• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banh Mi in Vancouver?

scout

This past weekend I did it - ordered a House Special from Kingsway Deli (plus their excellent salad rolls) and a House Special from Tiem Bahn Dong (plus some of their excellent baked goods... egg tarts are great).

They were quite different, and if I was doing it again I would probably go with Kingsway Deli, but just by a nose. Tiem Bahn Dong (TBD) had very fresh bread, but more dense and buttery, like a baguette as opposed to Kingsway Deli's more french-loaf style of bun. I liked the size of the pickled carrot and radish at Kingsway Deli, too. TBD uses a good shmear of butter and pate on theirs, and I found that a little too rich for my liking. Both, I think, were $2.75 each and worth much more.

Truth be told, I stocked up and ended up with 5 sandwiches total, two salad rolls, a pork-and-scallion bun, and a nice variety of baked treats for under $20. That was lunch and dinner for a Sunday, and still too much for two people.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally hooked now on my new banh mi supplier in Richmond - New Asia Deli, off #3 Road, across from the Richmond Centre. I think this place used to be under a different name (Keith??). I've only had the meat ball sandwich - about 5 times now. So good I don't want to venture to their other offerings. My usual order is two to go, which at $3.15 each is really not much at all. They also have a 4 for $11 deal, which I just might try sometime. I shake my head thinking about what I would get at the Bread Garden for $6.30, tax included.

The sandwiches are big, wonderfully crusty and flaky, with tasty meatball filling and plenty of pickled veg. I let them "age" on the 10 minute drive back to the office, which leaves the inside more uniformly warm, and the sub a little more compactible, thus reducing the roof-of-mouth shredding that is the price you pay for such a fantastic sandwich.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Totally hooked now on my new banh mi supplier in Richmond - New Asia Deli, off #3 Road, across from the Richmond Centre.  I think this place used to be under a different name (Keith??).  I've only had the meat ball sandwich - about 5 times now.  So good I don't want to venture to their other offerings.  My usual order is two to go, which at $3.15 each is really not much at all.  They also have a 4 for $11 deal, which I just might try sometime.  I shake my head thinking about what I would get at the Bread Garden for $6.30, tax included.

The sandwiches are big, wonderfully crusty and flaky, with tasty meatball filling and plenty of pickled veg.  I let them "age" on the 10 minute drive back to the office, which leaves the inside more uniformly warm, and the sub a little more compactible, thus reducing the roof-of-mouth shredding that is the price you pay for such a fantastic sandwich.

It is a great little place, it's been the same for a few years now I think. The Rare Slices Beef Beef Noodle Soup is really good too, with jalapeno's if you want (yes!), thai basil, bean sprouts and lime wedge. The curry chicken or spicy chicken rice dishes (or bread with the curry) are also good for a quick cheap meal. I've even phoned her last minute before she closes at 8:00 to order take-out soup (with the noodles and beef and garnishes packed separate from the broth, and the basil in a little plastic bag to keep it fresh) and sandwiches. It seems to be a very popular place, lots of regulars, and she has takeout menu's in a little holder outside the door.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I shake my head thinking about what I would get at the Bread Garden for $6.30, tax included.

Those B.G. sandwiches are a really expensive disappointment, nothing like they used to be when made fresh years ago. And, how do they expect one to eat an over mayo'd egg salad on the run (no pun intended) in that type of bread? Messy indeed! :wacko:

courtesy of jsolomon

I shake my head thinking about what I would get at the Bread Garden for $6.30, tax included.

Those B.G. sandwiches are a really expensive disappointment, nothing like they used to be when made fresh years ago. And, how do they expect one to eat an over mayo'd egg salad on the run (no pun intended) in that type of bread? Messy indeed! :wacko:

I use the Bread Garden as a comparison because there is one in the business park where I work, which I use only when I'm truly desperate (like it's 12:50pm, and I've got a 1:00pm meeting that will last the afternoon). I practically cry while waiting in line for a "honey mustard ciabatta letdown". I tell ya, if someone were allowed to park a banh mi wagon in the parking lot they would make a killing. They could charge $6.00 a piece and people would line up.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

i finally got the chance to try out one saigon deli on hornby and was quite happy with my banh mi. got the chicken one with an iced vietnamese coffee :wub: and i was in happy lunch heaven! i do prefer the banh mi's at ba le and au petit cafe, but living and working downtown, it is a glorious thing to have in the neighbourhood (finally). it is amazing to me that a sandwich/sub that tastes sooooo good is at least half the price of regular sandwiches. not that i'm complaining at all!! next stop, i think i'll try the kingsway deli and pop over to the other bakery a couple of doors down to try that durian bun! being from malaysia, that sounds like heaven to me....as do the pandan flavoured ones that were mentioned upthread! :biggrin:

Quentina

This past weekend I did it - ordered a House Special from Kingsway Deli (plus their excellent salad rolls) and a House Special from Tiem Bahn Dong (plus some of their excellent baked goods... egg tarts are great). 

They were quite different, and if I was doing it again I would probably go with Kingsway Deli, but just by a nose.  Tiem Bahn Dong (TBD) had very fresh bread, but more dense and buttery, like a baguette as opposed to Kingsway Deli's more french-loaf style of bun.  I liked the size of the pickled carrot and radish at Kingsway Deli, too.  TBD uses a good shmear of butter and pate on theirs, and I found that a little too rich for my liking.  Both, I think, were $2.75 each and worth much more.

Truth be told, I stocked up and ended up with 5 sandwiches total, two salad rolls, a pork-and-scallion bun, and a nice variety of baked treats for under $20.  That was lunch and dinner for a Sunday, and still too much for two people.

Last night I did it as well - the bahn mi challenge I mean. I am so sad, I even took pictures this time (of the sandwiches) but my camera has since crapped out like the piece of HP crap it is, so unfortunately I cannot share the images.

Poor attempts at inyourendo aside... Kingsway Deli (KD), which is actually recessed 40' or so off Kingsway, is a bit of an old-school operation with a showcase for hot (heat lamp) items and one for cool. It is all white with kind of a '50s kitchen formica feel to it. The sign over the counter tells you what to order by number. Tiem Bahn Dong (TBD) is facing Kingsway, and is a little more modern with warmer browns and a bakery showcase, but no sign or menu. They do have a micro Sandwich Artist station a la Subway that you can look at, and perhaps point to things you want in your bahn mi.

Anyway, I picked meatball because (1) I like meatballs and (2) I wanted to level the playing field as much as possible. KD's was $2.50 and I think TBD was $3.25 but I'm not sure - I bought some other baked goods too, and was only given a total which was so outrageously low I didn't bother verifying it.

Kingsway Deli

Butter but no pate that I could detect, a nice pickled daikon and carrot mix, cucumber spears, cilantro and a touch of green onion, on a chewy bun. The meatball itself was kind of like a tomato-less ragu, if you catch my drift: ground meat in a little bit of very tasty but not red sauce. And I did not notice any peppers in there, but there was definitely some heat.

Tiem Bahn Dong

Butter and pate, carrot and lots of daikon (a plus in my books), cuke and peppers (possibly jalapeno, kind of shredded / julienned), and cilantro on a really nice crispy baguette. This time the meatball itself was a pre-sliced meat "loaf" if you know what I mean, but it was also served with a couple spoonfulls of a tomato / onion / pepper "stew" or sauce that was excellent. The peppers didn't offer too much heat except for one bite, in which I probably ate a whack of seeds and membrane.

The verdict: TBD. I did enjoy the KD bahn mi, and for $2.50 really how can you go wrong. The meatball from KD was actually superior, but the TBD meatball was saved by the sauce. In the end, though, the bread was way superior at TBD so that was why I'd recommend it to someone who may or may not get meatball.

As mentioned above, I also got some baked goods, including the dreaded durian coconut bun. It actually comes in two halves, and I ate only ate one. I wish I could share the picture with you, and more importantly I wish I could share the smell. If you want a close approximation of it then go for a brisk jog, take off your shoes, grab your foot, and inhale deeply. Smell-o-vision at it's best.

Like I said, I could only handle half of the durian bun - it was tasty, and it does taste different than it smells, but I myself have a pretty hard time eating and not breathing through my nose.

The fried banana coconut bun was really good - like a donut filled with a fried banana and some shredded coconut. I also got a chicken bun but N scarfed that one up so I didn't get to taste it. Each bun ranges from a mere 80c to $1.20 so mix, match, experiment. It's cheap.

So the score so far is KD 1 - TBD 1. Anyone want to cast the tie-breaker?

I've got to agree with you, TBD. For me the bread is critical, and I enjoy the pate as well. My favourite there is the "bacon" which is actually something similar to chinese roast pork but sliced into strips like bacon.

I also tried to find the place Keith mentioned, but I couldn't. Unless you mean the place that is a bit west of Sam Po Keith? There are 4 or 5 yellow awnings on that corner.

Cheers!

Last week I re-visited Pho Thy on Victoria (at 39th) to re-aquaint myself with their Banh Mi. The week before, canucklehead & I were at Au Petit Cafe for bahn mi, and I needed to see how Pho Thy compared.

Seriously, you gotta try Pho Thy. $2.75, fresh bread, perfect spices.

A.

I find nothing beats the Banh Mi at Ba Le on Main Street in Chinatown - especially the shredded chicken one. The place has been there for ages.. and the prices have always stayed the same too.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I've got to agree with you, TBD.  For me the bread is critical, and I enjoy the pate as well.  My favourite there is the "bacon" which is actually something similar to chinese roast pork but sliced into strips like bacon. 

I also tried to find the place Keith mentioned, but I couldn't.  Unless you mean the place that is a bit west of Sam Po Keith?  There are 4 or 5 yellow awnings on that corner.

