• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fink's Funky Chicken & Ribs

Rachel Perlow

Click here for the ABC's faq page regarding "doggy bag" bottles. my question is, does this apply to *every* place that sells wine by virtue of the type of license one must have in order to sell the wine in the first place? or are there exemptions, the existence of which would no doubt be used by the ignorant manager when telling you that you couldn't take your bottle.

it's logical to assume that the ABC rules don't extend to what you do with the bottle after you leave. the fact that you'd take it into your car couldn't possibly be written in to the rules, nor does it seem that they'd want to. i walk to a lot of restaurants.

It's not often that so much good writing gets crammed into such a small space. I found myself able to read deeply. Perhaps cause I've been to Fink's? Perhaps 'cause I know MSP? Anyway, I usually gloss and skim over this weekly piece, this time I read it closely and thought the section much more than it usually is.

Nick

It's not often that so much good writing gets crammed into such a small space.  I found myself able to read deeply.  Perhaps cause I've been to Fink's?  Perhaps 'cause I know MSP?  Anyway, I usually gloss and skim over this weekly piece, this time I read it closely and thought the section  much more than it usually is.

Nick

the article left me with the same feeling, although i hadn't thought of it in those terms until reading your post. it read more like a full-blown review rather than the blurb on the odd coffee shop that i can sometimes be (not that there's anything wrong with that). nicely done. it is sure to get fink some attention. this, of course, is subjective, as i obviously pictured the place and "tasted" the food as i read it.

my question is, how long before fink's becomes so popular that i won't be assured a seat!?!?! :angry:

Edited by tommy (log)

my question is, how long before fink's becomes so popular that i won't be assured a seat!?!?!  :angry:

tommy -

you'll always be a friend of the house! And, you'll sweep by the crowds waiting at the velvet rope in Fink's parking lot.

These crowds will bitch on eGullet about how their reservations aren't honored because big shots get in ahead of them, just like at Babbo, Lupa, etc. :rolleyes:

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

my question is, how long before fink's becomes so popular that i won't be assured a seat!?!?!  :angry:

How 'bout today? The tourists have started mobbing the place. Well, not quite mobbing, but there were no seats when this tourist paid his first visit there this afternoon. I walked out of there with my arms full and $80 lighter. But it was worth every pound.

How 'bout today?  The tourists have started mobbing the place.  Well, not quite mobbing, but there were no seats when this tourist paid his first visit there this afternoon.  I walked out of there with my arms full and $80 lighter.  But it was worth every pound.

those bastards.

i don't think i've spent 80 dollars all together at finks!! what the hell did you buy, and why didn't you drop a couple of trays off at my house? you bastard.

i don't think i've spent 80 dollars all together at finks!!  what the hell did you buy, and why didn't you drop a couple of trays off at my house?  you bastard.

Yep, you'd be amazed how far $80 gets you at this joint. Since it was such a long trip, I figured I'd stock up. For the rest of the day at least. Does 17 miles from JC make it a destination restaurant? Actually, I was on my way back from the city. [go see 25th hour!]. Man, I love the ribs. And the hamburger. And the cottage fries. And, well, much too much.

HOLY @#&%

Well, we were wondering when the Times article was coming and last we heard it was two weeks ago, so when the phone started ringing saturday afternoon we were caught a little off guard. So things got off to a rough start saturday at about 3 and didn't slow down until 9:45. Food took a little longer than usual but we got good feedback from people sitting at the counter and boy were there lots of them! We ran out of Ribs and Pork by 6:30 on Sunday and I gotta go in at 4 to start up the smoker ...Joy. Rachel, sorry but I don't think I will have room in the smoker for babyback till post x-mas but I promise I will have them before the new year.

But all in all it was a good weekend. Saturday was our busiest day and Sunday came in second. OH YEAH AND I SAW A CERTAIN SOMEONES POSTS ABOUT A CERTIAN "BBQ" RESTAURANT LOCATED DOWN THE ROAD AND ALL I CAN SAY IS .......................................................................................................................................................i used to eat at cubby's too :wub:

Edited by finker99 (log)

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

We went there for lunch today after the movies. The place was completely desserted at 2 PM! But I got to meet the infamous Fink who said business couldn't be better. He deserves it. My favorite side so far is the sweet potato torte. It's like a dessert.

How many people can sit at Fink's? I've never been there and want to check it out tomorrow (sunday) night.....is there usually a wait?

There are about 12 seats at the counter. It's usually hard to predict when it will be busy or not, but because of the limited number of seats, you're more likely to wait a bit with a large group. Customers are usually good about switching seats to accomodate groups who want to sit together though.

• 3 weeks later...

Note: The mention in the magazine recommends Fink's Cheesesteak.

Interesting, we've been to Fink's many times and have never ordered the Cheesesteak. Coincidentally, we went there for lunch today, I wanted to try the corned beef hash. It is unlike any hash I've ever had before, but I'm not sure if I liked it. It wasn't moist, more like meaty home fries (the loose crispy kind with peppers & onions in them). There was lots of meat but it didn't taste like corned beef to me. Last time we were there, a lady was raving about the hash, but it didn't satisfy my craving for the more typical diner variety -- too high quality, I guess. :wink:

There was another couple there who came because of the Food & Wine article. They, of course, ordered the Cheesesteak, and pronounced it very good. Next time.

Edit: I added a word, PM me if you figure out what it is! :raz:

Edited by RPerlow (log)

Took out food from Fink's last night, have been there many times, food is great. Wanted to mention the soups are always homemade and wonderful. Last night topped them all, a Sun Dried Tomato soup that tasted as good as most soups I have eaten in good restaurants. Very creamy without cream. A round of applause for Fink's Sundried Tomato Soup!!!

Edited by menton1 (log)