• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland area Diners

I'm headed to Portland to see friends in mid-October, and thought I'd work on my book while I'm there. That means, I need some good diner recommendations. No chains, no themes... just good old greasy spoons anywhere in Portland/Lake Oswego. Grilled cheese, pork chops, free refills, surly men at the counter... you get the picture.

Many thanks, in advance.

The first thing that comes to mind is Bertie Lou's Cafe 8051 SE 17th. I haven't been there in ages but I hear the food is good and that there can be a bit of a wait because it's so popular. I used to go there back in the early 1970's with my late father, back when "Grandma" and Jake used to run it. I remember sitting at the counter next to a big burly trucker type who was asking Grandma what was good and she replied, "Whatever I make and you're gonna like it!" Great memories. :cool:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Define "diner"?

For me, I've found nothing in Portland I'd call a diner - but then again my definition pretty much begins and ends with O'Rourke's in Middletown, CT.

Malachi --

O'Rourke's is a little more "posh" than what I'm looking for. Instead of omelets with prosciutto, I'd prefer them with just plain ole ham. Does that make sense? A little more home-like. I don't want to necessarily be impressed by food. For me, it's more about the overall "local feeling" experience than just the food. I'm looking for something that's not a bistro, but a little more upscale than a truck stop, but not by much. I know Portland isn't chock full of 'em... but I'm hoping to find one or two. Somewhere where the grilled cheese comes on Wonder Bread and the tomato soup probably came from a can.

The first thing that comes to mind is Bertie Lou's Cafe 8051 SE 17th. I haven't been there in ages but I hear the food is good and that there can be a bit of a wait because it's so popular. I used to go there back in the early 1970's with my late father, back when "Grandma" and Jake used to run it. I remember sitting at the counter next to a big burly trucker type who was asking Grandma what was good and she replied, "Whatever I make and you're gonna like it!" Great memories. :cool:

Thanks for this. I've heard good things about this place and also Kay's (also in the Sellwood area, as I recall).

I'm headed to Portland to see friends in mid-October, and thought I'd work on my book while I'm there.  That means, I need some good diner recommendations.  No chains, no themes... just good old greasy spoons anywhere in Portland/Lake Oswego.  Grilled cheese, pork chops, free refills, surly men at the counter... you get the picture.

Many thanks, in advance.

I would definitely, definitely check out Tosis Restaurant at 6120 NE Sandy Blvd.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

The Hot Cake House on SE Powell, just east of the Ross Island Bridge, I would highly recommend. Very greasy, open very late (possibly 24 hours, not sure), lots of bad coffee. I'm just finishing my dissertation and kicking myself for not spending more time there...

Kartoffel

A Food-Obsessed Linguist

• 3 weeks later...

HI diner girl! If you get tired of the greasy spoon places and want some really good food, check out one of the Ripe places. clarklewis or Gotham Bld. Tavern are both really great. Wildwood, Paley's Place, Park Kitchen, Higgins are all places for some very nice meals in Portland.

My son honeymooned there this week and had nice dinners at the Portland City Grill (awesome views) and Jake's Grill at the Governor Hotel. We also like Jake's Crawfish and the Harborside down by the waterfront. Have fun! :)