Cheers!

Where is Sam Po Keith located?

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Last week I re-visited Pho Thy on Victoria (at 39th) to re-aquaint myself with their Banh Mi.  The week before, canucklehead & I were at Au Petit Cafe for bahn mi, and I needed to see how Pho Thy compared.

Seriously, you gotta try Pho Thy.  $2.75, fresh bread, perfect spices.

A.

I have always liked the Banh Mi at Au Petite -so I am intrigued by the Pho Thy recommendation - will try soon. Kind of off topic - but what I love about Au Petite actually the beef stew - richly sauced like the French would do - but with enough pieces of soft gelatin-y tendon to remind you that you ain't in Kansas anymore...

gallery_25348_1373_1839.jpggallery_25348_1373_4577.jpg

Edited by canucklehead (log)

• 3 months later...

Looks like a new place has opened in Richmond:

Hue Cafe

6620 3 Road

778 895 1757

10:00 - 18:00 hours

The banh mi were priced between $3 - $3.50

Also on the menu, salad rolls, french coffee, and quite a few other things. Specials too.

It's located right beside Shanghai Wind (across from Richmond Centre).

Decor is nice. Wonder if and how it might affect New Asia which is one block away. (I have no idea as to the quality, as I spied it after hours.) :smile:

courtesy of jsolomon

• 1 month later...

Somewhat off topic, but thought this would be of interest to banh mi fans in Vancouver. Just returned from Christmas vacation in southern California and chanced upon this banh mi fast food outlet called Lee's Sandwiches in Garden Grove, Orange County in the heart of Little Saigon. Bread baked every half hour, wide selection (including "Euro" sandwiches), good quality, pretty cheap prices, always open.

Here are a few photos - all exteriors as the camera was an afterthought...

CaliforniaChristmas2005141.jpg

CaliforniaChristmas2005142.jpg

CaliforniaChristmas2005144.jpg

CaliforniaChristmas2005145.jpg

Lee's Sandwiches seem to be rapidly expanding in California. Any opinions on how would this concept go over up here?

Is there some valid reason for why they run out so early?  Would the bread become too stale?  Do Vietnamese *never* eat sandwiches after 4pm?  It's one of my great culinary frustrations.

I was perusing this recently-bumped thread today and now, a mere half year or so after this question was asked, I can answer it. I was reading an interesting article on Saigon in Bon Appetit and the author mentions that banh mi are traditionally a BREAKFAST food! Evidently the south Asian heat and humidity cause the bread to go all soggy by mid-day, so most Vietnamese eat them as early as possible.

I took Dad-of-SnackyCat for his first Duffin's torta experience, and now he wants to try banh mi too. I think we might hit Pho Ty on one of our next lunch outings...

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

• 1 month later...

I have been going to Asia Market on E. Hastings for my "Vietnamese sandwiches" for years and have always considered it a find. The store is a chock-a-block full of S.E. Asian goodies and is a great place to get packaged yellow or red curry, green papaya, and all of the other essentials. But what brings me there are the Bahn Mi served at a counter in the back by the most charming lady. For $2.25 and the price of a soy milk I am in my own little nirvana. The location at 265 E. Hastings Street is a definite challenge but I don't expect anyone to hang around Hastings and Main to eat their lunch. Instead, I take my Bahn Mi north along Main St., over the railway tracks on the overpass and west along the water to a parking lot on the waterfront where I can sit in the sun, look over the harbour, and have a lovely lunch watching the helicopters land and take off. After lunch just continue west where the road pops up at the Shaw tower. There are few more enjoyable ways to spend a lunch hour out of the office.

• 1 month later...

i have to mention Cheong Le market on Rupert and E. 22nd (map). It's actually sorta across the street from Senhor Roosters.

It's a vietnamese-run grocery store with a deli counter beside the checkouts. We used to buy a lot of banh mi from there when i used to work in surrey, and I'd just swing by there after work to buy some to supplement dinner, or go there on the weekends to stock up on nem nuong and durian and buy a nice banh mi lunch -- a nice reward for all the hard work grocery shopping. They've got vietnamese snacks/desserts too, just like at Kingsway Deli.

Anyways, we've always found the banh mi there to be tasty and reliable. they were $2.25 although it might have changed cuz we haven't been there in a while. i think the little extra kick from the maggi sauce is what makes it. i know the bread's not as fresh as TBD, and the ingredients are probably the exact same stuff as at other places, but after sampling banh mi from all around the city, we always liked how it tastes at Cheong Le a little bit better. Cheong Le opened up a second location on Victoria Drive near 49th (there used to be a liquor store there in the late 80s), and they've got a banh mi counter there too, but it's not as good...turnover is poor there.

btw, i love the "fried meat sticks" (i call them that. they look like pale yellow/orange hot dogs) at Kingsway Deli. I just chomp on them straight. well, maybe with a crusty bun and a beer... my father-in-law really liked them the last time they were in town.

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008