• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stamppot

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

First photograph:
Instructions per bag - 2 minutes:
1. Melt 25g butter and let it become light brown or take one portion of gravy and heat it.
2. Add 250ml water and the contents of the bag.
3. Bring to a simmer and your sauce is ready.
Variation: add 2 tablespoons fried pieces of bacon.

Second photograph:
(Some of the text is missing - torn off)
Preparation:

• Peel the potatoes and wash them
  • Clean the carrots and cut into slices
  • Potatoes, carrots and onions in one . . . . . (Missing text)
  • Meanwhile, bring the milk to the boil
  • Drain the potatoes and vegetables and mash with the milk and a knob of butter then mix to a creamy mass.
  • Add mix and stew, stirring to thoroughly warm through.
  • No salt and pepper added.

Tip:
Tasty with sausages or beef with Silvo mix for beef.

I thank you JohnT.  I was not too far off when I made the gravy. I tried the seasoning mix and thought it very sweet so I did not use it. Is there any indication of the quantity of vegetables that one pkg of seasoning mix is meant for? 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I thank you JohnT.  I was not too far off when I made the gravy. I tried the seasoning mix and thought it very sweet so I did not use it. Is there any indication of the quantity of vegetables that one pkg of seasoning mix is meant for? 

Yep, the quantities are a secret and thus they are hidden in plain sight on the front of the pack:

1kg potatoes

800g carrots

500g onions

1.5dl milk (which is 150ml)

The pack says for 4 servings. The above is actually quite a large amount of vegetables for four persons, especially if you add sausages as mentioned under the "Tip" section. John.

Edited by JohnT
Correct "auto-correct" (log)
  • Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

31 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Yep, the quantities are a secret and thus they are hidden in plain sight on the front of the pack:

1kg potatoes

800g carrots

500g onions

1.5dl milk (which is 150ml)

The pack says for 4 servings. The above is actually quite a large amount of vegetables for four persons, especially if you add sausages as mentioned under the "Tip" section. John.

Thank you. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog