• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martha's "Apprentice" show task:

K8memphis

The next Martha's Apprentice show is going to have some kind of wedding cake competition in the next episode. Wednesday night in my area. Plus I think other cable channels carry it later in the week as a leftover, ah I mean re-run. :biggrin: Just an intriguing fyi.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Oh, I do hope they find (or manufacture) a true Bridezilla to play the client...

Oooooh, now wouldn't that be fun????

However, anything having to do with Martha Stewart, or trying to watch people construct wedding

cakes, is far far too painful for me to watch.

I hate Martha. But not for reasons most people hate Martha. I hate her because I have this wonderful portfolio of original cake designs and my own ideas, but I always get brides at

my consultations with her magazines in hand, asking me to copy whatever it is MARTHA has decided

deserves to be fashionable and trendy. To be honest, I find a lot of cakes in her publications are plain just NO FUN to do. Ok, so call me the "Jan Brady" of cake artists.......

It's always MARTHA MARTHA MARTHA!!!!!!!! :raz::laugh:

Ok, make that Jan Brady with a lisp...... :raz:

Oh, I do hope they find (or manufacture) a true Bridezilla to play the client...

Oooooh, now wouldn't that be fun????

However, anything having to do with Martha Stewart, or trying to watch people construct wedding

cakes, is far far too painful for me to watch.

I hate Martha. But not for reasons most people hate Martha. I hate her because I have this wonderful portfolio of original cake designs and my own ideas, but I always get brides at

my consultations with her magazines in hand, asking me to copy whatever it is MARTHA has decided

deserves to be fashionable and trendy. To be honest, I find a lot of cakes in her publications are plain just NO FUN to do. Ok, so call me the "Jan Brady" of cake artists.......

It's always MARTHA MARTHA MARTHA!!!!!!!! :raz::laugh:

Ok, make that Jan Brady with a lisp...... :raz:

So, more like Jan crossed with Cindy? :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Ok, so call me the "Jan Brady" of cake artists.......

It's always MARTHA MARTHA MARTHA!!!!!!!! :raz:  :laugh:

Ok, make that Jan Brady with a lisp......  :raz:

That's funny..... I call her "Martha Martha Martha" too! :biggrin:

I vote that it won't be a Bridezilla. I vote that it'll be a really stupid cake design (like one with HARD CANDY glued all over it that people will break a tooth on) or something just plain ridiculously ugly and the bride will think it's fabulous. Or it'll be some wonderful design we've already seen before by some OTHER cake artist who won't get the design credit. :hmmm:

Or it'll be some wonderful design we've already seen before by some OTHER cake artist who won't get the design credit. 

That's another reason I hate Martha.....her mags are filled with designs from talented, hard working cake artists, but the credits for the cakes are in very small print. What always ends up happening is that any cake featured in her magazines inevitably gets called a "Martha Stewart Cake". If I were one of the cake artists contributing my talents to the magazine, I'd certainly be upset that my design was being misconstrued as a "Martha" cake rather than an "Anne Welch Cake".

Oh, man, on the other apprentice, the D Trump one, they had the guys against the girls doing a lamborgenni (howdoyouspellthat) car commercial and the guys were so-o cocky...well they lost. Man, I can just picture some 'self-assured' people thinking they can do this (a wed cake) by themselves. Whoohoo this has great potential for some high drama.

Neil, a bridzilla would be perfect! Great idea.

Of course you could have a bitchy florist do some serious damage too, wedding coordinator, mothers of bride & groom, oh the possibilities. Wonder if it will be for a real wedding. That would be so cool -- have mercy! It would increase the pressure to the nth power. Whoa, that's making me nervous :laugh:

The baking, stacking, icing, delivery oh man I hope this is good. Plus they have to outdo the other team. Hey, wonder if we'll hear the word Wilton? Does K-Mart carry Wilton like Wal-Mart & Michael's & stuff??

Or it'll be some wonderful design we've already seen before by some OTHER cake artist who won't get the design credit. 

That's another reason I hate Martha.....her mags are filled with designs from talented, hard working cake artists, but the credits for the cakes are in very small print. What always ends up happening is that any cake featured in her magazines inevitably gets called a "Martha Stewart Cake". If I were one of the cake artists contributing my talents to the magazine, I'd certainly be upset that my design was being misconstrued as a "Martha" cake rather than an "Anne Welch Cake".

If you're working for Martha, it gets her name. IMO, it's no different from a design engineer at GE who invents a new technology but the patent is owned by GE under the GE name and GE gets royalties, not the creator/designer. At least the cake artists are getting credit, even if it's in small print. This can be used to market themselves for future jobs or their own businesses.

Ilene

If you're working for Martha, it gets her name.

But, you see, those cake designers are NOT working "for Martha". They are independent folks with their own businesses. When her mag features their work, it's great for them and gives them exposure, to be sure. But believe me, the cakes featured in the magazine, do get labeled as a "Martha" cake. I've been in the biz over 15 years, I've seen it.

This is different than your GE analogy.

When I was working at Great Cakes and Edible Monuments in Redmond, my cakes were "Great Cakes" cakes. I knew that and accepted that. Anything I created for them was their property.

Just like your GE explanation.

But now that I'm in business for myself, my cakes are MY cakes. I would not want one of my

own creations to be featured in a Martha mag, and forever hence be labeled a "Martha" cake.

I've worked too long and hard for that to happen. And so have those other cake designers. :wink:

If you're working for Martha, it gets her name.

But, you see, those cake designers are NOT working "for Martha". They are independent folks with their own businesses. When her mag features their work, it's great for them and gives them exposure, to be sure. But believe me, the cakes featured in the magazine, do get labeled as a "Martha" cake. I've been in the biz over 15 years, I've seen it.

This is different than your GE analogy.

When I was working at Great Cakes and Edible Monuments in Redmond, my cakes were "Great Cakes" cakes. I knew that and accepted that. Anything I created for them was their property.

Just like your GE explanation.

But now that I'm in business for myself, my cakes are MY cakes. I would not want one of my

own creations to be featured in a Martha mag, and forever hence be labeled a "Martha" cake.

I've worked too long and hard for that to happen. And so have those other cake designers. :wink:

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't realize they were independent; I thought they were among her many employees who create her various "domestic arts." :smile:

Ilene

The baking, stacking, icing, delivery oh man I hope this is good. Plus they have to outdo the other team. Hey, wonder if we'll hear the word Wilton? Does K-Mart carry Wilton like Wal-Mart & Michael's & stuff??

is there something wrong with wilton?

:hmmm:

personally im hoping they dont do a ral wedding....that is supposed to be a day for the bride and groom that will always be remembered...personally i would not want mine to be remembered as being a disaster if they did mine and it did not turn out great...besides...im not a big fan of martha either....for many reasons

a recipe is merely a suggestion

personally im hoping they dont do a ral wedding....that is supposed to be a day for the bride and groom that will always be remembered...personally i would not want mine to be remembered as being a disaster if they did mine and it did not turn out great...besides...im not a big fan of martha either....for many reasons

No nothing wrong with Wilton at all. I'm glad you asked so I could clarify, but I don't know why you thought that. I learned how to decorate from Wilton yearbooks 30 years ago. However there is a great rivalry shall we say between Wilton and Mom & Pop bakeries etc. Wilton helped create/feed a craze that helped to put them out of business, not to mention the super stores.

Success intrigues me so, as much as there's nothing wrong with Wilton, there's nothing wrong with Martha. I'm not a groupie but there's room for everyone I think.

Wilton caters to the newbie though & I'm thinking most if not all of these contestants are newbies and just wondering if Martha will allow the huge brand name of Wilton to be heard on her show. Y'know how they do commercials within movies now with name brand recognition, like showing them drinking Coke or eating McDonald's in a movie or something. Betcha if one of the teams uses Wilton, Wilton paid for the privilege. Which is why I wanted to know if Wilton was sold at KMart, where Martha markets her stuff. I just haven't been to KMart in forever.

Hey, wonder if we'll hear the word Wilton? Does K-Mart carry Wilton like Wal-Mart & Michael's & stuff??

I can almost guarantee that you won't hear Wilton mentioned. Martha has her own line of cake decorating equiptment that she sells in kits (saw them on Ebay). I'm not sure if KMart carries it since I can't stomach her and don't frequent her "aisle" there.

:laugh:

No nothing wrong with Wilton at all. I'm glad you asked so I could clarify, but I don't know why you thought that. I learned how to decorate from Wilton yearbooks 30 years ago. However there is a great rivalry shall we say between Wilton and Mom & Pop bakeries etc. Wilton helped create/feed a craze that helped to put them out of business, not to mention the super stores.

Success intrigues me so, as much as there's nothing wrong with Wilton, there's nothing wrong with Martha. I'm not a groupie but there's room for everyone I think.

