ice cream on the side.

I was thinking about the cheesesteak on the way home. Perhaps next time I'm there, I'll ask for the cheesesteak with a carolinas type vinegar and mustard saucing. Same ingredients, though.

Didn't try the deep fried pickles, maybe next time...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Actually, these aren't the deep fried pickles. These are the pickles used to make a nice hot relish. It's pickled habaneros, pickled carrots, and habaneroed (is that a word?) pickles. Very respectable level of heat and just a damn good fruity flavor. I've been begging him to put it on the menu (or at least the specials) for some time now, because I'm convinced it should be shared with the rest of the customers even though I've had it a couple of times!

Actually, these aren't the deep fried pickles.  These are the pickles used to make a nice hot relish.  It's pickled habaneros, pickled carrots, and habaneroed (is that a word?) pickles.  Very respectable level of heat and just a damn good fruity flavor.  I've been begging him to put it on the menu (or at least the specials) for some time now, because I'm convinced it should be shared with the rest of the customers even though I've had it a couple of times!

Mr Fink offered to deep fry one or two when I asked about them. He mentioned the perception of salt seems to be elevated by the deep frying, so a sweeter batter may be in order.

I didn't take him up on the offer. Not out of any dislike for pickles, but because I was eating Dee's ice cream and apple pie. Didn't want to give people the wrong idea.

How do you habanero a pickle? Create a hab broth, let it cool, and steep the pickle in it? Sounds way cool....

rancho gordo

In a weak salt brine soak a bunch o' kirbies, carrot slices, and habeneros overnight

Boil brown sugar or panela with cider vinegar and pour over strained veggies.

let soak 1 week

• 2 weeks later...

Great writeup, I guess I'll have to phone in reservations from now on...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

they mentioned the corn bread.  we never do.  we should.

Its good, but its a bit too sweet for my taste to eat with barbecue. We usually end up saving it for breakfast the next day.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Look, we've got some pull with Fink. We should lobby him to ALSO make a Mississippi style cornbread as well (that's the savory kind that's crumblier, with little or no sugar, and bacon drippings or lard used in trade for that...)

Mmm. Cornbread.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Great writeup, I guess I'll have to phone in reservations from now on...

What's next? The bouncer, the list, and the velvet rope? :biggrin:

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

It's a very nice review. But, no pickle comments...

Fink said he would like to increase his party and catering business in 2003. My guess is this review will help him achieve the goal. The spring time (graduations, fire department wetdowns, etc) will likely help FFBBQ.

He's also in an area where firms may spring for employee recognition with impromptu outdoor lunches / picnics, which are always nice.

edited for focus

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

rancho gordo

Who would be interested in an eGullet-Fink's pig roast sometime in the next couple of months? It would probably be held at a park local to Fink's, and we would try to help NYC people without get there too. Just trying to get figures so we know if this can happen. People who don't need to respond because I know they'll come if they don't have other plans (like a family wedding or something else of that caliber) would be me & Jason, Rosie & Lowell, tommy, Rail Paul & Dee, 201, Double 0, jhlurie, I'm sure there's more, not wanting to offend anyone, so just post, OK? Hey has Hot Dog John changed his username yet?

john the hotdog guy is still "John". his sig is "hot dog john", which is obviously completely wrong, as i dubbed him "john the hot dog guy." :angry:

i'd prolly be interested. the complete lack of beer at a pig roast (as it will be in a public park where drinking is prohibited) seems very sad indeed. someone needs to volunteer their backyard.

what a crazy weekend, and I was away until 9:20 saturday night (note time from landing to cooking is 2 hours 10 minutes, would have been less but I squeezed a fire call in too) I heard stories like ".....the people where lined up from the soda cooler to the hall...." "...stopped taking phone orders at 6:45...." We had 5 counter people, my gm, all of the cooks, and my partner working on saturday and it was still a hurculean task to push all that food out and apparently they did well cuz we have had people coming back already. Sunday was a little less staff and a bit slower bit in less the time.

Luckily, unlike The Times, we knew exactly when this was coming so we were better prepared, although the specific items mentioned in the review flew out the door. We have been selling about 8 times the bread pudding and sweet potato tortes.

Odd, it is a chicken and rib place and no mention of chicken or ribs?

I spent all day and night sunday cooking on the line, and at about 5:30 when the phone wouldn't stop ringing and the customers kept coming in the door and the pile of tickets was starting to get larger and larger I thought back to my days at Commanders and Mexicali and finally had a night busy enough to bring back the rush that you get when things are just going. Steam, smoke, smells, shouts, food flying; get it going right and it is a total endorphine rush to rival crawling into a burning building, screw it up and it will generate a pit in your stomach that can't be described; Sunday was a fine line between the two. But, as the Times review showed, we adjust and learn improving service and quality every week.

So far it seems that about one hour before closing we slow down, although tonight it died around 7:30-8:00 but that may have been the snow. It is also a good time to come in around 2:00-5:30. but again that may have been the snow. I will report back as the week goes on for the best times to come in.

Thanks again,

Fink