• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Second look at reviews

Rail Paul

I was very impressed with the quality of discussion on the Record's reviews. Several people chimed in with well reasoned criticism, and msp provided a great counterbalance.

I suggest a SHADOW REVIEW team. If an eGulleteer spots a restaurant review with which she or he disagrees, a private e-mail is sent to the team leader. The leader convenes (privately) 3-4 people, who visit the restaurant twice and write 3-4 separate posts. The original complainer can respond or comment. Maybe the restaurant can even be notified, and respond as finker99 did on the smoked chicken issue, if they wish

Whaddaya think?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Sounds great, but complicated. Feel free to organize it! Meanwhile we're going to a place in Bogota tonight. There are three that sound decent in recent posts so we're going to drive around and see what we can get into or looks good to us.

Rachel - you had mentioned Filipino food in the past. FYI, Goldie Luck (Filipino cuisine with an emphasis I believe on the Bicol region of the Phillipines) is on Palisades Avenue in Bogota. They used to have live music on Fridays.

I dropped in Mona Lisa tonight and spoke to the owner on the review.  She was very happy with it.  She is a genuine very nice person.  She said everything the article said was true.  She is expecting to hire another server soon to improve the service.

Rail Paul--Six people can go to the same restaurant on the same night, order the same thing and even have the same waiter and come out with six and sometimes seven  :confused:  

opinions! The purpose of the NJ forum is to write about NJ restaurants and food and food and food!  So keep those opinions coming and everyone should be sure to let us know about everyplace that they have dined

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE