• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Biryani Allergy

AlexBernardo

I love eating Indian food, especially curries, tandoori meats, and of course the breads. And I do love the taste of biryani dishes, both meats and Kashmiri style. Unfortunately, with eating biryani I get some kind of stomach allergy. I still eat it every now and then, though, sometimes mixing it with plain rice to make it milder but I still end up with the stomach upset. I wonder what's causing it? Anyone have the same experience or venture a guess?

Thanks.

though I have lived on south east asian cuisine all my life, your experience is not unique. many of us still have a similar state

the culprit is actually your own system that is not trained to handle such high concentrations of oils & spices in food.

pakistani / north indian food has one of the highest mixtures of oils/fats (ghee and or plant oils) along with an assortment of spices.

one thing that might help, eat often, eat less amounts and always *cool* your system down with some kind of diluted yogurt (with water - lassi but thinner) or milk.

btw, just as an experiment, on me, excess of capsecium has a similar effect as eating currries - especially the ones eaten at restaurants.

don't know if any of that helps

Alergic to nuts?

Also Biryanis may have raisins, the black ones are fine however those wonderful 'Golden Raisins' have been treated with chemicals to preserve colour and you may be reacting to that.

So I was told by a patron in a similar situation like yours and we switched to the black ones.

Tell the restaurant to do the biryani without the nuts and raisins, perhaps that will help. But a biryani without those nuts and raisins.................

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Thanks, just reading that is enough to give me seizure and stomach cramp all at one go!

If I were to eat biryani and get cramps, it'll probably be the ghee, too rich. Drinking unsweetened tea without milk will aid digestion, though.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

liv4fud. I think you're right. A friend who also love Indian cuisine said the same thing. I underestimate the potency of these delicious dishes. I have to just enjoy them more moderately and endure the aftereffects until hopefully I win out. No way I'm going to avoid biryani!

Thanks to everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this biryani you are making? or taking out from soemplace?

it could be the spice mix used. I get stomach upset when i eat at various restaurants, and on occassion it happened from my mother's cooking too. The only thing I can truly count on is that some spice mixes (podis) are jsut not good for my system.

I don't ahve the same problem, when I cook biryani as I blend my spices from scratch.