Wilton caters to the newbie though & I'm thinking most if not all of these contestants are newbies and just wondering if Martha will allow the huge brand name of Wilton to be heard on her show. Y'know how they do commercials within movies now with name brand recognition, like showing them drinking Coke or eating McDonald's in a movie or something. Betcha if one of the teams uses Wilton, Wilton paid for the privilege. Which is why I wanted to know if Wilton was sold at KMart, where Martha markets her stuff. I just haven't been to KMart in forever.

:laugh:

me too..sort of... i was decorating on my own for a while then decided to take the wiltons classes...but there r some folks on here that seem to feel that wiltons anything is beneath them..or at least that is the impression ive repeatedly come across..like somehow one is not a real decorator unless one has gone to some sort of pastry shcool that is not wiltons...but the truth is that no matter how any of us have learned..formal schooling ..classes..p[icking it up on our own or a combination fo things..we all work pretty hard for an art that can and is pretty demanding..but would any of us trade it for something else? probably not...i know for me its the creative urge that drives me...and i love it when something ive done turns out as good as or even better than i expected it to..there is joy in that...dont you think?

as for wiltons being sold at kmart.....truthfully ive never paid attention to whether they did or not...espcially since now kmart is no longer in the denton landsacpe..and while martha is associated with kmart ..i do knwo walmart does carry wiltons ..as do many hobby/craft stores and cake supply stores do.....but yes ti woudl be interesting to see how that comes up on her show...however someone would need to post that info here since ive no intention of watching another reality based type show..no matter who is the host for it....so if u see it..share the info please.....

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

Hey, guys, tonight at 8 Central on NBC--just a reminder for anyone interested. What I heard is that they bake real cake (yesss!) and umm, they have to get bookings at a bridal show or exposition, something like that. Sell their design to real brideszillas is what I mean. Oh Gawd I love this!!  :laugh:

god help those poor brides if they screw up

Hey, guys, tonight at 8 Central on NBC--just a reminder for anyone interested. What I heard is that they bake real cake (yesss!) and umm, they have to get bookings at a bridal show or exposition, something like that. Sell their design to real brideszillas is what I mean. Oh Gawd I love this!!  :laugh:

DAMMIT!!! :angry: I'm actually in the process of upgrading my cable just so I can watch MS Apprentice. Doesn't look like it'll happen in time for this so I'm sure I'll have plenty of comments after watching the reruns..... in the spring. :angry:

Having not watched any of it yet....here is the part that uber-bothers me:

What I heard is that they bake real cake (yesss!) and umm, they have to get bookings at a bridal show or exposition, something like that. Sell their design to real brides

ARE. YOU. SERIOUS!?! To think that people with no experience can actually pull off a tiered wedding cake, for somebody's actual wedding!?! Good God, help us all!!!! I will have 100% total disrespect for The Martha should she choose to portray wedding cakes in this manner, like any 'ole schmoe can pull one off, lickety-split-like.

Don't get me wrong, I like Le Martha; it's Le Marthaites i hate. Ms. Martha herself made herself a billion bucks repacking age-old chivalry to the common folk. Genius, I say!

To the person who asked:

Uhm....how much time have you got!? Their "Featherwight" bags are TO DIE FOR! The rest of their stuff......crap! And this is coming from a person who does cakes for a living. :smile:

Somebody please DO keep me informed..... I can't watch the fiasco go down on me telly! :sad:

The rest of their stuff......crap! And this is coming from a person who does cakes for a living. 

Ummmm, make that OVERPRICED crap.

Ok, I like the featherweight bags too. There are other brands like it though.....like Gossamer Wing...they're good.

The other Wilton stuff I like is their plate/pillar systems....they're ok......but I think it's all too pricey.

Pastry bags in particular. No matter who makes them, it just seems they are way too expensive.

The rest of their stuff......crap! And this is coming from a person who does cakes for a living. 

Ummmm, make that OVERPRICED crap.

Ok, I like the featherweight bags too. There are other brands like it though.....like Gossamer Wing...they're good.

The other Wilton stuff I like is their plate/pillar systems....they're ok......but I think it's all too pricey.

Pastry bags in particular. No matter who makes them, it just seems they are way too expensive.

The OVERPRICED unfortunately comes from retail markup.....I order direct from Wilton wholesale in Canada and their prices are rather desirable....but most of their products like colours or whatever I've found better alternatives for. If I had to buy Wilton stuff retail I'd have a graceful coniption...... $1.20 wholesale for a 4-pillar+ plate setup versus $16 retail....HELL--LOOOOOO!!!!!! I doubt Wilton has any control over that......but alas, unfortunately the majority of their product available, wholesale or retail, is overpriced plastic CRAP. Can't disagree with you there.

..... But, can you elaborate on Gossamer Wing?? Never heard of...... :smile:

OK, I'm going to have to bite the reality show bullet and tune in for this episode of Martha. I'm not a fan of hers (too much "I'm the overachiever - everything I do is perfect and effortless - even though there are likely a dozen staffers making look that way, they'll never get the credit" for me, though I would kill for that soapstone-countered kitchen she had on one of her earlier tv shows.

But to watch presumably neophyte bakers try to do a wedding cake? A tiered, presumably fondant-covered, elaborately decorated cake? Hoo hoo boy, won't that be worth watching!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I saw a preview of the cake show and the one cake they showed looked very simple and elegant. It looked like 3 oblong layers with each oblong set off-center. I didn't get too close a look, but I thought it was white with pink flowers. It looked as if the team had an accident as they attempted to put the assembled cake into the van. It wasn't covered in any way. Just on a board of some sort.

Well, each team had a baker :rolleyes: but each team got all stressed out. One guy, actually on the winning team was screaming at his team mate. No evidence of any bridzillas but each cake had to be sold as is, no changes except size.

The loosing team consulted with SYLVIA WEINSTOCK, be still my heart, and umm needless to say they niched themselves into oblivion--didn't sell a crumb, oopsie. Who doesn't lovelovelove Sylvia but her stuff is not mass marketable duh. They went with an oval cake with offset stacked tiers with pink ribbons & bows. Then they couldn't sell it.

The other winning team had a beautiful cake easily appealing to many brides. Different shapes like a hex, round & a square. Plus umm ivory oh yes great idea.

Sugarella, But one other thing, it comes again on some far out cable channel in my area it says cnbc channel 355 thursday 7 central, and nbcw at 11 tonight central time. Just in case you can get it on there?? My kids always call me so I can record for them. Maybe call a friend with a vcr?? :smile:

Folks, it is crucial that everyone stay focused on the topic at hand, and that every post centrally discusses topics related to Pastry and Baking. As the User Policy states:

"Subject Matter and Decorum

Nations where free expression is codified in law delimit free expression by providing penalties for defamation; outlawing hate speech, obscenity, fighting words, and incitement; protecting intellectual property via the copyright, trademark, and patent laws; upholding contractual obligations; and regulating the time, place, and manner of public expression. We respect all those restrictions, and also limit expression on eGullet by two additional criteria: subject matter (we are a food site) and decorum (just as a legislature or other body needs to have rules of conduct so as to allow for a meaningful exchange of ideas).

We do not allow mean-spirited insults or other disruptive posts. We will remove harassing or disruptive messages that bear no substantive connection to topics germane to these message boards, and users who engage in persistent patterns of harassment or disruption will be removed from the site, have their posts deleted, or have their conduct otherwise curtailed, at eGullet's discretion."

Please do not take this as a personal judgment; instead, understand that this focus helps make our forums inclusive and strong. Of course, many members may have the need to vent about the non-food issues in their personal life. However, the eGullet Society forums are not the place for that venting. Feel free, of course, to use the PM system to communicate directly with other members about whatever you wish; if you have any questions, you can PM me.

OK, I'm going to have to bite the reality show bullet and tune in for this episode of Martha. I'm not a fan of hers (too much "I'm the overachiever - everything I do is perfect and effortless - even though there are likely a dozen staffers making look that way, they'll never get the credit" for me, though I would kill for that soapstone-countered kitchen she had on one of her earlier tv shows.

But to watch presumably neophyte bakers try to do a wedding cake? A tiered, presumably fondant-covered, elaborately decorated cake? Hoo hoo boy, won't that be worth watching!

I have to (gasp!) defend Martha at this point - even back when she didn't have a gazillion staffers to make everything fabulous, it was pretty darn perfect. I grew up down the street from her sister in Connecticut, and my mother attended many a cocktail party catered by the early Martha. She was amazing in her perfection then, and holds the people around her to those same standards today.

Say what you will, but she is a perfectionist in her own right, not just because she has people doing it for her.

I'd kill for anything even remotely resembling her kitchen. :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007