• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavor Phases

avocado

Do you go through phases where certain flavors really appeal to you and you find yourself planning dishes around them? I often find myself so enamored with certain ingredients that sometimes, throughout my day, I get phantom whiffs of them...

Does this happen to anyone else?

Right now, my obsessions are (not necessarily to be combined)

1. Whole cumin seeds

2. Sour cream

3. Dark brown sugar

What flavors keep showing up in your cooking this week?

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

For me this week I'm fixated on the aromas and flavours of Thai green curry. I just can't get enough basil, lime, and coconut in my food this week.

Cheers,

Stephen

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Oh, what a great topic! Right now I have two that I just love... wait a minute, make that three:

1) Smoky Spanish Paprika - La Dalia - Pimenton de la Vera

(Other brands that I've tried were not necessarily as good)

2) Chipotle Yumm! Sauce by Cafe Yumm!

3) Salted Caramel

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Aside from good chocolate, which is a permanent obsession, right now I'm liking:

1. lemon, esp. in a tangy lemon curd (right now I'm sandwiching lemon cream in between shortbread)

2. molasses, ground ginger, cinnamon

3. salted caramel/dark chocolate

4. dark chocolate/ginger

This week it's been all about the basil and tomatoes...summer's last hurrah. I know I have to load up now because once the frost hits, it'll be months before I get any more.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

figs figs figs figs figs figs

Tossed together a quickie sandwich at work today: walnut roll, proscuitto, two halved figs, and a nubbin of goat cheese, heated until the figs were warm and soft and the goat cheese melty. Oh man was that good!

other favorites:

butter (working in a bakery that makes amazing croissants, and working somewhere above the croissant oven will do that to a person0

cheese (see bakery comment above)

ham

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

THese things take much longer to come & go with me. I've been on a pancetta bender for about 4 months now, attempting to perfect my rendition of bucatini / rigatoni / elicoidali amatriciana with a new effort every week or two.

Actually it's that combined pancetta + onion flavor that I find so perpetually appealing, with just the right amount of tomato to throw it into relief.....

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Sandwiches dressed with arugula, cucumbers, and dijon mustard. Those three toppings are so much more than the sum of their parts, at least these days.

My whole family has been eating so much cantaloupe lately. We've had so many really truly delicious ones. When I crack open a new one, the kids ask if it's a "magic melon," meaning one that is so sweet that it tastes like bubblegum.

We've also been on a hard-boiled egg kick for a long while.

right now it's

apples- planning on doing a pork and apple thing saturday

different honeys

beers - especially in marinades or reduced and incorporated into foods

can't wait till it gets cooler and the good root vegetables come in

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Beef.   I rarely eat it, and would almost never plan a meal around it (normally), but the last two weeks have been loaded with it.

That's so funny that you said that, because I've been craving red meat lately, and I usually don't eat that much of it. All I've wanted is steaks, steaks, and more steaks!

I think my cravings bend on obsessions. The local custard place has a concrete with pretzels and caramel sauce, and I'm addicted to it. So, I've been obsessing over the perfect salty and sweet combo in baking... I was thinking a caramel cheesecake with pretzel crust and chocolate drizzled over the top!

Am also obsessed with comfort foods lately... shepherd's pie, beef stew, etc.

Always obsessed with garlic!

Apple Cider

Mushrooms

Crystallized Ginger

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I go through phases. Right now I'm operating in my Japanese mode and just can't seem to get enough real Japanese flavors of Mirin, Japanese soy sauce, miso, etc.

It seemed like that was all I was cooking for a couple of weeks until my daughter protested. Now I space it out a bit.