• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

duck confit

Woods

Hello, does anyone know where I can find the nutritional values for some of these supposedly high fat dishes? I ask because Paula Wolfert says, in her newest edition of "The Cooking of Southwest France", that properly made cofit is not as fatty as one would think. Any ideas?

Thanks, Woods

Found this:

Total Fat 10g 15%

Saturated Fat 4g 19%

Polysaturated Fat 1.5g

Monosaturated Fat 4g

Choleterol 95mg 31%

Sodium 140mg 6%

Potassium 420mg 10%

Total Carbohydrate less than 1 gram

Protien 20g

from here: http://www.grimaud.com/nutrition.htm

This is for a prepackeged product, but I think it would probably be close to a home-made product. Do not forget that a lot of the fat renders out when reheating

Found this:

Total Fat 10g 15%

Saturated Fat 4g 19%

Polysaturated Fat 1.5g

Monosaturated Fat 4g

Choleterol 95mg 31%

Sodium 140mg 6%

Potassium 420mg 10%

Total Carbohydrate less than 1 gram

Protien 20g

from here: http://www.grimaud.com/nutrition.htm

This is for a prepackeged product, but I think it would probably be close to a home-made product. Do not forget that a lot of the fat renders out when reheating

Thank you. I'll show this to my wife and maybe she can accept it. Thanks for the link too. Woods

I often stretch duck confit like one might stretch bacon. A single leg, shredded, is plenty for four or five appetizer frisee salads with toasted nuts, for example. I also like to combine it with sauteed cabbage and carrots and roll it into buttered filo dough for a duck strudel. This way you can have your duck confit and not worry so much about the fat content.

Hi Woods,

Steaming the duck pieces will remove all the excess fat.

You can steam the duck confit for 10 minutes over boiling water (see page 197).

Use a pair of scissors to cut off any visible fat clumps, then if you want a crispy skin, slowly cook the duck legs, skin side down, in a heated skillet. Pat dry and enjoy!

By the way, steaming aged duck confit is very common in Gascony.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Hi Woods,

Steaming the duck pieces will remove all the excess fat.

You can steam the duck confit for 10 minutes over boiling water (see page 197).

Use a pair of scissors to cut off any visible fat clumps, then if  you want a crispy skin, slowly cook the duck legs, skin side down,  in a heated skillet. Pat dry and enjoy!

By the way, steaming aged duck confit  is very common in Gascony.

Thank you Paula. I will do it and, importantly, remain authentic! Thanks again for the revised book. I recieved it Thursday and it looks great. Woods

duck strudel umm ummm..is that all there is to it? it sounds de-lish

I often stretch duck confit like one might stretch bacon. A single leg, shredded, is plenty for four or five appetizer frisee salads with toasted nuts, for example. I also like to combine it with sauteed cabbage and carrots and roll it into buttered filo dough for a duck strudel. This way you can have your duck confit and not worry so much about the fat content.

Yes, Sabg, that's all there is to it. Sometimes I add onion to it as well. It's especially good with some kind of sauce with fruit to it.

If you go to my personal website (in my signature file), you'll see the strudel plated with frisee and gooseberries.

Do real people actually look at 'nutritional values'-inevitably grossly inaccurate?. That's depressing.

"Real people" who have medical/physiological problems or who just want to eat in a more balanced way use these numbers for a guide, not as true facts.