• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boulder Beer Company

Susan in FL

We've been enjoying Hazed & Infused, a dry-hopped ale, for the past week or two since discovering a package store near our home that actually has a half-decent beer selection.

The Boulder Beer Company has a new website, so I thought this would be a good time to start a discussion about the beers.

The store we found has a couple of other Boulder Beers, including the Mojo IPA, and I'll certainly try that.

Impressions?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I went to the Chicago Winter Biking Association's Santa Rampage last year, and the bar that we started everything off at had Hazed and Infused as their special for that day. I tried a bottle of it, and I must say, it didn't live up to my expectations. It didn't taste skunky, but it was definitely not like any other dry-hopped ale I've had.

What flavors in it do you feel yourself drawn to?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

The citrusy hops, mostly. Maybe the bottle you had wasn't the freshest? ...Or maybe it's just not your cup of tea.

My own word for the kind of hops flavor that I am drawn to is "zesty" citrus. That might not be descriptive to anybody but me, but it comes to mind when one hoppy beer appeals to me more than another. This was interesting to me also because the citrus seems more lemony than many that we are able to buy.

I suppose some might think this beer is too one-dimensional.

Has anybody tasted the Mojo IPA?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

The citrusy hops, mostly. Maybe the bottle you had wasn't the freshest? ...Or maybe it's just not your cup of tea.

My own word for the kind of hops flavor that I am drawn to is "zesty" citrus. That might not be descriptive to anybody but me, but it comes to mind when one hoppy beer appeals to me more than another. This was interesting to me also because the citrus seems more lemony than many that we are able to buy.

I suppose some might think this beer is too one-dimensional.

Has anybody tasted the Mojo IPA?

That's one hoppy beer you've got there. I generally like hoppy beers but Hazed and Infused was a disappointment to me. I thought it was too unbalanced with hardly any malt presence. While I picked up the lemony flavors you liked, I also got a piney, bitter and resinous quality that I didn't care for. Remember, this beer is supposed to be an American Pale Ale, and I look for more balance than I found here. I also really like a different citrus profile, which I would characterize as more grapefruit than lemony.

Some APA's that I really like are:

Great Lakes Burning River

Smuttynose Shoals

Three Floyds Alpha King

Poleeko Gold (Anderson Valley)

I picked up a sixer or two last year- it was the promise of Crystal hops, in conjunction with the Centennial, that hooked me. Overall I also thought there should have been more of a malt presence, but I really enjoyed the hop quality that was there. I remember that there definitely was the suggestion of lime peel (and maybe lemon) from the Crystals, and I really do like the whole Centennial pine/resin thing. There was an appealing 'freshness' about it, but ultimately the lack of malt didn't keep me coming back for more.

I did try a couple more of their beers- I seem to recall the Planet Porter in particular- and found that to my taste there was an overattenuated thinness in all that I tried. I don't think I've had the Mojo, though.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Susan,

my only experience lately with Boulder Brewing was last January when I was in Longmont, Co. We happened upon Boulder Brewing on the night they were celebrating their "rebirth", and the beer was free! I sampled all their beers, as well as mead from Redstone meadery! My favorite was the Hazed and Infused. I also liked the Mojo, and they had a smokey Scotch ale that was interesting and a decent porter. But it was the Hazed and Infused that I kept going back to. Now, with that said, it was fresh, on tap, at the brewery. I haven't yet tasted the beer from a bottle, even though I just remembered that I picked up a sixer of the Hazed and Infused on my last trip to KC! I will have to do some research this evening!

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!