• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Business Dinner

Vancitygirl

We are looking to entertain 15 of our Scientific Advisory Board in Washington in November.  Looking for a reasonably priced higher end restaurant that would do the trick.  Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Can you give a a hint about what "reasonably-priced higher end" adds up to?

I'd consider Marcel's, or maybe ask if the back room at Restaurant Nora is available (a nice space).

And, of course, there are steakhouses galore. What do you think they will want to eat?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

We are looking to entertain 15 of our Scientific Advisory Board in Washington in November.  Looking for a reasonably priced higher end restaurant that would do the trick.  Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Can you give a a hint about what "reasonably-priced higher end" adds up to?

I'd consider Marcel's, or maybe ask if the back room at Restaurant Nora is available (a nice space).

And, of course, there are steakhouses galore. What do you think they will want to eat?

We are thinking of about $70 a head. Steak may not be good with everyone. Thanks for the other suggestions. I will check them out.

Gastronomista

I think a restaurant with a private dining room would be your best bet. Here are a few of my favorite restaurants, generally, that also have private rooms:

Taberna del Alabardero (18th street) has two private dining rooms that are sized right for your group. I love the food and service at this elegant restaurant. If you've ever dined in Europe, you know the table is yours for the night to linger and talk. That's the way it is at Taberna.

1789 (Georgetown) is very, very Washington DC and your out of town guests might appreciate the atmosphere. The only thing old-fashioned about this restaurant is the decor; the food is interesting Modern American cuisine. I was once in the Garden Room with a private party and that room has the least interesting decor. Ask to make sure you know where your table will be. I like the Manassas Room. Note: The restrooms are not wheelchair accessible.

I second the recommendation for Restaurant Nora. The food is wonderful, but the food politics can be a bit tedious. Just don't read the flip side of the menu.

KSPS

Business dinner to me always = Corduroy. Different meat/fish/veg options, usually quiet enough to talk, but good food and good wine to impress people you're interested in impressing.

The only downside would be that it's on the 2nd floor of a hotel and so maybe not as impressive on a walk-in as, say, Taberna. But I find it incredibly consistent and delicious.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Charlie Palmer Steak has a private room with one of the most impressive views in Washington - looking up THE Hill at the Capitol Dome. And although they have very good steaks they have several other good options as well (Lobster, Hailbut, Chicken and Duck.

CP Steak Menu

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

I second suggestion of 1789. There are two choices of private dining rooms upsides. The food is the principal reason for the choice...the chef, a close second reason. No spectacular views.

Jaleo in Bethesda (vs. downtown D.C.) would be fun...but I don't know about private dining areas.

Maestro's is logical choice too.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath