• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fink's Funky Chicken & Ribs

Rachel Perlow

Believe it or not, the heat in the store is about average for most restaurants i've worked in (not the customer areas, the kitchens)

Cooks are used to sweaiting all day, even in winter. So myself and the cooks are used to heat. The counter kids on the other hand, have never worked in kitchens but they are actually getting used to it. I Just chug a bottle of water about every 1/2 hour and the cooks do the same with a bottle of gatoraid type beverages thrown in for variety every once in a while.

hope to see you in our soon to be airconditioned store

fink :rolleyes:

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

There is room at the counter and we do have A high chair for the baby, it really depends on the age of your kids, can they sit at a counter? we have crayons and all sorts of little things to keep kids occupied as well as a kid's menu, so we do have room, but if you don't think the kids would do well at the counter take out is alway's a good option

Fink

The AC works OK, and with the ceiling fans it is cool. I want it to work a little better so I may have the contractor come back and add a couple more vents. The prep kitchen is the coolest room in the place because it has no windows, and the main kitchen is definetely much cooler so all in all it is working.

fink :hmmm:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had breakfast at Fink's for the first time yesterday. The plan was to make up for a bad morning with a really good meal and in the immortal words of Col. 'Hannibal' Smith: "I love it when a plan comes together!"

BISCUITS WITH GRAVY, people!!! I cannot stress that enough! If you're a fan of that thick light-colored country gravy, you'll think you had died and gone to heaven. Take the best example of that gravy you've ever had, multiply it by 5, and then add in lots of little pieces of smoked sausage. Mmmmmmm....

THE CHIPPER: Tired of having all of your breakfast ingredients (potatos, sausage, taylor ham, bacon, cheese, eggs) spread out all over your plate? How about putting them ALL on one sandwich? I added hot sauce to mine, because I generally like some heat with my eggs. Which brings us to...

HUEVOS INCOGNITOS: A mountain of chili burying two eggs over toast. Actually, mine were over a corn tortilla instead (a welcome suggestion from Fink), but it's really the chili that shines here! It's got some really nice heat to it that just sort of creeps up on you and settles in your mouth for a delightful visit.

There are still many things on the menu that I have to try and I'm still very excited about that.

the breakfast tatters at fink's are pretty good. i can sense a liberal amount of butter on them, if i'm not mistaken.

recently tried the steak salad. it's fanstastic. the steak is super flavorful with great texture.

and, as i may have mentioned on this thread (or not), the cheesesteak is fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

I am VERY proud of the cottage fries, after all what cook be better than deep fried potatoes tossed in butter......mmmm......butter......... I mean health nuts be damned!!! if you are going to do it, do it all the way!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Had breakfast on Monday morning.

Best Biscuits & Gravy in a while. Tasty big portion. Certainly the best I've had up North. Ordered with a side of grits. The coffee was good and had a nice strong (not bitter) edge to it. You can keep the disposable paper cup, though. I like coffe in a ceramic mug or cup.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Add the French toast to my recommendations of dishes at Fink's. Excellent flavor brought out by lengthy soaking. And should you ever ask for whipped cream on anything there, you'll be pleased to know that they make it on the spot.